project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Win32 Development Binary Installer Links  (Read 426050 times)

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Win32 Development Binary Installer Links
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2009, 12:43:44 am »
I partially agree with Kenner. Wilminator's today's fix for routing/pathfinding alone would justify a recompile of the maps.

However, I still have problems with totally black shade on the day maps. So maybe we should wait with the recompile until that problem is fixed, too ?

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2009, 01:28:55 am »
Good point (both of you).

OK, I'll upload a new installer very soon - I don't have enough time tonight to both recompile all the maps and upload (both tasks take hours), but I'll get started on it tomorrow.

Even if the single-player campaign can't be played because air combat doesn't work, the Skirmish mode can still be used to test things.

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2009, 08:28:17 am »
renderer stuff might be fixed.

Commit by tlh2000  ::  r21424 /ufoai/trunk/src/client/renderer/r_model_brush.c:
    * fixed map loading: Consecutive calls to R_AllocLightmapBlock

testing welcome

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2009, 12:08:37 pm »
OK, here it is, this one made it up to my website:

http://www.destructavator.com/public/ufoai_2_3Dev_r21433.zip

I didn't have time to check this one for bugs, but as Blondandy said, testing is welcome.

...And yes, this one has fully re-built maps!

Offline Kenner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2009, 01:03:22 am »

I didn't have time to check this one for bugs, but as Blondandy said, testing is welcome.

Thanks for doing this. Maps seem to work much better now. I haven't run into any blocked paths yet. Now if we could only climb stairs...

Found a few bugs - reporting under the bug thread.

Ken

odie

« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2009, 04:57:43 am »

Hi Destructavator,

I finally decided to sign up a proper nick here. Yupz, i have been following this since version 1. Played 2.2 until storyline 'sorta froze'. lol. Hooked an decided to try ur version yesterday.
I downloaded ur version yesterday, the one in this link R21433.

Tried playing it and i found some issues with your built. The bugs are as follow:
1) Some of the wpns are oversized pics in their pedias. - will go back today and make an effort to write em down. :P
2) The Geoscape most noticeably problem when i try to go into base and back, there is a huge well.... "background" replacing the intended black space - will try get a screenie today too. :P
3) When i move in battle, most noticeably the crouch and move, stand and move, crouch move and autostand is still not very well done..... why? Cos, u can "lose" some TUs here and there.
4) Obviously in battle, we cant climb stairs still.... I thnk someone alr mentioned that. (PS : will that be implemented soon?)
5) Oh yes, another major "bug" i noticed is that new bases creates random nos (1-4) unusable terrain blocks. Rather irritating..... intended for removal nx time? Is this bug or intended aniwae?
6) I realised that the battle loading screen no longer has a 'preview' like version 2.2 or 2.1..... Bug or you have not linked up a preview of the map??
7) A little balance up suggestion - When u start the game on norm mode, there is simply not enough cash if you start a base with no buildings yet - i.e. starting from scratch. You need pump more cash, more like the amount in Easy (not very easy mode) Mode. Its more logical, since the whole earth will want u to start decently, WITH a decent base and a dropship and at least 1 small attack craft (that is also equipped with at least 2 attack racks?). I have tried and i be short of cash..... If u need my startup savegame, i can attach tat too. :P

Btw, in case u wonder abt my machine specs on the graphics issue..... it should not have any prob. Yupz, its min 1GB CPU, 768MB ram, video is good. (Well, i lazy to upload specs haha. but me IT crazie person working full time in some IT senior job. lol. so dw, if there's a spec's issue, i should realise. :P :P :P)

Okie, till here, lunchtime!
:P
*Odie*

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2009, 09:20:03 am »
I should probably upload another build, its been a few days and some of the things you've described have been at least partially fixed in the SVN.

Since that last link to a build I've noticed in the SVN logs that the stairway problem on maps was addressed, the bug that lots of people have complained about.  Same goes for terrain blocks and other map issues.

If you want to start out with more cash, you can easily un-zip the PK3 file after installing (its basically a .ZIP file with a different file extension) and alter the .ufo files inside with Wordpad, where you'll find plain English parameters that can be modified to tweak or alter the game - re-compiling the source code isn't necessary to do this, so no development or extra tools would need to be installed.
As an alternative, the console can be pulled up in-game and the debug "cheat codes" can be used, I think the cash one is "debug_fullcredits" although I believe the cheat codes are disabled for stable releases.

I'll try to upload an updated build again soon.

Thanks for the feedback, we can always use more testers.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2009, 11:21:38 am »
5) This is intentional not a bug. Will not change.

@Destructavator: The current trunk can be quite buggy and unstable. We (well, Mattn) started cleaning up the code and it has side effects...

-geever

Offline Kenner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2009, 02:32:49 pm »
I should probably upload another build, its been a few days and some of the things you've described have been at least partially fixed in the SVN.

Since that last link to a build I've noticed in the SVN logs that the stairway problem on maps was addressed, the bug that lots of people have complained about.  Same goes for terrain blocks and other map issues.

If you want to start out with more cash, you can easily un-zip the PK3 file after installing (its basically a .ZIP file with a different file extension) and alter the .ufo files inside with Wordpad, where you'll find plain English parameters that can be modified to tweak or alter the game - re-compiling the source code isn't necessary to do this, so no development or extra tools would need to be installed.
As an alternative, the console can be pulled up in-game and the debug "cheat codes" can be used, I think the cash one is "debug_fullcredits" although I believe the cheat codes are disabled for stable releases.

I'll try to upload an updated build again soon.

You might want to wait a few days on another build. From my reading of the IRC logs, it looks like the code is currently undergoing a major reorganization, and some temporary bugs may be too numerous for a few days to make a new build worthwhile. I want to climb stairs again as much as everyone else, but it might be better to wait.

Ken

Offline Kenner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2009, 02:47:56 pm »

Tried playing it and i found some issues with your built. The bugs are as follow:
1) Some of the wpns are oversized pics in their pedias. - will go back today and make an effort to write em down. :P
2) The Geoscape most noticeably problem when i try to go into base and back, there is a huge well.... "background" replacing the intended black space - will try get a screenie today too. :P
3) When i move in battle, most noticeably the crouch and move, stand and move, crouch move and autostand is still not very well done..... why? Cos, u can "lose" some TUs here and there.
4) Obviously in battle, we cant climb stairs still.... I thnk someone alr mentioned that. (PS : will that be implemented soon?)
5) Oh yes, another major "bug" i noticed is that new bases creates random nos (1-4) unusable terrain blocks. Rather irritating..... intended for removal nx time? Is this bug or intended aniwae?
6) I realised that the battle loading screen no longer has a 'preview' like version 2.2 or 2.1..... Bug or you have not linked up a preview of the map??
7) A little balance up suggestion - When u start the game on norm mode, there is simply not enough cash if you start a base with no buildings yet - i.e. starting from scratch. You need pump more cash, more like the amount in Easy (not very easy mode) Mode. Its more logical, since the whole earth will want u to start decently, WITH a decent base and a dropship and at least 1 small attack craft (that is also equipped with at least 2 attack racks?). I have tried and i be short of cash..... If u need my startup savegame, i can attach tat too. :P

Hi Odie,

I thought I should mention that Destructavator provides these builds for us Windows users out of the goodness of his heart. He's not actually a developer (or bug fixer), although he has provided some awesome music to the game, so it probably is best to report bugs in the bug tracker or the bug forum. As for your list, I have seen #1 (but only once), I'm not sure what you mean for #2, but maybe you should report it to the developers, #3 may be tied to pathfinding bugs which are still being worked on, and #5 is intended behavior. #7 is intended behavior as well, but it makes no sense to me that the option is there. Why would you ever sacrifice time and cash to build your first base, when you can have your base pre-populated with buildings. Personally, I think the option to build from scratch should just be removed from the game. From a storyline perspective, it makes sense to have at least one functioning base at the start of the game.

Ken

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2009, 02:58:23 pm »
The option to build your own facilities will probably be removed at some point. I had a talk with geever about it.

Offline Kenner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2009, 12:09:36 am »
The option to build your own facilities will probably be removed at some point. I had a talk with geever about it.

BTAxis,

When you say the option will be removed, I hope you mean just for the first base? I think controlling when and how you build subsequent bases is a key part of the overall game strategy and experience. Please don't remove that.

Ken

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2009, 12:20:22 am »
Yes, I meant the instant building for the first base. Manual base building will of course still be possible during the game.

odie

« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2009, 03:13:19 am »
*Snip*

*snip*

Hi Destructavator,

Thanks for the info! I am sure it will be useful as i am usually not using dev Rxxxx version. Usually in stable release mode.... well, until i am simply too impatient. lol.

Will look into that. :)

U r always welcomed! :) I am always beta testers for a nos of games. lol. I love and am honored to be  part of such an awefully nice and committed developers!

And yes Destructavator, did i mentioned that i simply LOVEEEEEEEE the new music! Esp the startup music, and a nos of the in-scenarios one!

Hi Odie,

I thought I should mention that Destructavator provides these builds for us Windows users out of the goodness of his heart.
*snip*

Yupz, i realised Kenner. :) And its awesome he does it for time-hungry testers like me. Compiling DOES take ENORmous amt of time, even with me computer - done it twice and gave up! lol. Mom simply complained too much abt me 'idling' my com.....

so it probably is best to report bugs in the bug tracker or the bug forum.

Yupz. Done that partially during my lil time of lunch yest. Got more pics, think will upload there today.....

I have seen #1 (but only once), I'm not sure what you mean for #2, but maybe you should report it to the developers, #3 may be tied to pathfinding bugs which are still being worked on, and #5 is intended behavior. #7 is intended behavior as well

*yada yada yada*

Will discuss dat in the main bug posts. :)

but it makes no sense to me that the option is there. Why would you ever sacrifice time and cash to build your first base, when you can have your base pre-populated with buildings. Personally, I think the option to build from scratch should just be removed from the game. From a storyline perspective, it makes sense to have at least one functioning base at the start of the game.

Well, i can give u an insight into my views on this. :)

I am a micro-manager..... well, at least i love 4x space strategic, Romance of the 3 kingdoms (played all 12 series), and the such type of games. I looooooove micro-management -> Where u get ABSOLUTE control over everything..... well.... OCD? Lol.

Anyway, the practical part is this: We are assigned the role of Supreme Commander of Phalanx. We are given the option to setup a base ANYWHERE in the world. Why cant we get to choose what facilities we have? Thats 1.

Next, the original preload DOES NOT come with the ALMIGHTY hospital! OMG. How can that be, when the pedia mentioned that w/o one, the PHALANX's members are at mercy of sub-class hospital. Anyway, in actual military sense (i served in my country's full time for 2.5 years and is still going back yearly for reservist's training), there is always a medical centre, medical hospital, even mobile hospitals. Yupz. So, it makes sense that the hospital is inside.

Next, according to military sense, u will never want your vulnerable hanger n labs right beside the easily accessed gate rite? Its usually inside, way inside..... the auto startup sometimes do not do that properly, and u have vulnerable objectives beside the lift.....

Also, i prefer having the idea of labs beside UFO hangers, workshops beside or close to storage, and missile silos beside command centre..... and well, the very fragile and ALL IMPORTANT powerplant way inside the core of the command base.

Making sense now? lol. :P

Hope this goes down history. Will make this post somewhere in the suggestion thread when i have time.

For now, its juz for u Kenner! Cheerios!

*pawprint*

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2009, 01:25:11 am »
http://www.destructavator.com/public/UFOAI_2_3Dv_r21709_m21666.zip

Alright, here's one with a new format, the second number after "m" indicates when the last time ALL of the maps were built from scratch, and the first "r" number shows the basic revision number of everything else.  Regarding the maps, I do still run the .BAT file to update just the changed maps before packaging the installer.

This installer was made with the older Codeblocks package, the next link will be to an installer with the updated one provided by BTAxis.

Yes, I've noticed from logs that a lot is being re-worked and moved around, so if anyone wants a more (relatively) stable copy, they can simply download one of the previous links (the files are still up there).

I also wanted to try Muton's little patch to add W2K support, but didn't have the time this time around (Sorry!).