project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Flares or Flashlights  (Read 2857 times)

Marsu

Flares or Flashlights
« on: May 01, 2008, 09:23:25 pm »
Flares or Flashlights(preferably weapon-mounted) would be great.
Working IR- or Nightvision-Goggles would also be nice.

Hopefully there is some way to get the engine to do this  ???

courier

Re: Flares or Flashlights
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 01:09:24 am »
I believe that flares are on the TODO http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/TODO/2.3.  Dunno about the rest.

Marsu

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 11:42:23 pm »
woops, you are right, flares are already in the todo. My bad, please excuse the overenthusiastic newbie :)

Lord Valdez

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 03:54:22 pm »
I would like to see weapon mounted tactical lights, however I admit it needs some redesign and much extra work. Weapon mod slots, ouch.
I'd appreciate a flashlight also. (I lacked in previous XCOMs also)

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 06:47:34 pm »
Lord Valdez,

this has been discussed before.  The weapon-mounted lights may require serious changes to the game engine - movable, directional light source, cone of ling (ling?  wtf is ling?  i meant "light") that tracks with the way soldier turns, plus you need a way to turn it on and off.  I will let the devs answer as to how hard that is to code.  Maybe the engine has some like that already.

Another vote "con" was due to tactical issues: while a barrel-mounted light is OK for clearing houses, for moving in relatively open area at night it is a nightmare - blinds the user to things outside the cone and givesa away position.  Would be great for enemy snipers, I imagine.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 12:02:07 am by DanielOR »

Lord Valdez

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 09:09:14 pm »
Sorry, I am a newbie :)
It's a pity that engine doesn't support directional lighting, because the next thing I would have asked for is strong headlights for HWP-s.

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 12:02:55 am »
Oh, no prob.  Still has the purely in-game tactical problem of making the light source WAY to visible and a great target at night.