project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Auto-reload for Auto-shooters ?  (Read 7980 times)

scamp

Auto-reload for Auto-shooters ?
« on: June 25, 2008, 03:47:17 pm »
Hi, I use snipers to backup my front troops. Sometimes they just stop shooting, had no idea why until recently, and the answer was too obvious to have been missed : they ran out of ammo !
Is there a way to code in a check for reload ammo , or an auto-reload when there's enough TU's to reload on an empty weapon ?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Auto-reload for Auto-shooters ?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 04:08:21 pm »
Moved to bugs and feature requests.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 05:28:09 pm »
I wouldn't call this a bug. There is a reason why reloading it manual.

for one, what if your soldier was shooting out of cover - you want him to move behind some cover and then reload. He might not have enough TU's for both. If he automaticely relaods, then he would left himself exposed and there's nothing you could do about it.

Management of TU expenditure MUST be manual, even more so since you have no battle save.

scamp

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 05:42:33 pm »
Agreed. Maybe a Request to implement a 'shoot' by the soldier that his ammo is empty ? Just a message in the message log would do too.
Something like "Rfl Andy Garcia is out of ammo"

Sophisanmus

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 09:30:11 pm »
If TUs are to be switched completely to pre-pay for reaction fire, I think there should be some accommodation made for auto-reloading during reactions, when no other weapon is available.  If there are TUs reserved for reactions, and those TUs will be discarded at the start of the next turn, it makes sense that the trooper would spend them to reload his gun (if he has enough) instead of wasting them pointing an empty gun at the alien and yelling "Bang-bang!"

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 10:32:02 pm »
In my opinion reloading is a minor-enough thing that it does not need to be automated.  How often do you have the same soldier reload more than once during a battle?  Hardly ever in my case...

Sophisanmus

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 12:50:32 am »
Sniper rifles, rocket launchers, and other high-power low-ammo weapons.  The launchers might take too much TU to fire, reload, and fire again in one turn, though in some cases a soldier may have enough to fire and reload (without firing again) in a reaction period.  Now snipers, especially reacting at long-range from a vantage point, are more likely to exhaust their ammunition in reaction and have enough TU remaining to reload in a reaction period, which would be much appreciated. 

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 11:44:07 pm »
I have had snipers run out of ammo when left on reaction fire.

a message like scamp suggests would be good.

perhaps even a click (of trigger with no ammo) when they would have reacted.

remind me on IRC, if you think the message is a good idea, and I will see if I can do it.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 11:39:36 am »
Isn't the shoot command red and that icons in the command bar too when you run out of ammo?

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 11:19:53 pm »
I think it would be better if the default remains that a player must reload manually.
It gives a player more stuff to watch out :)

However, in case this would be implemented, it could be a "hidden" option for those people who want this
automatical reload (and they could enable it specifically. For me, I stick to whatever defaults the
devs have designed for the game anyway, but I think having a somewhat flexible engine is only an advantage.)

scamp

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 01:36:46 am »
In Jagged Alliance I think to remember that the dudes would say something like "I ran out of ammo !!!" with a grumpy tone , to warn you they couldn't react-fire. My snipers consume loads of bullets ( they aren't very good at aiming and even if they hit something, it usually takes 2-3 hits to down it with a sniper on 'very hard' level )

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 07:38:37 pm »
scamo: very hard level - hard core, man!  Respect.

IMHO: screw the reloads - the squad is small, the time is infinite, micromanagement is part of the fun.  May well want to run, then reload. Better alive behind cover with empty weapon that dead in the open with a loaded one.

Sophisanmus

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 08:14:44 pm »
Keep in mind, when an actor runs out of ammo during reaction fire, he still isn't going to be moving out of the way.  I say it is better to expend those pre-spent TUs for an automatic reload when there are no other options, than sit there with an empty gun and wasted TUs until the next round starts and you have to spend that next turn's TUs reloading what could have been reloaded already...

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 10:47:34 pm »
ok, I would grudgingly submit that when set to reaction fire, and if the reaction check was passed, maybe then the soldier should reload...  Agree.

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 12:14:33 am »
So, you're saying the soldier with the empty weapon should wait until a BEM comes his/her way before deciding to reload?  By the time the load is complete the target is probably already out of sight, or has already blasted our soldier.  I humbly suggest that any soldier which is set to reaction fire and is empty should attempt to reload when the player initiates a turn end.  Since the player has already selected to end the turn, they obviously don't plan to move the soldier any more that turn...