project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: CPU problem while playing  (Read 19493 times)

Offline Falion

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: CPU problem while playing
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 10:08:10 pm »
In truth your right BT, I've just been told by people much more intelligent than myself that it can "possibly" happen...don't know, that's just what I've been told. Seems a bit "strange" and contrary to what the OS is supposed to be doing...but who the heck really knows...someone vastly more intelligent than me that's for sure. If Mac's could run "every" PC game out there...I'd never make / own another PC ever again LMAO...darn crappy Windows OS anyhow  :D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 12:33:10 am by Falion »

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 12:05:20 am »
Falion,

Thank you for the detailed post!  It is true, the machine needs more RAM and I am guilty of taking a somewhat lazy approach.  *sigh*  Time to get serious about this.

Offline Falion

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 12:32:37 am »
Your welcome...while your still using McAffee...try and disable it if possible while playing any games...AV's can cause havoc at times when gaming if they are up and running. Not to mention that it is just using up resources your games could be utilizing.

Offline EchizenR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 11:28:22 am »
Falion, many thanks for that detailed post. I guess I should get more RAM, but with no income presently, I guess I'll just endure it. Anyway, I don't usually play AI more than 1-2 missions at a time.

As for your list of free programs, I've downloaded the CCleaner and the a-squared program. I'm also using Spybot, but since you've recommended a-squared, I'll remove it. Teatimer takes up quite a bit of memory. In addition, the AV that I'm using is Avira AV Personal and Zonealarm firewall. Is a-squared Free an AV? If thats case, I can replace Avira, which always lags the CPU while updating. I also have Windows Defender installed and regularly updated.

I also just installed a program called RAM Idle LE which is supposed to improve system performance, does anyone here use that?

Lastly, I have a question about CPU performance. Under the XP task manager there's a number at the bottom right hand corner that says Commit Charge. Before I play AI, the maximum is usually 450-550/920M, but after playing AI and returning to a laggy Windows, the maximum 'charge' goes from 920 to 1000+M. What does this mean?

Thanks again for your advice.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 12:33:41 pm by EchizenR »

Offline Falion

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 02:11:05 pm »
No...A-Squared is a free-ware program that's just a spyware / tojan remover, it doesn't do anything for virus protection. However, Avast, and AVG, that I listed below it are both free anti-virus programs. If your using these...my "suggestion" is to be utilizing some browser other than IE, like Firefox...which keeps you much less at risk when web browsing than old IE does. The best way to avoid viruses, is use a browser that helps keeps you from getting a virus in the first place and that sure the heck isn't IE. :D

Zone Alarm is a fairly decent firewall BTW. As far as lagging a PC when a AV program updates...just disable automatic updating...just remember to manually update at least every few days to stay current.

EDIT: I've never used the AV your using Ariva, so I cannot comment on it one way or another. If your dissatisfied with it, for some reason... try using Avast instead.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 06:43:25 pm by Falion »

Offline brbdtrade

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2019, 12:05:35 pm »

Try using these free programs before doing so...they might pick up some stuff that's slowing your system down.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

If you face any problem to download CCleaner then you can download it from here: https://nearfile.com/system_tuning/ccleaner/