project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: impressions  (Read 2609 times)

Offline moosk

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
impressions
« on: September 16, 2008, 03:04:18 pm »
Hi guys,

Very nice adaptation of x-com.  I just played the 2.2.1 version out until not much further was happening.

My main request for the game would be to have more frequent releases of the stable version.  I might have played the stable version a little longer, but there were what appeared to be some showstopping bugs related to interceptions -- later in the game I could not target the alien craft with the fighters that were in my base.  Earlier in the game I could do that, but later they tended to be missing from relevant menus.  I figure that such bugs must have long ago been fixed in the development version.

One other thing I had some concern about is if the game is going in too many directions at once.  It seemed that there were a lot of interesting extensions waiting to be fleshed out, but core game play did not lead to completion of the game.  In this sense it was also more of a "walk-through sci-fi novel" than a game, as for various reasons the standard level was never really a challenge.  I understand that the campaign system is completely changing so this might be moot point, but I hope that the new system might have some clear core completion start to finish (even if the "finish" is just a placeholder for later work).

Anyway, these brief comments are just my principal impressions.  Keep up the excellent work!

moosk

Offline ManicMiner

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: impressions
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 12:30:29 am »
Hi,

Just thought I'd drop in to say I'm impressed.

I'm using 2.21 as well, and have spotted the following. Are they resolved in 2.3?

1. Within the missions, if I use the left and right keys to spin the view round, it doesn't stop spinning for about ten seconds. Is this likely to be machine specific, or is/was it a bug?

2.  I've tried changing the weapons and adding armour, but it still doesn't make any difference; my aircraft are always shot out of the sky by the first UFO they come into contact with. This applies on all difficulty levels, and regardless of the size of the enemy ship. Is this normal?

3. The UI for production isn't as intuitive as the one for research. On one occasion I wanted to build five small items each with a 26 hour lead time, with 10 engineers available. But after a month they hadn't started, and according to the UI I had 10 engineers available. I can't see an option to specify how many engineers to assign. Oddly, if I build a component through the option in the Aircraft Equip menu, it does get built.

(Personally, I would rather have a single interface for all production, and simply categorise the item list).

Apart from those three issues, it's the business!