project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Texture problems, major slowdown during battle  (Read 2688 times)

Chadling

Texture problems, major slowdown during battle
« on: August 28, 2008, 12:03:23 am »
I'm a fan of the original X-COM (even though I never managed to win a game), and I was pleasantly surprised to find this game on the Net.  I installed the game from the installer posted on August 17, 2008.  I have no problems on the Geoscape.  However, I've been experiencing two problems that pretty much make the game unplayable.

I'm running a ATI Radeon X300 with the most recent drivers (8.8, update from August 20, 2008), a processor easily capable of running the game, and about 2GB of RAM.  The game is having trouble displaying textures on 3D objects (such as weapons and personnel).  This results in the game displaying the items with bizarre colors, to simply refusing to display them.  I also have an absolutely crippling framerate in the tactical battles.

I don't know what additional information you require, but... e gad, this game is something I practically wished for, if it runs.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Texture problems, major slowdown during battle
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 07:53:33 am »
it should be cool if you could try one of the 2.3-dev installers that are floating around in the board. would be nice to know whether this is fixed already for the coming version.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 12:33:00 pm »
That's what he's doing. August 17. That's got to be an installer put up by blondandy or myself.

Chadling

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 05:39:52 am »
False alarm, I suppose.  I tried another compiled installer (the one posted August 22), and it appears to work fine, both on the geoscape and tactical battles. 

I haven't quite gotten into the game yet, but I like the changes to the strategic and tactical maps... though I eagerly await the nastier elements to the tactical battles.  You guys know what I'm referring to: Chrysallids, nasty armored platforms, psionic powers... the things that fans of X-Com know, love, and fear.