project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Need a modeler?  (Read 141053 times)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Need a modeler?
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2008, 07:29:57 am »
for mulitplayer it's fine to have more weapons. But for singleplayer it's up to winter to include new ones. And as he said, alien weapons are still needed (though you have to ask him for specs)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2008, 07:34:40 am »
ah btw. if you model weapons, please also model the ammo boxes

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2008, 08:03:43 am »
they are exported now and are in our svn - if someone wants to create the ufo script values for the new weapons.... (but only for multiplayer - at least the xaw5 weapon - not sure about the recoil weapon)

we need entries in equipment.ufo and weapon_*.ufo as well as research.ufo

the best would be to copy the chaingun and search the ufo script files for the chaingun entries - (because this weapon is multiplayer only, too)

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2008, 11:11:21 am »
ah btw. if you model weapons, please also model the ammo boxes

The Coilgun uses the same ammo as the bolter.
Teh vindicator ammo Box is part of the weapons model.
It's a 2 minute job to detach it and save is as a separate model...hmm..alltough It uses the 256x256 texture of the weapon for the ammo box too (currently). Shouldn't be a problem tough, since you won't have the ammo and not the weapon on screen anyway.

So, the alien needler gun is needed next.. Fires big needles, sleek weapon, big ammo box? O.k., I'm on it! Aliens needs some luv too :D .. After all, veriety is the spice of life! ;)

EDIT: Are the weapons exported and scaled properly?
If so, I'll make a test run of them..give them some basic stats and descriptions. Jsut got to get hooked up to the SVN and D/L them back :)

Bloody hell, which is the latest SVN branch?  ???

EDIT2: Hm.. I just noticed the weapon isn't exported to md2. Looks like I'll have to do it..I gotta look into proper scaling, orientation and other exportation specifics first...

EDIT3:
There aren't any good instruction on weapon exporting...Don't weapons need to be properly aligned and scaled? There has to be some way to mark where the weapon should be help (grip)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 11:54:44 am by TrashMan »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2008, 04:41:07 pm »
Ok, then we can just copy the model

Teh vindicator ammo Box is part of the weapons model.
It's a 2 minute job to detach it and save is as a separate model...hmm..alltough It uses the 256x256 texture of the weapon for the ammo box too (currently). Shouldn't be a problem tough, since you won't have the ammo and not the weapon on screen anyway.
Ok, then please send the model as soon as you have it, then i can export it.

So, the alien needler gun is needed next.. Fires big needles, sleek weapon, big ammo box? O.k., I'm on it! Aliens needs some luv too :D .. After all, veriety is the spice of life! ;)
That's something where only winter and btaxis can help you with - i don't know.

EDIT: Are the weapons exported and scaled properly?
If so, I'll make a test run of them..give them some basic stats and descriptions. Jsut got to get hooked up to the SVN and D/L them back :)
They are exported and scaled properly (or at least should be - i haven't tested them in-game) - see http://ufoai.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ufoai?view=rev&revision=17018

Bloody hell, which is the latest SVN branch?  ???
It's trunk

EDIT2: Hm.. I just noticed the weapon isn't exported to md2. Looks like I'll have to do it..I gotta look into proper scaling, orientation and other exportation specifics first...
See the link above - they are exported

EDIT3:
There aren't any good instruction on weapon exporting...Don't weapons need to be properly aligned and scaled? There has to be some way to mark where the weapon should be help (grip)
What do you need to export them? Maybe we can update the wiki article to show all the relevant information.
Basically i import existing models and scale the new weapon models like the old one. The orientation of the weapons was correct (the 3ds files you sent)

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2008, 05:10:44 pm »
aha..thanks for clarifiying that..

So, basicely, the axis/normal location defines where the gun is grabbed?

PS
I don't know how Winter wants the coilgun to work ammo wise. My initial suggestion was that it uses the same ammo (not just the model - exactly the same ammo) as the bolter, since coilguns and railguns can fire the same ammo (a tungsten or some other material round).
The coilgun just fires it faster, slower and more accurate.
OR, you could make a new ammo type. Just re-color (new texture) the current bolter ammo. You get a new, bigger round + bigger power pack.

I'll make a ammo box for the vindicator ASAP...erm..you want me to make a small texture for it, or is it cool if is uses the 256x256 one?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2008, 06:04:08 pm »
you can use the weapon texture, too then we don't have to load two different textures for the same thing

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2008, 06:11:43 pm »
A quick sketch....crappy quality I know...scanner is acting up lately.

I'm almost done with the XAW95 ammo box. Texturing is a piece of cake, so I'll leave the decision on texture to you Mattn. Should I make a new, smaller texture for the ammo box (it's 5 minutes of work, tops)?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 08:27:21 pm by Mattn »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2008, 08:09:29 pm »
as i said - not needed - if we can use the same texture but only different coordinates that would be less memory consuming, because we don't have to load two textures.

The sketch is cool - it would be nice if you would release your sketches under creative commons, too. then we could commit them to our svn, too (maybe they will be useful later, too)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2008, 10:05:18 pm »
Is this ok? AFAIR bolter ammo contains the rails too but coilgun doesn't need them. Bolter's ammo shouldn't fit in the coilgun. However the model can be the base of the coilgun's.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2008, 12:38:35 am »
AFAIR bolter ammo contains the rails too but coilgun doesn't need them. Bolter's ammo shouldn't fit in the coilgun. However the model can be the base of the coilgun's.

Hm.. I looked to me like one long slug + energy catridge/power cell... that long thing is the rail? Allrighty then, I'll make a 5 big slug + power cell catridge for it.

b.t.w. - how does one get the items in-game? I added the coilgun to the human weapons, to the research and to the equipment...started a new game - nuttin!
Oh, and how does one open those .mo files (in the i18n folder). One has to add proper descriptions, but I can't make heads or tails of those files. The only thing that somewhat opens them is Wordpad but the whole top is gibberish.

The sketch is cool - it would be nice if you would release your sketches under creative commons, too. then we could commit them to our svn, too (maybe they will be useful later, too)

Allright, consider all my sketches CC licensed then. The armor in the bottom is the begining of the heavier armor (medium?)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2008, 01:05:30 am »
Hm.. I looked to me like one long slug + energy catridge/power cell... that long thing is the rail? Allrighty then, I'll make a 5 big slug + power cell catridge for it.

For the coilgun, we'd like it to have only a single shot magazine and battery, to better differentiate it from the other sniper weapons and the Bolter.

b.t.w. - how does one get the items in-game? I added the coilgun to the human weapons, to the research and to the equipment...started a new game - nuttin!
Oh, and how does one open those .mo files (in the i18n folder). One has to add proper descriptions, but I can't make heads or tails of those files. The only thing that somewhat opens them is Wordpad but the whole top is gibberish.

Don't try adding items yourself, we do that for any models you send in, and we'll handle writeups for them too if we're including them in the single-player campaign.

Allright, consider all my sketches CC licensed then. The armor in the bottom is the begining of the heavier armor (medium?)

Eh?

Regards,
Winter

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2008, 01:38:13 am »
1 might be too little....2-3... after all, ti's just a slug, it doesn't take that much space

As far as items - I'm adding them them for testing purposes and for my hearts content :P I like modding and fiddling with stuff...
And since I generally am not a big multiplayer player, I want to see some of the multiplayer exclusive stuff in the singleplayer for me...

Don't tell me that weapons availability is hardcoded????

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2008, 08:37:59 am »
Don't tell me that weapons availability is hardcoded????
No, it's in the equipment.ufo file - you have to add it to the market, the player equipment or the alien equipment, then you can buy it, equip it right from the start or collect it from aliens you killed while looting the battlefield.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2008, 11:09:04 am »
1 might be too little....2-3... after all, ti's just a slug, it doesn't take that much space

The battery pack for the coilgun does, however. Coilguns require more power than railguns such as the Bolter, and a sniper variant would have to fire a heavier slug quite a lot faster due to the ranges involved and the need for a one-shot kill.

That's why we want 1 round per magazine for this one.

Regards,
Winter