project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: New here. Want to help  (Read 25731 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: New here. Want to help
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2010, 04:33:30 pm »
Another point, we need to know the license you want to release your work. The project need open source license, like CC-by-SA or GPL... i think most of the content now is "CC-by-SA 3.0" and "GPL 2.0 or later" (http://static.ufo.ludwigf.org/html/index.html). With it, we can use your work on the game, but more than that, people from the project can rework your content without problem. If you need more info, sure, you can send me a PM.

I believe Origin agreed that (Origin, please correct me if I'm wrong) the new models can be under almost any license, as long as Origin can still display them in his own portfolio.  Sorry, I should have shared that openly in the thread so the rest would see it, my bad.

Offline Origin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2010, 02:15:54 am »
That is correct. Just tag it however you feel is best, as long as i can still use it. :)

Edit:
Btw. I have been making some normal maps for various textures within the game.
However i have been having some problems when viewed ingame, sometimes the textures will look to have an extremely high specular value.
I cant figure out why since even when i make a all black  "_sm" for the texture, the problem still persists.

It seems the specular values are also sometimes diffrerent in different sections of a randomly generated map, (for example in the africa maps some segments will have extremely high specularity sand, while others have none.)

I guess it might be because the individual segments are lit differently or something?

Sorry for large images.

some screenshots:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The normals seem to not get rendered when the map segment gets mostly offscreen:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The ground under the landing craft also displays the normals briefly when the map load up.
im not sure if this is a issue with specularity or if the normals simply arent showing up. :s
file formats for my normal maps are .tga
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:54:54 am by Origin »

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2010, 11:00:39 am »
That is correct. Just tag it however you feel is best, as long as i can still use it.
We can't release for you content you make. That's too much ambiguous. Anyway open source license do not remove you any rights. You can continue to use your work every where you want (including commercial closed source game) as long as you are the only one owner/contributor (else you need contributor agreements). It only add some rights to other people (everybody).

I think CC-by-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ people must quote you, derivative work must reuse the same license) is the best, but it must be your choice, not mine.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2010, 12:32:08 pm »
@Origin: I am having some troubles with creation of normalmaps (for our models), they do not look like intended to in-game, so...

Please post bug-reports on sourceforge ( https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=157793&atid=805242 ), as those bugs might be forgotten, when just posted here in the forum...

Sourceforge only accepts small attachments, so the best way to describe things is to doublepost the descriptions, but attach screenshots here (1024kb, 4 per post) & post/add a link to the bug-report screenies on sourceforge...

@ least that is the way I experienced to be the best & most efficient...

The coders most up-to-date regarding this part of the code are ofc. Mattn, who is on holidays @ the moment, or our OpenGL coding genious Arisian, who for example introduced & implemented many of the new features & enhancements of the OpenGL codebase like post-processing shader fx or normalmapping of the geoscape & our models.

You can assign this bug to one of them (probably Arisian is the expert & wizard needed here)...

Question: Are you working on the animations of the new models ?

Offline Origin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2010, 11:28:11 pm »
@bayo: Thanks. As you can probably tell i havent worked on open source projects before so i dont know the legal ins and outs. The licence you linked seems reasonable indeed.

@MCR: Alright maybe when Mattn or Arisian stops by (im not going to post a bug report just yet as it might just be an error on my end)

I am not currently doing much, I have been working on the powered armor but its still in early stages (lowpoly model pretty much done, still needs normalmaps and textures.), and was planning on finishing the entire "basic" lineup for both male and females (meaning no advanced versions for a little while) before looking at animations.

If anyone feels like starting on the animations, please feel free. Otherwise i will give it a shot when the models are done (I am primarily a modelling/texturing guy though, and i have very little actual experience with character animation.)