project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Alien assult vehicles  (Read 3705 times)

Offline Cpt.Jclink

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Alien assult vehicles
« on: August 07, 2008, 03:38:48 am »
 :D i have heard that humans are going to have  new assult vehicles but have you thought about the poor aliens if there going to get something because i have thought it would be cool to fight vehicle to vehicle or your rocket launchers against alien Vehicles

(please if you read this put a comment)

Sophisanmus

Re: Alien assult vehicles
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 03:57:01 am »
There has definitely been talk of this, and I am pretty sure it is planned.  What you are thinking of will probably manifest as 2x2 grid space units; human UGVs would qualify, and alien counterparts of course.  I don't think all 2x2 size aliens will be limited to just mechanical units, though...

Offline Cpt.Jclink

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 04:18:42 pm »
There has definitely been talk of this, and I am pretty sure it is planned.  What you are thinking of will probably manifest as 2x2 grid space units; human UGVs would qualify, and alien counterparts of course.  I don't think all 2x2 size aliens will be limited to just mechanical units, though...
What do you mean by space units? that there like UFOs? because they could be dropped off by UFOs maybe  ;D

Sophisanmus

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 05:17:50 pm »
2x2 grid space units.  Currently, alien soldiers, player soldiers, and civilians occupy a single, 1x1 grid space in the battlescape, but there are plans for units which occupy 2x2 (4 total) grid spaces.  If you've played the original X-COM, the player had 2x2 Heavy Weapons Platforms available, while the aliens had a few 2x2 terror units (Cyberdisc, Reaper, Sectopod).

Offline Cpt.Jclink

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 05:53:28 pm »
2x2 grid space units.  Currently, alien soldiers, player soldiers, and civilians occupy a single, 1x1 grid space in the battlescape, but there are plans for units which occupy 2x2 (4 total) grid spaces.  If you've played the original X-COM, the player had 2x2 Heavy Weapons Platforms available, while the aliens had a few 2x2 terror units (Cyberdisc, Reaper, Sectopod).
Okay thanks were can i play or download X-com?

Offline ghosta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 09:20:08 pm »

How about 0.5x0.5 grid space units? Something like a smaller bloodspider in huge amounts would be pretty cool.

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 01:37:40 am »
ghosta,

I think 1x1 is the indivisible smallest unit of space.  Having something occupy fractional space just invites all sorts of trouble.

The idea itself, however, has merit!  In most ways, the philosopht is that aliens are tougher, better than humans in a 1:1 comparison.  The concept of a fllood of weak critters, something killed by a single pistol shot (i.e. one hit from anything) is very neat. 

Having a bunch of those small, cheap scouts run around would also explain aliens' "omniscience".

Come to think of it, how about humans get to develop something like that too - small, not too expensive platform that can scarry quickly around and relay video.  At early stages having the little things to do the scouting would've been great.  maybe limit to two per mission.  Otherwise, the battle field becomes flooded with tiny spidies. 

Sophisanmus

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 02:04:04 am »
There were some remote-controlled man-transportable UAVs and UGVs on one of the modeling threads, so I suspect that something like that may be planned for some point.  Most likely 1x1, but still small in profile.