project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Need a modeler?  (Read 138217 times)

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Need a modeler?
« Reply #345 on: April 24, 2009, 09:49:32 pm »
Yes really. Hate to be the one to tell you this, but that part of the UFO:AI story stinks to the High Heavens.

But anyway - you want the model or not?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 24, 2009, 09:55:50 pm »
I guess so, if your licensing mumbo-jumbo is in order, as usual.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #347 on: April 25, 2009, 12:05:16 am »
Yes really. Hate to be the one to tell you this, but that part of the UFO:AI story stinks to the High Heavens.

I think I'll continue trusting my writing instincts over your opinions, especially given how absolutely god-awful your suggestions have been.

Regards,
Winter

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 25, 2009, 09:03:53 pm »
I think I'll continue trusting my writing instincts over your opinions, especially given how absolutely god-awful your suggestions have been.

It's your perogative to do so, but I don't consider my suggestions bad. Especially given that every single one of my mods I made got the highest ratings. So obviously I'm doing something right.

Also a note - in 9 years of modding and working on various projects, and being on a lot of forums, I've yet to recall anyone ever complaining (in JA2 and X-COM like games) about weapons like a minigun or desert eagle being in the game. I do recall them complaining they they weren't in tough.

EDIT:
Don't take this the wrong way Winter. I'm not exactly good at delivering critics (I'm too blunt and lack tact), but I just wanted to say that maybe everything isn't a perfect as you think it is. Self-criticism and constant improvements and re-evaluations are the only real way to go. Which is why I constantly re-work the things I made, again and again and again. (which reminds me, I'm working on a better texture for the XAW95 and the pistol, so I won't be able to send it over immediately. I'm also doing something for infinity so it may take a while.)

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 16, 2009, 01:57:28 pm »
Here you go - 4 modes and 3 textures.

2 pistols and 2 version of the rifle (only difference is the muzzle, for polygon reduction purposes)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #350 on: June 16, 2009, 08:20:29 pm »
keep in mind that we accept almost everything - but not for the official campaign that winter and btaxis are creating. what they say is the law here. but that doesn't mean we won't add weapons to the game. multiplayer e.g. can use every weapon you are contributing. and you can also always write new campaigns that use existing and maybe also your new weapons.

btw. i've commited your stuff to data_source, now - what should be the real names for the weapons?

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 16, 2009, 11:44:24 pm »
Whatever you want them to be.

I actually named the better looking pistol Automag VI, but feel free to name it something different.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 17, 2009, 12:19:20 am »
Hi. Can you upload a simple preview.
I test importing them into Blender, but i am a noob, and the result is untextured :-/

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 17, 2009, 07:59:36 pm »

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 17, 2009, 08:04:34 pm »
thx a lot

Offline misiek

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 18, 2009, 05:20:09 pm »
Hello,

I like your models very much (this and previous).

I really hope that you will get along with Winter & Btaxis and you will create some models which will be added into official campaign. It would be shame if ufo:ai couldn't use your modelling skills.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 24, 2009, 12:10:15 am »
0.02€

Your Automag IV is more or less a hand cannon but IIRC PHALANX are looking for a short sniper rifle instead of a hand cannon, ie. they care more about the penetrating capability than the pure stopping power. I have to say it looks cool though.

The Generic Pistol (GP) is more what a standart issue sidearm looks like and pretty well made. I'm not sure if the bullets desing affects its penetration but if it is what gives the Five-Seven its (supposedly) good penetration I'd suggest making the magazine and the grip somewhat longer (for a longer and possibly thinner bullet).

Isn't that assault rifle FA-MAS?

Titan

« Reply #357 on: June 24, 2009, 05:05:59 pm »
Heh. Hey Trashman.

Wow, those look good.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 26, 2009, 02:06:44 pm »
0.02€

Your Automag IV is more or less a hand cannon but IIRC PHALANX are looking for a short sniper rifle instead of a hand cannon, ie. they care more about the penetrating capability than the pure stopping power. I have to say it looks cool though.

The Generic Pistol (GP) is more what a standart issue sidearm looks like and pretty well made. I'm not sure if the bullets desing affects its penetration but if it is what gives the Five-Seven its (supposedly) good penetration I'd suggest making the magazine and the grip somewhat longer (for a longer and possibly thinner bullet).

Isn't that assault rifle FA-MAS?

The pistol on the bottom is a made up-one. High-tech stuff.

The above pistol is modeled after Automag V (in fact, uses a edited photo of the gun for a texture)

The assualt rifle is a modeled after the experimental prototype of the VHS rifle. The final rifle ended up looking differently (that model I uploaded far earlier) and lost some of the cool new techs (like the anti-recoil system), probably to make it cheaper.