project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: is there a new Beta?  (Read 10369 times)

kingshill

is there a new Beta?
« on: June 16, 2008, 10:31:04 am »
Hi,

is somewhere a newer (but stable) and compiled 2.3x version available?
I found the one @ mattn (http://mattn.ninex.info/?page=Download) but it is >3 month?

thanks,
Kingshill

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: is there a new Beta?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 11:37:16 am »
the 2.3 versions are never stable

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 02:39:15 pm »
they will be one day.

then 2.4 won't be stable

:)

Offline Mayhem

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 09:20:19 pm »
As a complete non-programmer, is there an easy way for me to play the most recent beta?  I tried th emost recent *packaged* beta but it's a few months old and has some major glitches.

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 09:30:40 pm »
It is possible for a complete non-programmer to to get a checkout of the subversion repository and compile it. A lot of effort has been put into making it as easy as humanly possible. all the information you need is on the wiki.

new testers for the unstable code are welcome.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 07:54:12 am »
EDIT/UPDATE:  Beta installers are now available at: http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=2830.msg18960#msg18960 (for anyone who searches and comes across this thread).

Original post:

I've recently found out that my web  hosting service does not have limits on traffic or space for my website, with my current hosting package.

Seeing that the beta package is old, I'm currently uploading two files:

- The first file is an updated MinGW with current libraries and dll files all included.  Last time I checked the wiki the prepackaged copy was out of date with an old MinGW/gcc compiler that doesn't work anymore.  With the copy I'm uploading, all one has to do is download the binary installer for codeblocks from the codeblocks or sourceforge website and point everything to the copy I'm uploading (un-zipped somewhere) inside the codeblocks program after installing it.  It should work.  This is so people can compile the SVN if they checkout a copy.

- The second file is an already-compiled snapshot of rev. 17777 from the 2.3 trunk, about the most recent copy or close to it from the time I'm writing this.  It also has the maps compiled, although it doesn't have an installer - just un-zip it somewhere and then run ufo.exe, it's that easy.  (For those who don't know, right clicking on ufo.exe in windows explorer will allow creating a desktop shortcut icon.)  The zip file also has SVN stuff and a few RoQ videos I've been working on (including one with sound, for testing the cinematic command), I copied just about everything from the working folder on my hard drive.  Also note that if you have Tortoise SVN installed, you should be able to update from wherever you un-zip the file.

It'll take about 12 hours for everything to finish uploading, and then I'll post links.

FYI: This snapshot has some features not in the older installer from the beta site that are rather cool, including radar installations outside of bases, some kind of additional weapon, and other changes the devs made since the old one that is several months old.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 07:15:33 pm by Destructavator »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 09:00:24 am »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 10:58:07 am »
creating an installer is quite easy - execute the archives.bat in the base/ dir and install nsis (http://nsis.sourceforge.net) - then right click on src/ports/windows/installer.nsi and select compile - in general that should be all you have to do.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 11:11:03 am »
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for the next time I upload/distribute a snapshot.  Honestly I haven't played around with nsis at all, although I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult.  (I glanced at the nsis website, it looks simple enough.)

In the meantime, can you or one of the other devs, if you have time that is, please verify that the MinGW package I just uploaded works to compile the game on windows with the latest codeblocks binary installer?  As I said before, the pre-packaged one linked to in the wiki has an out-of-date MinGW/gcc in it and doesn't work for the current trunk, while the one I just uploaded works for me on my system.

Also, I should have checked this - I might have accidentally placed more than one copy of the dll files within that package I just posted a link to, in more than one folder.  (The dlls from the "contrib" folder.)  Like I said I got it to work and compile the game, but having multiple (redundant) copies of the same files makes the zipped package larger in filesize than it needs to be.  (Sorry, my fault!)

As for the snapshot, it is still uploading, and has about another 6 to 7 hours to go...

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 11:55:00 am »
creating an installer is quite easy - execute the archives.bat in the base/ dir and install nsis (http://nsis.sourceforge.net) - then right click on src/ports/windows/installer.nsi and select compile - in general that should be all you have to do.

I just tried this, yes it was easy, and it also successfully made an installer less than half the size of the zip I was trying to upload!

I think I'll upload this installer instead, it's much smaller, and shouldn't take as long to upload.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 01:50:39 pm »
There is also an installer up at http://ufoai.streetofeyes.com/ufoai-2.3-dev-win32.exe
I update it from time to time. Last update was two days ago. I don't know exactly which revision though...

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 04:17:51 pm »
Interesting.  In the interest of coordinating/pooling beta installers, what I can do is start a new, dedicated forum thread when I'm done uploading the one I have (a little less than an hour to go now) where anyone who builds such installers could post links when they are put up, with (optionally) possibly a few quick comments about the build (whether or not they tested it, etc.).  Then anyone who wants to try an installer could go to the thread and navigate through the links to pick a recent one - the forum software already shows the date and time when posts are made.  Comments on crashes, errors, problems etc. could still be posted in separate threads under the Windows category, although it would be a good idea to encourage people to mention which build they are testing.  What do you guys (developers) think?

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 05:16:10 pm »
Well, anyways, here it is:

http://www.destructavator.com/public/ufoai-2.3-dev-win32.zip

Approx. 450 MB in size, may include a few RoQ video clips not found in the SVN.
Revision ~17777
Note: EXE has been placed in a ZIP file due to web hosting restrictions on file types.

Offline TimMayle

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 02:36:01 pm »
Well, anyways, here it is:

http://www.destructavator.com/public/ufoai-2.3-dev-win32.zip

Approx. 450 MB in size, may include a few RoQ video clips not found in the SVN.
Revision ~17777
Note: EXE has been placed in a ZIP file due to web hosting restrictions on file types.

Hi,

I tried your binary and it installs fine.

So much work has been done since 2.2.1 and the last 2.3-dev version I installed.
Sadly, I couldn't recover my previous saved game. But anyway, I started a new game.

Thanks for all this nice work.

Tim

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 09:49:29 pm »
Saved games are NOT compatible between 2.2 and 2.3. Savegames also break occasionally between 2.3 revisions. If you're going to keep updating, be prepared to start a new game every time you do so.