project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Where did the initial credits go?  (Read 3135 times)

Offline Delphis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Where did the initial credits go?
« on: July 17, 2008, 07:22:48 pm »
I have this question... when  starting the game it states that you have a certain number of credits, about 1.3million on the standard game. When you create a base though, this drops to about 50,000 ... where did all the credits go? I am assuming to build and stock the initial base that you are presented with. My question is that this is not apparent, since the 'base build cost' says '$100,000'. It would be nicer to have the option to 'quick-start' the initial base but for some people (like me) they might want control over just what gets built. Maybe I don't want to spend the money building an alien containment structure and a workshop until I actually have something to do with it.. I would prefer to buy a better interceptor than the crappy one I'm given.

So, either the first base is a 'freebie' and doesn't eat up the 1.3 million starting credits, or there should be an option on whether you want it auto-built in the default way when first placing the base.

By the way, I like the 'radar' installation idea. One other thing for radar ranges.. it would be prudent to show the PROJECTED radar range around the cursor before building, so you can see just how ranges can overlap. Doing this for both bases (i.e. if they were to have a radar built, what would its range be) and radar installations before finalizing the build would be very helpful, especially given the flat map idea (which I'm not too fond of to be honest.. I liked the globe).

Offline Delphis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Where did the initial credits go?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 07:44:37 pm »
I see hidden in the options there are settings for the 3d globe (not sure why the default was changed though?) and also for the auto-build stuff. Still, that's hardly intuitive to have it buried there instead of simply asking the question when you're actually building the base.

Knowing about the radar ranges prior to building would still be a suggestion I'd like to make.

Thanks.

Surrealistik

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 07:53:58 pm »
By the way, I like the 'radar' installation idea. One other thing for radar ranges.. it would be prudent to show the PROJECTED radar range around the cursor before building, so you can see just how ranges can overlap. Doing this for both bases (i.e. if they were to have a radar built, what would its range be) and radar installations before finalizing the build would be very helpful, especially given the flat map idea (which I'm not too fond of to be honest.. I liked the globe).

Seconded. I had posted much the same on the sourceforge features request list.

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 01:04:56 am »
So, either the first base is a 'freebie' and doesn't eat up the 1.3 million starting credits, or there should be an option on whether you want it auto-built in the default way when first placing the base.

The devs are flat out not going to do that.  They have their own ideas and don't want any of ours.  The fix for you is to edit the basemanagement.ufo file and not have those buildings you don't want in your initial base.  For those buildings, you can find the line that says: " firstbase true" and change it to: "// firstbase true"

Online geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 12:04:45 pm »
There are options in Options/Game menu about whether you want start with buildings and employees IMO. (but not sure for 2.2.x) And in the latest development version they (options) were moved to the create base popup menu so you don't even need to go to options menu.

-geever