project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UFORadiant vs GTKRadiant  (Read 2713 times)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
UFORadiant vs GTKRadiant
« on: September 14, 2008, 05:54:41 pm »
This is for Destructavator and anyone else who's compiling UFORadiant from the UFOAI SVN.

I have noticed that for me, radiant is vere, very slow. Rendering is slow. Loading maps is slow. Doing anything to the map is slow. For reference, let's take the frame rate for dam.map. Disable the far clip place in the preferences and move the camera in the 3D view so the entire mpa is visible. For me, each frame takes 81 msec to render. Selecting the entire map and dragging it somewhere takes several seconds.

Compare this with the old GTKRadiant which I have installed separately. dam.map has a rendering rate of about 7 msec per frame. Dragging the whole map is a lot more responsive too.

Can anyone try this and report back here? You can obtain the old GTKRadiant from here:
http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/files/radiant/GtkRadiant-1.5.0.msi
It includes the ufo:ai plugin, though the definitions are outdated.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: UFORadiant vs GTKRadiant
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 08:57:13 pm »
I have quite a bit of real-life work I must attend to for the rest of this weekend, I might not be able to test this until next weekend or at least for a few days - That and I haven't made any maps for this project, at least not yet, and therefore don't even know how to work radiant as I haven't touched it yet.

I'll keep this in mind for the next time I get some spare time, although until then if any of the map-makers/editors see this thread, yes, as BTAxis said, it would be a good idea to compare.

I also just recently uploaded a new development build for Windows for anyone who wants to try this and hasn't worked with SVN and Codeblocks before:

http://www.destructavator.com/public/ufoai-2_3-dev-win32_r19141.zip

Again, when I have the time I'll try to compare the two versions myself.