project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: New missions proposals  (Read 7568 times)

Offline Nevasith

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: New missions proposals
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 01:16:46 pm »
a thick armor on an UGV would stand a light and medium weapons easily (plasma/particle pistols and rifles) but the canons would be deadly effective against them i guess- still its better to place a 200kg of C4 on a UGV than make soldier carry it ;)

das

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 10:04:38 am »
If the local troops idea is implemented, maybe some kind of a Mumbai-all-over-again-deluxe mission could happen in one of the larger urban environments (probably set in a national capital, or at least some otehr established city). A larger-than-normal alien force is massacring citizens and such at the centre; the local forces are trying to pin them down, but the mission would be balanced so as to make the local resistance futile if not assisted. I think such more large scale missions would make a lot sense later into the game. Oh, and ofcourse the fallout from a failure here would be immense.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 12:42:23 pm »
We don't have maps that big, nor do we want to have any. The bigger the map the heavier the load on memory and video hardware, and we're trying to minimize both. In addition, we don't want to drag out mission play times longer than we have to.

The size of a map isn't set, but you can safely assume that the biggest maps we have right now are about as big as they are going to get.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 01:29:33 pm »
Do you really need bigger maps to make such a mission? It can fit more aliens and local troops.

I also don't think a bigger map would really be a performace issue given that the game is turn based, is not a resource hog (lower poly models, simpler textures, etc..) and the power of modern hardware.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 01:32:16 pm »
Try opening a base defence map and zooming out all the way. You'll notice a considerable slowdown. Also, we aren't developing for "modern hardware" per se. We want people with older systems to be able to play the game as well.

das

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 03:50:49 pm »
It is indeed doable with the present map size, though it might be harder to set up correctly.

For the record, I too support the various defensive map ideas. The way it is aliens are all too often put on the defensive; that does makes sense on some earlier levels as they are taken by surprise in mid-rampage, but it would be really nice to have them turn the tables on the Phalanx force every now and then.

das

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 12:17:39 pm »
Having recently read this spoilered thread, I have been amazed by possibilities inherent here.

So will we have to face attacks from human forces if the subversions spread too far? I'm especially looking forward to subverted nations (or at least subverted military units) attacking PHALANX bases. And, alternatively, there could be raids on important infected installations (and ofcourse this might be a nice idea for an ambush mission: have the PHALANX arrive on a military installation type mission, and then have the military stab them in the back). Maybe even a coup d'etat against infected governments?

Anyway, I think some of the civilians randomly turning against you in the late game should spice up any mission nicely. And that's what the late game needs most.