project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Destructable Terrain?  (Read 18830 times)

Silencer

Destructable Terrain?
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2006, 11:31:04 am »
Quake II when you injure/kill your targets are marred by damage. I can't remember if this is a option of the models or if it's something engine side, but it's not impossible to adapt this to render the model of the walls as having a hole where you just fired a rocket through it. Of course this is a concept rather than a fact, but it might be worth pursuing if UFO:AI is based off a modified Q2 engine and while it doesn't permit blowing big holes out of the terrain itself, it definitely could bring us closer to blowing holes through walls that can be used for tactical advantages.

Reenen

Destructable Terrain?
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2006, 12:41:42 pm »
Yes, we don't want to be able to flatten a hill... we just want to shoot through a measly wooden wall.

Silencer

Destructable Terrain?
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2006, 01:32:38 pm »
Well there is usually little point in doing that unless you're in a hurry to go down ie the mine mission in Wellington, NZ (last time I played I used the airshaft to get everyone down to the bottom bar two and worked upwards). Since digging out a foxhole doesn't benefit you that much. But I'm only offering up a concept, whether it's workable or even useful is upto someone else. I just try to think of means to solve problems when I don't have time to work on it myself.

Offline mydmitry

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Destructable Terrain?
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2008, 05:20:33 pm »
Destructable terrain must be done or it will never be UFO. You just copy the body and make it better real better but how about soul?
Method of small wall's is good -> not [**********] but

Is where a real problem with faces and speed? This is time based strategy not real time.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Destructable Terrain?
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2008, 05:26:02 pm »
Thread necromancy on a topic that has been discussed to death. Locked.