project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 2.3 graphical problems  (Read 4941 times)

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
2.3 graphical problems
« on: September 07, 2008, 04:51:03 pm »
Hi...I just installed UFO:AI 2.3 on Ubuntu 8.04, and when I run the game the screen (or window when windowed mode) keeps randomly "blinking" (not sure if it is the right word, my english isn't perfect) it just goes black for a moment, but it makes it impossible to play because I just can't look at that...I suppose that's cause of my videocard (ATI Radeon 9600, ATI X.Org drivers). I played 2.2 on same PC when I had Windows, and it was okay. I'm still kinda new to Linux (I had to use it after my winXP CD gone wrong), so please, no complicated solutions unless nescessary :)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: 2.3 graphical problems
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 05:18:23 pm »
2.3 selfcompiled?

have a look at your ufoconsole.log (~/.ufoai/2.3-dev/base)

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 05:25:55 pm »
ehh...I'm kinda still Linux noob :) so...I just found downloads here http://trylegaldownloads.de/ubuntu/hardy/nightly-builds/ , downloaded thosepacks and installed some of them (I think it was in this order. common > server data> data > ufoai 2.3) Then it seems to be working, just that bug...I remember having similar bug with Alien Arena that runs also at Q2 engine...never managed to fix it, so I just uninstalled it.

Max

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 02:19:03 am »
Hi all,
Great game!

Same problem for me, a little flickering, then it seems like some library crashes.
I've installed 2.2.1 from repository, 1024x768 no fullscreen. I run an Ubuntu 8.04 on Intel Mac Mini, with no desktop effects. In the first days I have experimented with the video options, but yesterday it was impossible to play the game. So I have reinstalled from repository, it was fine for some hours, then other flickering and video crash.
In that situation the system responds, but the screen is blank. with ctrl-alt backspace the graphical display doesn't recover. The only option is to login on console and halt the system.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 02:55:59 am »
Hmm...you have ATI videocard too?

Max

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 02:30:36 pm »
No, the Mac Mini with Intel processor has an Intel GMA950 GPU with 64MB RAM.
Yet the game has decent graphical quality.

Max

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 06:26:57 pm »
Well, it seems that the problem I reported it's not UFO related. The Xserver on Ubuntu Hardy freezes and flickers randomly on Imac Mini Intel, 'cause a lot of users reported same problems on the same platform. Bad news for me.  :'(