project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: No entrance in new bases.  (Read 4553 times)

Offline Telok

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
No entrance in new bases.
« on: June 26, 2008, 06:23:15 pm »
On the 2.3 version for WinXP, if you select the option to start without buildings there is no Entrance building in the bases you build.

Adding the Entrance as a building on the list would fix.

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: No entrance in new bases.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 06:34:57 pm »
nah.  our soldiers can crawl in and out of ventilation shafts.  Dragging the science quipment down those shafts is a b@tch, though

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 06:46:27 pm »
Which revision? I remember there being talk of this. If you're using an older test installer it might have been fixed in the mean time.

Offline Telok

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 06:00:56 pm »
2.3-dev x86 Mar 8 2008 Win32 debug

It's also developed a crash bug on a save game. I saved with three interceptors chasing three different UFOs. On reload the timescale is blanked out instead of saying 'Stopped'. I can do everything -except- advance the timescale (including hitting the time stop box and setting the scale to 'Stopped') without adverse effects. Advancing the timescale crashes out.

Want a copy of the saves?

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 06:05:37 pm »
2.3-dev x86 Mar 8 2008 Win32 debug

This is an older development snapshot, and I remember playing this older version and having the same recurring problems you're describing.

I'd suggest grabbing a more recent build or using SVN.

I'm sorry to say that I think updating your copy of the game will however break your old savegames, meaning you would have to start over.

EDIT:  As of the time I'm posting this, the SVN branch is rather stable, despite a few bugs here and there, although the prepackaged codeblocks from the wiki is out of date for compiling it.

Regarding that, I'm willing to upload and post a link to an updated codeblocks and MinGW package that works sometime today or tomorrow when I can make the time (if you or anyone else is interested).

...And if attempting to compile the SVN intimidates anyone, I say this:  I'm not really a C programmer, I don't know my way around the codeblocks interface much at all, and despite starting with out-of-date instructions from the wiki and old pre-packaged MinGW compiler, I was able to get it set up and can now quickly and easily update my copy, recompile it, and run it (all on windows) without too many headaches (even though I'm not really a coder).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 06:16:21 pm by Destructavator »

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 06:24:02 pm »
Destructavator, what`s wrong with current C::B package? I use it to compile trunk since 2.2, and has not any problems.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 06:58:48 pm »
I can compile trunk with C::B fine as well.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 07:55:33 pm »
That's interesting, I remember grabbing the pre-packaged one from the link in the wiki (that includes all the libraries), having issues, and then being told the issues were from an old, out-dated MinGW compiler that actually came from that zip-file (not using anything from the codeblocks website at all).

Hold on a sec while I check something...

Hmmmm, I see the link is dated late in 2007 from the beta installer page - I don't know if that's been updated or not - Oh, well, if it works now it works now - I suppose I might have simply been doing something wrong before, or I'm simply incorrect and imagining things in the first place, in which case I apologize.

Anyways, regarding the original issue, I'd suggest using an SVN copy or the more recent beta installer, not the one from March.

Still, that's strange what happened before with that zipped package...  Hmmmm.....  Oh well, If I was wrong and it works, I'm sorry.  If I had more time I'd double check it, but right now I have some other things going on today.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 08:26:58 pm »
in fact the package is rather old and could really need some updates - mingw released a lot of new gcc versions in the meantime.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 08:27:59 pm »
What about libs? Did UFO:AI start using any more since the last C::B package was made?

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 10:24:55 pm »
Don't know if this sheds any light, but here is what I did to make the outdated zip-file work:

- I unzipped the old prepackage from the wiki on a hard drive partition.

- I went direct to the Codeblocks website and grabbed the latest binary installer that includes (updated) mingw and installed it.

- I copied the (updated) mingw folder (that came with the new codeblocks binary) with gcc on top of and overwriting the unzipped (old) pre-packaged version, but not deleting any files first, thereby replacing the old gcc with the newer one but leaving the additional libraries in the folder.

- I then configured codeblocks to use the compiler in the unzipped folder with the libraries and the now updated compiler.

- After that I grabbed an SVN copy and used codeblocks to compile it, and it works.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 10:27:57 pm by Destructavator »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 09:39:03 am »
What about libs? Did UFO:AI start using any more since the last C::B package was made?

no, should not be the case - but in fact the libs could need updates, too. i think some of them were updated in the meantime, too. the best would be a seperate installer with the libs - single selectable to install them. or even better to grab them from somewhere automagically