project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Artist required for UFOPaedia images  (Read 91494 times)

odie

Re: Artist required for UFOPaedia images
« Reply #150 on: July 22, 2009, 05:37:34 am »
Yeah, its just another reason the soldiers need to be replaced with new models.

About the options, I know English as my first language (American), and to be honest the first revision I saw with the 4:3 stretch option slightly confused me for a moment until I toggled it and figured it out.  That and to this day I still don't play with many of the advanced video options because I still don't know what they do.

Hopefully when 2.3 nears release one of the coders will remember to put in some better tooltips or a box or something to explain what the options do and exactly how they work.

Ah YES! I agree! Even though i have been since 2.1, the tooltips really is not so 'tip-helpful', rather tipsy for the advanced options....... Then again, its advanced options for advanced users...... hmmmm. Which still does not help advanced gamers. Lol.

Maybe we can be more 'layman' in the tooltips?? Just a suggestion.

Destructavator: U r american rito? :P 1/2way around the globe from me.... today = full eclipse, next one if missed is in 123 years time i thnk! in 2132......

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 22, 2009, 02:55:09 pm »
Destructavator: U r american rito? Tongue 1/2way around the globe from me.... today = full eclipse, next one if missed is in 123 years time i thnk! in 2132......

Yeah, Its all over the news here.  No, I don't get to watch it in person - I live in a part of the world that's a bad location for viewing solar eclipses.  On the other hand, I live in a part of the United States where claims of UFO sightings are very high, more so than most other places in my country.  Heck, one cop from the local town police here once told me that they get calls all the time about what people think are UFOs around the water tower - Add that to the fact that there is also a large, major airport very close by, and, well, just put 2 and 2 together, the "well, duh!" mentality sinks in...  It probably doesn't help that the spot where I live is also very close to one of the Great Lakes, which causes a lot of atmospheric effects with clouds and such, and also does strange things to weather patterns here.

odie

« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2009, 04:07:59 am »
Yeah, Its all over the news here.  No, I don't get to watch it in person - I live in a part of the world that's a bad location for viewing solar eclipses. 

Ah, this is so ma offtopic, but its ok, just 1 post.

Dun worry, u can watch it online! So mani clips from china, taiwan and india posted on youtube! Check it out! Its way cooler than watching the actual thing.

In singapore, its nonsense! It was raining cats and dogs the whole day! :S

On the other hand, I live in a part of the United States where claims of UFO sightings are very high, more so than most other places in my country.  Heck, one cop from the local town police here once told me that they get calls all the time about what people think are UFOs around the water tower - Add that to the fact that there is also a large, major airport very close by, and, well, just put 2 and 2 together, the "well, duh!" mentality sinks in...  It probably doesn't help that the spot where I live is also very close to one of the Great Lakes, which causes a lot of atmospheric effects with clouds and such, and also does strange things to weather patterns here.

Haha, i can so imagine the local force being so tied up by nonsense call ins by ignorant folks. hhaa.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2009, 04:37:55 am »
Haha, i can so imagine the local force being so tied up by nonsense call ins by ignorant folks. hhaa.

You'd be surprised the s*** that I saw people report in the department that I worked for, in my old job.  A good deal of it was funny - not to mention irritating - but unfortunately I'm not at liberty to really discuss any of the cases.

odie

« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2009, 05:29:29 am »
You'd be surprised the s*** that I saw people report in the department that I worked for, in my old job.  A good deal of it was funny - not to mention irritating - but unfortunately I'm not at liberty to really discuss any of the cases.

Hahhaa... .i can so imagine. :P Dun worry abt that. Lol. We had enuf of those farnies already in the offtopic. Haha. :P

Offline Josh

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2009, 04:51:32 pm »
Wait, we're supposed to put email header art in this thread too?

Which begs the question...

Should I or shouldn't I do the character portraits? :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 05:17:43 pm by Josh »

Offline Vio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2009, 06:08:06 pm »
As far as I am concerned, go ahead. I haven't started, nor will I be making anything for the next few weeks.

I would ask Sitters (whoever he is) if he can give you the latest models, or whether they are still up to date. Maybe he even has some concepts... I doubt Navarre and Connor are supposed to look the same.

From what I saw and heard there is work being done changing the models of humans, but I have no overwiev as to which ones are concerned.

...hopefully somebody else has. ;)

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2009, 08:51:13 pm »
OK, First off, Sitters hasn't checked in here in some time - I don't know when/if he will again, but just about everything he offered for this game is in the Data Source folder in the SVN (which is not part of the trunk, if you've downloaded and compiled the game from SVN or grabbed a beta installer you would not have these files, as they are in a separate folder).  Fortunately the data source is publicly accessible, you can download it from SVN separately from the actual game or go to the sourceforge page and use the web SVN browser with your standard Internet browser, no special software required.

In the data source you can find all kinds of models and other files for stuff that was offered for the game.

As for the human models, I'm working on heads for soldiers, and later on possibly new ones for other personnel and civilians (The civilians could use a futuristic look, but I'm not going to even consider starting on those at this time).

If you're working on email pictures I would suggest basing them off of the approved modeled heads for the various characters, although Winter's the one who could really answer that.

Actually, I'd bring up all of these points with Winter - He would really be able to give better answers to all of these issues, as well as the fact that he's in charge of this stuff.

I hope that helps.

P.S. - If Winter accidentally misses your questions in this thread I'd suggest sending him a PM.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 08:52:49 pm by Destructavator »

Offline lion.cc

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 20, 2009, 01:45:32 pm »
can someone post bloodspider stills pls, i failed to get a modelviewer running on mac. ty

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #159 on: December 20, 2009, 05:29:36 pm »
here are three render shots - if you need more, let me know

Offline Chriswriter90

• Squad Leader
  • Zilla Response Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2010, 12:45:09 pm »
I don't like spiders, going by my slight arachnaphobic reaction I'd say Mattn's bloodspider is an improvement.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #161 on: January 14, 2010, 08:39:32 pm »
we still need the following tech images for 2.3:
Orbital UFO Activity
Alien Infiltration
Boodspider autopsy

contributions are more than welcome ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 09:08:13 am by Mattn »

Offline Pretend

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 05, 2010, 10:05:31 pm »
Hi, total newbie to contribute in here, but I worked a bit on a dead bloodspider picture I found in /trunk/base/pics/techs/
I tried to rework it to an autopsy image. Mine is not the greatest piece of art, but better than nuthin.. feel free to use. :)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 03:39:49 pm by Mattn »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #163 on: February 05, 2010, 10:21:40 pm »
please also upload the source images

Offline Pretend

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 05, 2010, 10:55:37 pm »
Source images?
For the most part it's the dead bloodspider picture found in http://ufoai.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ufoai/ufoai/trunk/base/pics/techs/bloodspider_dead.png?revision=28103&view=markup then I made the shape of "central core" out of a vacuum cleaner http://www.appliancist.com/panasonic-cyclonic-bagless-vacuum-platinum-aeroblast.jpg. Rest is free hand.