project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: cool game  (Read 4270 times)

rudl

cool game
« on: September 16, 2008, 11:15:30 am »
I downloaded and played UfOAI 2.2.1 and here is some feedback:

First of all it's nice to see that there is a turn based strategy game that is not a civilisation clone. Game looks really nice, especially the oriental maps, though it looks still a bit 2D because of the flat terrain, I guess it's probably not easy to make the characters walk over something complex. The first person view is nice too, but rooms don't seem to have a ceiling.

Gameplay: Is it possible to move an aircraft from one base to another? That would be really nice. A list of buildings that are in a base would also be nice, alternate to the 2dview.
I somehow can't get workers on my second base I don't know what to do.

The game crashes about every half an hour in windows. ???
No crashes in Ubuntu :)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: cool game
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 11:49:34 am »
Making characters walk on something non-flat isn't that difficult (though at the moment making characters walk straight at all is almost impossible). Mapping the non-flat terrain is the hardest part. It's easier to use flat floors.

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 06:56:25 pm »
ceilings missing is a map optimisation (set to nodraw). i think the first-person view will be changed or removed in later versions, so this cannot be seen

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 09:06:19 pm »
About that, can't we just treat first person as a special case of the height levels? Like, let's say first person is level 9. Then we can just hardfix all downward faces to be hidden on levels 1-8 and visible on level 9. All faces would be visible on level 9 always. Wouldn't that fix the missing ceiling issue AND retain the optimization? mattn?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 07:07:38 pm »
no, i highly disagree - fpv should be removed - we are not creating a shooter. to be honest i always hated it, from the very first minute.

the fpv should be more like a close to fpv view - like you can see it in games like spellforce (was it spellforce??, ...anyway)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 05:25:54 pm by Mattn »

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 08:00:37 pm »
In my own experience, I've found first-person view to be very useful when planning shots, but only on rare occasions, although when actually firing or moving soldiers, I don't like to stay in it.  On the rare occasions when I find it useful, it is usually so I can see if a civ or friendly target could accidentally be hit by a stray shot if they are almost in the line of fire.

Could it be possible to change f.p. so that it would only be active when holding down the key for it, to make it temporary (and possibly not allowing shooting/movement/action while it is displayed on screen) instead of a toggle?

Juni Ori

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 01:04:27 pm »
I love the fps view, but only in that it gives me chance to see what is and what is in line of fire. As Destructavator, I don't move or fire in it, but simply check the los. It helps a lot and removes the rough estimating, which is however a lot smaller thanks to revolving view than it was in UFO-series or in Apocalypse.

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 11:11:48 am »
I like FPS too, however, I am only a minion. I have put less effort into this game than mattn, who is strongly against. So, its days are numbered (at least in its current form).

intrendent

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 09:57:25 am »
UFO was my fav' game in the past so lovely AMIGA century ;-). At those times
I need real time for an half year, while playing every day 4 hours to reach the
final stage, where we have to ........ :D Ok. I don't will announce.
Ok, already played it 10 times with this Windows 2.2.1 but unfortunately the
game is let me say only 30 % ready ! In three days I reach the pre-end, because
I was not able to built better ships and tanks, but it may be my own problem ;-)
... I wish I could fly ..... lalalala :-) Also already given pre-info's in our WEB Radio's
Forum .....  Keep good times rollin'. All the best for all Your projects, would be
great to have another FINAL stage as the old Original.

thks & rgds

dent

Aiki-Knight

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 07:41:46 pm »
I use the first-person view extensively to plan and monitor my arcs of fire, as well as to deliberate on taking a shot, seeing whether an alien is behind too much cover. I don't play the game as a FPS, but find the feedback invaluable to a careful strategy game.

Werebear

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 03:41:10 pm »
Hi, All!

I was a big fan of X-com, and was delighted to find a new game that scratched that itch, that I could play on my Mac.

I don't know if you have a special place to record Kudos - but this looked like a good place to start.

Kudos, guys! Thanks for making such a cool game!

Werebear