project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Win32 Development Binary Installer Links  (Read 426203 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Win32 Development Binary Installer Links
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2008, 02:17:55 am »
http://www.destructavator.com/public/ufoai-2_3-dev-win32_r19141.zip

Enjoy.

BTW, considering that this thread will grow over time with more and more links, as a suggestion it might be a good idea to try to minimize clutter in this thread by posting gameplay errors with development builds in separate threads with the revision number in the post or subject line, otherwise this thread will eventually overflow with posts about bugs with various builds mixed in with download links and become a mile long.  On the other hand, if you can't download a build or the installer doesn't work or un-zip, etc., I guess it would make sense to post here - that or if you want to post a link of your own if you've uploaded a build somewhere.  I know I don't make the rules here, but, hey, it's just a suggestion.

Offline ManicMiner

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2008, 09:13:47 am »
Hi,

I've tried to download the .ZIP but it bombs out after 450mb. Just a thought; can it be hosted on RapidShare if there's a bandwidth issue?

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2008, 05:49:39 pm »
How many times did you try to download the file?  As far as bandwidth, my hosting plan for my website says "unlimited" for space and for data transfer.  Then again, the hosting company has been known to have occasional outages.  The zip file itself is around 512MB, so you almost got it.

In light of this and the fact that the game grows bigger over time, what I might do with the next build is break it up into several files.

I took a quick glance at Rapidshare, they have file size limits, and at a glance don't seem a much better option, although I admit I haven't really researched them very much.

Offline ManicMiner

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2008, 12:54:34 am »
I've just started downloading it again; if it arrives OK I'll let you know.

Regarding the size of the download, perhaps release a patch containing the updated files only? Surely the full 512mb doesn't change from one minor build to the next...

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2008, 11:11:15 am »
We decided at one point not to do this. It's not worth the trouble. If you want small updates, get on the SVN bandwagon.

Offline ManicMiner

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2008, 10:46:18 pm »
Hi,

I'll certainly consider it, but I've never done anything with SVN before and I'm not a developer.

BTW: it downloaded fine on the second attempt.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2008, 01:18:41 am »
http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Getting_the_source

Talks about SVN and how you can grab an SVN copy of the source,

http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Code::Blocks

Talks about how to compile (meaning construct the source files into ready-to-run game files with an EXE) the game, and also has download links for a ZIP of CodeBlocks (the program needed to compile the game) with the needed extra libraries already included.

Yes, I know its a good number of steps for someone who hasn't done it before, but, hey, if you do it you'll learn something new, and after setting it up correctly once it becomes easier and even kinda cool as the SVN program will grab only the updated files (much smaller than the whole thing) every time the update function is run on your computer, when a developer codes something new, and you can follow the progress of the game development and always have the absolute latest version, down to the smallest tweaks.

BTW, the last few SVN checkouts I've grabbed have been unstable, as soon as I manage to obtain a snapshot that doesn't crash as much and is more playable, I'll post another link.  Right now the pathfinding thing is still a bit buggy, causing assertation failures, etc.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2008, 09:21:03 pm »
OK, I got version 19493 packed up successfully, and with regards to stability it looks pretty good.  I'll try to upload it tonight and over this weekend, and split it into multiple files for those with slow Internet connections.

The only (non-fatal) bug I could really find with this one is that the aliens sometimes use human weapons, although I suppose it could arguably make sense plot-wise if aliens didn't want to risk revealing too much technology when invading the planet.

I post links when they're ready.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2008, 02:20:13 pm »
http://www.destructavator.com/public/ufoai-2_3-dev-win32-r19493.zip

Initially I tried to split the 510MB file into smaller chunks with 7zip, but when I did so it created several chunks with various file extensions (.001, .002, .003, etc.) and I found my hosting service for my website doesn't like file extensions for files on the server that aren't standard, part of their rules.  I thought about re-naming the files and leaving instructions for changing them back here, but figured that might complicate and confuse a few people, especially since I've found some people elsewhere in the Internet sometimes link directly to these downloads and some people breeze through posts just for a link and don't stop to read special instructions.  Therefore, I left this one in one big file again - Apologies to those with slow Internet connections, I suppose if your access is really slow you could download it overnight while you sleep.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2008, 01:45:37 am »
FYI everyone, I've zipped up revision 19567 and am about 3/4 done uploading it, a link should be ready in about an hour an a half, before 10:00 PM where I am (I'm in "Eastern Daylight Time" for the U.S., which is GMT -5).

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2008, 11:02:21 pm »
OK everyone, I've compiled and put together another new installer, I'll be testing it this evening.  If it doesn't have any serious bugs or issues that make it unplayable, I'll upload it overnight and it should be available for testing Saturday.  Yes, you'll be able to have some fun this weekend, and come Monday you just might wonder where your weekend went and why you didn't get anything done...   ;)

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2008, 01:45:59 pm »

Offline EchizenR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2008, 09:41:37 am »
I tried to do a SVN update (using TortoiseSVN). Do I put the file destination to my UFO:AI folder or do I create another folder inside it? Also, when I update, it seems that I also download Linux and Mac updates and not only Window ones, how do I prevent this? Last question, do I select the "Full Recursive" option or something else?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 11:31:38 am by EchizenR »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2008, 01:11:20 pm »
First off, I'd suggest a separate thread to ask this in, but,

If you want to grab a development build I would choose between either the occasional links here (which are links to .EXE installers, so no use of SVN or compiling with Codeblocks is required, simply downloading from a link in this thread and running the installer is all that is needed), or, option B, using the instructions in the wiki to checkout an SVN copy and update as often as you want.

If you already have an installed copy, either from one of the links in this thread or the stable release, I would keep it in a completely separate folder on your hard drive from any SVN copy to avoid mixing and messing things up - I wouldn't even put an SVN copy inside an existing UFO: AI folder, but rather someplace else, such as in your "My Documents" or on another drive or partition.

For option B, yes, you do indeed select "Full Recursive."

Regarding the platform (Windows vs. Linux or Mac) the source, which are the "building blocks" used to put together the program, are cross-platform, meaning they can be constructed into a version for any of those platforms.  When you see folders for all three in the downloaded SVN, this is normal.  Once these "building blocks" files are downloaded you need to follow the instructions for using Codeblocks to compile (meaning put those blocks together into a program your machine can run) the main program and then the maps.  Every time you update from SVN you need to re-compile the main program, and also run "compile_maps.bat" to update the maps as well.

Or you could go with option A, to simply grab an installer that appears in this thread, so you don't have to mess with all that stuff.

Apologies if this is more information than you need, I don't know how much you know or don't know about programming, compiling, etc. or what your background is.  Also, I admit that was a quick-and-dirty explanation of how compiling and source code works, and probably not the best explanation out there.  If you need elaboration on any of these points, just ask.

If you want to try option B to always have the absolute latest version whenever you want, follow the wiki and post questions in another thread if you run into trouble.

I hope this helps.