project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Artist required for UFOPaedia images  (Read 93700 times)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Artist required for UFOPaedia images
« Reply #135 on: April 11, 2009, 08:23:15 am »
I would say It's too different from the other pictures we have. It doesn't fit in the current theme IMHO.

-geever

Offline Chriswriter90

• Squad Leader
  • Zilla Response Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2009, 05:41:20 am »
I would say it's a nice first try at the blodspider autopsy.

Offline coCoKNIght

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2009, 12:15:09 am »
Thanks for the feedback, I had a closer look at the existing images and noticed that many have that green border thing. It would be easy to integrate that in the bloodspider autopsy but it was mentioned that we should take the autopsy images as reference and they don't have that. Also with the new gui coming up the green borders won't integrate too well in the game imo. Still, if you want a green border you can have it, if the problem is somewhere else, please specify.

Thanks for pointing out the problem with the text. I'm definitely going to make it smaller and add more lorem ipsum text, that is if the concept doesn't turn out to be completely useless.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2009, 12:56:30 am »
Thanks for the feedback, I had a closer look at the existing images and noticed that many have that green border thing. It would be easy to integrate that in the bloodspider autopsy but it was mentioned that we should take the autopsy images as reference and they don't have that. Also with the new gui coming up the green borders won't integrate too well in the game imo. Still, if you want a green border you can have it, if the problem is somewhere else, please specify.

Thanks for pointing out the problem with the text. I'm definitely going to make it smaller and add more lorem ipsum text, that is if the concept doesn't turn out to be completely useless.

The text needs brightening up, certainly, and can't be distinguishably English. As for the green borders issue . . .

PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, CAN PEOPLE STOP CREATING GREEN BORDERS OR 'MATCHING' ARTWORK THAT'S GOING TO HAVE TO BE COMPLETELY REDONE FOR THE NEW GUI!

Regards,
Winter

Sirine

« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2009, 07:58:26 am »
Josh, Great images!
I'm new here... looking for place to contribute.

image from F.E.A.R....might lead you some spark for creating more WOW images.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:26:00 am by Sirine »

Offline Vio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2009, 04:55:18 pm »
I would like to make some nice avatars for Cdr. Navarre and Dr. Connor to be displayed next to their mails.

You see, I really like the mailbox with all the messages you get from R&D. It is the main element that keeps the story going, creates atmosphere, and gives character to your subordinates. And in that regard, I think they deserve better than some generic polygon head (especially since Dr. Connor is a woman).

I realize that all other employees are shown as 3D models. But with those two being major characters, and more or less part of the UFOPaedia, I think 2d pictures that match the style of the others here will do fine. Is that OK?

P.S.: I also think that there should be a big "new mail" icon again, so new players will not miss them besides everything else that's going on. And the mails need to have the correct authors on them... but that's another area.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 04:57:14 pm by Vio »

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2009, 05:30:32 pm »
I would like to make some nice avatars for Cdr. Navarre and Dr. Connor to be displayed next to their mails.

You see, I really like the mailbox with all the messages you get from R&D. It is the main element that keeps the story going, creates atmosphere, and gives character to your subordinates. And in that regard, I think they deserve better than some generic polygon head (especially since Dr. Connor is a woman).

Ahh, Dr. Connor is a man, actually. ;)  What on Earth was it that made you think he was a woman?

I realize that all other employees are shown as 3D models. But with those two being major characters, and more or less part of the UFOPaedia, I think 2d pictures that match the style of the others here will do fine. Is that OK?

P.S.: I also think that there should be a big "new mail" icon again, so new players will not miss them besides everything else that's going on. And the mails need to have the correct authors on them... but that's another area.

I certainly wouldn't mind some more expressive avatars for the UFOpaedia characters (Navarre, Connor, Falkland, Cain, etc.) but they would have to match or at least resemble the unique 3d faces that Sitters made for the main characters. Those should already be in the game and will be used for cutscenes and such when it becomes possible.

Think you can work with that?

Regards,
Winter

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2009, 05:41:59 pm »
please also keep in mind that it's not only two characters - a list is here http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/List_of_msgid/Mail_Headers

Offline Vio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2009, 05:57:36 pm »
He is? :D
Don't know how I got that idea. Lol. Maybe because he does Biology, and that's where all the babes in science go. ;)
EDIT: Ok. Mixed that up with Falkland.

As for the pics, I was not aware that there are going to be cutscenes, i.e. more places those 3D faces are going to be used. Nevermind then... I'm sure they can be made expressive enough.

The thing is I'm new to this forum, and while I get a lot of ideas when playing the dev verision, I find it a little hard to get a picture of all the things that are already being done. So I find myself proposing things that are already being worked on or considered. No offense meant.

EDIT2:
Now that I've seen Falkland, I know how that mixup could happen.. because she looks like a short, cross eyed man. ;)
That is, of course, an exaggeration, and I can imagine the difficulty of modding this. But you must admit that she is no beauty.

What I could offer is to take shots of the models (preferrably some with shoulders) and paintshop them into something a little nicer for the headers, maybe add a background, like this:

That would preserve the original look (for better or worse, lol) but still give it a nice touch.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 10:30:53 pm by Vio »

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 21, 2009, 08:12:20 am »
Mmm, I think the storyline face textures may have been applied to the wrong heads. That head is much too wide for the original Falkland texture.

Can anyone look into this please?

Regards,
Winter

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 21, 2009, 09:08:59 am »
Mmm, I think the storyline face textures may have been applied to the wrong heads. That head is much too wide for the original Falkland texture.

Can anyone look into this please?

Regards,
Winter

I did a quick check firing up the latest SVN version of the game - the other face shown in the mailclient at the start of the game, for Paul Navarre, has a beard on it.

Also, the small shot of Falkland shown in Vio's post, on the left, looks much wider than how it appears in-game on my computer.

It may look too wide there simply because of how the screenshot was taken.

To really confirm this, I'd have to go through the SVN and start importing faces from the files though - I'm not sure how many are in there.

Offline Vio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 21, 2009, 12:18:11 pm »
Well I do use widescreen resolution, but everything else looks normal. Compare it with the frame.

Screenshot was taken simply be print screen. This is how it appears here.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 21, 2009, 02:22:19 pm »
If you play on a computer with a widescreen display, there are options under the "video" menu that change aspect ratio and how/if the graphics are scaled.  (For comparison, on my own laptop with a widescreen display, the default video options don't look right and have to be changed, but on my desktop with a standard 1280x1024 display the out-of-the-box defaults look fine.)

Could you please provide a full-screen screenshot, just to verify that the game is displaying everything right on your computer?

Offline Vio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2009, 11:54:47 pm »
Hmm

Now that I tested it, maybe turning "stretch screen with 4:3 ratio" off is really better. The globe is perfectly spherical now... and even though that's also not quite correct, it's probably how it was meant to be. So it was all stretched.

Though things do feel a little cramped in comparison (especially the soldiers seem rather thin) and I don't really like the black borders. But Navarre looks a little better.

Another stupid newbie mistake I didn't fail to make - just to help you make the game more accessible for new people of course. ;)

In that regard, the way it is written, I understood this option to be "stretch the arrangement so ratios remain the same as in 4:3"...
English is not my native language, though.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:06:48 am by Vio »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 22, 2009, 12:07:48 am »
Yeah, its just another reason the soldiers need to be replaced with new models.

About the options, I know English as my first language (American), and to be honest the first revision I saw with the 4:3 stretch option slightly confused me for a moment until I toggled it and figured it out.  That and to this day I still don't play with many of the advanced video options because I still don't know what they do.

Hopefully when 2.3 nears release one of the coders will remember to put in some better tooltips or a box or something to explain what the options do and exactly how they work.