project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Improved Title Animations and other Animations  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Improved Title Animations and other Animations
« on: August 31, 2008, 09:49:16 pm »
http://www.destructavator.com/public/UFOAI_Title_Demo_Xvid.avi

I've just purchased a new laptop, a nice powerhouse kind of deal that I plan to do all my important tech work and other projects on, and I tested some new software upgrades on it for working with video and animation.  This file (in the download link above) is quick and dirty, but I think it came out better than the old one some of you may remember.  I was able to render this on the new machine rather quickly, it would've taken hours on the year-old desktop I have.

I also have been learning Blender and other tools a little here and there, in paticular animation of models, and I'm close to making some RoQ cinematics for the game with the models already available of soliders, aliens, etc.

The part I have trouble with is getting bones in Blender to attach to the right vertices, so the animations work properly.

Now for the not-too-good news:  I'm going to be very busy during this fall semester where I'm going to college, I don't expect to have a large amount of time to devote to UFO: AI, and I might not be around in the forum except on the weekends (mostly).  I'll still try to offer a few things here and there, and also upload occasional dev builds in the Windows Beta Installer thread in this forum when I can.

Still, I hope to at some point offer cinematics (I've gotten rather good at putting RoQs together), I know we tried several times to put together an in-game intro and don't have a solid one yet.

I'll also try to be available to make a promo trailer when 2.3 is ready for release.  I've seen some recent snapshot builds, and it already looks quite impressive compared to the last stable release.

-Dave