project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Alien using human weapons?  (Read 7569 times)

Offline shazzi2k

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Alien using human weapons?
« on: September 08, 2008, 11:12:13 pm »
I do not know if this is supposed to happen. During my single player after the first 2 missions Aliens started using Human weapons instead of their energy ones. for instance aliens were shooting at me in fully automatic with machine guns and assault rifles. Are they allowed to do this?

I apologize if this has been posted before i tried looking for it but got to 15/48 posts and got bored.

thanks.

Offline RudolfoWood

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Alien using human weapons?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 08:15:22 pm »
why not? You are supposed to use alien weaponry in later game, so why should you prevent aliens from using human weaponry...

Offline shazzi2k

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 10:35:44 pm »
why not? You are supposed to use alien weaponry in later game, so why should you prevent aliens from using human weaponry...

So they regress and resort to using primitive tech?

Offline RudolfoWood

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 04:34:41 pm »
perhaps aliens don't have unlimited ressources of their own weapons?

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 08:30:15 pm »
If a humanoid weapon is effective, I think a smart alien would use it (i.e. rocket launcher)

The only problematic thing is when aliens suddenly start to ONLY use humanoid weapons,
because this means their own weapons would suck, and in this case I wonder why invade
another area/planet when your weapons suck more...

Or, they could be so evil and fun loving guys like the ones from mars attack! movie :)
or just do it to demonstrate "look humans, you guys suck! We even beat you with your
OWN weapons, hah!"

I just think that aliens should in *general* try to prefer their own weapons, so that
it does not become too common to see them all using humanoid weapons

Offline Cpt.Jclink

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 11:49:17 pm »
i think that if you are winning the aliens might think that your weapons are the cause and not your commanding talents so they think that with the weapons they will get a tactical advantage

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 01:57:58 am »

Keep in mind that while the player is researching the alien threat, the aliens could very well also be researching humans - after all, they would want to win the war too, and looking at it one way, if aliens were really trying to invade the Earth it isn't as if they were flying UFOs over bases just so they could get shot down and researched, or setting off terror threats then waiting for humans to come and kill them so they could be cut open by scientists in a lab and studied.

BTW, which version are you playing when this occurs?

Ildamos

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 04:07:15 pm »
Ehm, it ruins the immersive feel of the game. I hope this gets fixed in 2.3.

I'm using 2.2.1 and this happens.

Keep in mind that while the player is researching the alien threat, the aliens could very well also be researching humans

I have to respectfully disagree with your comment Destructavator. If humans could come up with their own plasma-based weaponry in such a short time, why not the aliens? If they want to use our weapons, why not come up with their own versions? What with their superior technology, they could come up with "ubered" terran weapons. Using them "as is" is very jarring to the gameplay experience.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 07:53:41 pm »
I have to respectfully disagree with your comment Destructavator. If humans could come up with their own plasma-based weaponry in such a short time, why not the aliens? If they want to use our weapons, why not come up with their own versions? What with their superior technology, they could come up with "ubered" terran weapons. Using them "as is" is very jarring to the gameplay experience.

they should not use them from the beginning, but during a fight - if they e.g. got out of ammo - they will be able to collect human weapons and use them.

if they spawned with human weapons this is a bug and will (most likely) be fixed.

Ildamos

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 09:29:49 am »
They spawned with it.

Good to hear it will be fixed!  ;D

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 10:32:15 pm »
Should already be fixed, actually. Kracken implemented scripted alien equipment templates some time ago.

odie

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 11:53:30 am »
Ah,

so i guess its a bug? *waiting to be squashed?*

IMHO, aliens should stick to their own wpns.... afterall, their technology is far better than ours....

And in implementation wise of programming, will be simpler - need not track alien's lab research / production / etc issues.......

Can allow programmer to focus on gameplay, UI and graphics / sounds / storyline.

:)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 12:00:36 pm »
There is no modeling for alien production or research at all. The aliens get everything for free.

Offline criusmac

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 02:15:24 pm »
I'm not sure the alien's weapons are better actually.
From a recent playthrough I tried on the stable version, I noticed my human weapons far outperforming the alien's weapons at every encounter.

Sure, the aliens have more powerful hitting weapons, but I could easily rattle through 3 or 4 aliens that lined up while they rarely hit me, and rarely killed me if they did hit. I was using combat armor, which I start with. The fine alien armors didn't have significantly more protection that my armors either. At best, they start on even footing with humans.

There was never a mission where they killed me more than I killed them, and considering they are supposed to have far superior technology... I would have liked:

1) If it was almost impossible to manage to kill an Armored alien with the starting weapons.
2) To Start to win the war, you'd probably need to kill an unarmoured alien, steal his weapon, and then run back to the dropship to escape with it, so you could research it and perhaps start gaining some tech.
3) It would be nice if the civilians did have extremely weak weapons compared to what you can field. Maybe enough to kill an unarmoured alien with several shots, but they should be able to have a general (weak) handgun or shotgun lying around they can perhaps start shooting with. Perhaps some of them will be panicy and shoot at anything that moves, but alas, if you have combat armor, it probably won't do much to you anyway.
4) With regards to armor, it would be nice if the first armor you start with is good against your own weapons, so if you accidentally hit yourself (or a civilian does), it won't do near the damage an alien weapon would. Right now, if memory serves, your beginning armor can't defend against anything you can field, whereas today, in the current world, (from what I understand of howstuffworks) we have body armors that can withstand anything from machine guns to powerful shotguns easily, if you get hit in an armored spot anyway.

Well, anyway, enough random rambling I guess. I just felt the game started way too easy, and nearer the end, after I got better body armor, I could easily take on every mission without anyone getting killed, which seems really unrealistic if they outnumber me, better detect me, and have superior weapons and armor, which will probably be geared towards defending against my type of weapons if they did any previous scouting... Err, I mean...

Offline Kaz

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 12:39:26 am »
At what difficulty level did you play? It certainly sounds like what I encountered when testing in the easiest level. Try pumping up the difficulty level. When I tried hardest I enede up totally frustrated. Couldn't make it through the first mission without having my butt wiped, kicked and served back at me. Several times in a row.

Cheers!