project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Can't walk up the stairs to UFO  (Read 5022 times)

Roy Dest

Can't walk up the stairs to UFO
« on: June 12, 2008, 02:24:26 pm »
Hello.
Thanks for the greaaaat game. I'm UFO EU, TftD, and Apocalypse veteran. Also, this is my first post here.

I shot down a small UFO (or ambushed it? didn't look damaged), probably a supply ship, which is ascended above ground and Ortnoks walks out and in by a sort of sloping platform or stairs.
My tactics went extremely well, I surrounded the ship exit by Snipers, Assaulters and Grenadiers, while my two Agents sneaked from behind to the stairs, to stun the Ortnoks when they will continue coming out. Which they didn't really do much, seeing that massive fire force in front of them. (also I wasn't yet aware, that the AI always knows where the soldiers are)

I shot one of three in the ship and wanted to run there by both Agents to stun them at one moment, but... The slope leading into the ship just appeared as an obstacle, not as stairs. I couldn't walk up there and get my Ortnoks alive (so far I have one Shevaar alive, fortunately that's enough for all researches) so I shot one of them, the second hid deeper in the ship, and I had a hard time with flushing him out by a dozen or more of blindly shot incendiary grenades, before he probably died by boredom and I was allowed to end the mission. That's pleasant like a cat, which doesn't kill a mouse properly, and the mouse crawls somewhere, dies there and the room stinks for a month.

This kind of UFO stairs, lubed by an anti-human lubricant, making the earther's boots slip off, is probably a very ingenious alien's advantage over a miserable earthlings. Can't wait for my engineers to fool this trick and make me boots of an alien leather. Ortnok tough skin makes a good military boots, however, my agents would deserve something subtler and more elegant, maybe a Taman...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 02:35:25 pm by Roy Dest »

Offline Falion

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Can't walk up the stairs to UFO
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 02:42:38 pm »
 Too Funny  :D

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 03:23:02 pm »
Happened to me too. The first mission where you got to stop the aliens from releasing a virus. The aliens land in a big troop ship of some sort - my agent got stuck on the stairs - couldn't go up OR down.
He could turn in place, but everyting else showed up as unwalkable terrain.
Other agents  could move just past him and continue.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 03:41:21 pm »
it was fixed in 2.3

Roy Dest

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 03:57:59 pm »
it was fixed in 2.3
Glad to hear it!

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 05:54:01 pm »
Alien hide boots...what an idea!  I love it.  We can't sell coprses, but can I set my engineers to making leather jackets, wallets, etc?

To be eco-friendly...a restaurant?  Ortnok steak, anyone?  I mean, it comes from the field already partially cooked - depending how close to the laser burn, from raw to well done.

Offline BAM

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 08:03:44 pm »
Well done Taman for me, please.

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 10:12:23 pm »
Why, absolutely, Sir.  One well done USDA choice, hive-raised Taman coming right up.  It is a bit gamy, the someliere suggests a nice Roja wine with the meat.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 10:59:46 pm »
WAITER! I got a plasma grenade in my Ortnok!

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 11:39:20 pm »
A fragment or a whole grenade?  This is important: a fragment is likely to cause a chipped tooth, while an entire greande, if biten down on, may cause a major, major headache.

Offline Falion

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 11:41:13 pm »
Hey Dan...no head = no headache  :D

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 04:23:28 pm »
it was fixed in 2.3

You mean, it will be when 2.3 is released?

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 04:47:04 pm »
It was fixed in trunk. Current trunk version is 2.3. And trunk cans be compiled and played. That all what I mean.

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 12:51:13 am »
I tried trunk, but i never inhaled.   :P  No, seriously, half the time when all the makes were complete, all i got out of it was a seg fault.  Or the game would start, but refuse to load my save.  Or whatever.  I gave up.  Really, you should have stopped when you said that trunk can be compiled.  On any given day, it was not what i would consider to be 'playable'.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 06:37:16 am »
Strange. I use only trunk since september. And yes, sometimes (most of time) it doesn`t playable at all. But currently you can play without much problem.

PS: And, about your previous post — you said 'will be fixed', but it 'was fixed already', unlike many open bugs that will be fixed to release date, and some open bugs that will not.