project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Need a modeler?  (Read 141361 times)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Need a modeler?
« Reply #330 on: April 21, 2009, 11:23:22 pm »
Back on topic, though, what should we do with those latest models, Winter? I kind of like the gun myself, but not the rifle.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 22, 2009, 01:32:59 am »
I actually think there are way too many human weapons already. More isn't better; it's quite the contrary at times. Aftershock's arsenal was stupidly large, and it hurt the game from where I'm standing.

How can more choice hurt a game?
The most downloaded mods for UFO:AS, JA2 and similar games are weapon enhacement mods - mods that add more guns. If they hurt the game, you'd think other mods would be more popular.

A lot of choice (in this case guns) can only hurt the game if the impact of choice is meaningless - like having 30 assault rifles who's only difference between them is 1m of range or 1 point of damage. Now, if you have 3 rifles where the differences are bigger, to the point of actually being noticable, then you're golden.

EDIT: AAAAAARGH!!!!

I made a new handgun.. A friggin super one, makes the other one look like an utter pile of crap. I fell in love with the new gun. Now the scene got corrupted!!!!! I'll have to do it from scratch!

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 22, 2009, 01:58:20 am »
Well, as with all things, moderation is key. 56 different assult rifle-class weapons would REALLY be bad, but being able to choose between 2 or 3, would not be bad. I would go with the one that is average in everything, or high in accuracy, but thats me. They say a widely diversified army will win in any situation.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #333 on: April 22, 2009, 09:09:12 am »
I'm one of the 'tons of guns' players in JA2 and other games, but BTAxis is right. We don't want to overwhelm the player with weapon choices, particularly between weapons in the same class which require weighing a lot of tiny factors, and especially not at the start of the game. It's vital to keep it simple for the benefit of all players, or at least introduce it simple. In general people mod in extra guns only after they're familiar with the main system and the primary arsenal.

Regards,
Winter

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 22, 2009, 11:48:00 am »
Thanks Winter, that's precisely how I feel. I've been known to download mods that add more of everything too (modding is part of the fun of a game experience for me), but I wouldn't want a vanilla game to be that expansive. Cue my trusty case in point, the free open source game Advanced Strategic Command, a game modeled after Battle Isle 2 and 3 that is so rife with features, mechanics and content that it is impossible to get into.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 22, 2009, 02:19:18 pm »
I'm one of the 'tons of guns' players in JA2 and other games, but BTAxis is right. We don't want to overwhelm the player with weapon choices, particularly between weapons in the same class which require weighing a lot of tiny factors, and especially not at the start of the game. It's vital to keep it simple for the benefit of all players, or at least introduce it simple. In general people mod in extra guns only after they're familiar with the main system and the primary arsenal.

I actually thought Tons of Guns was a bit of an overkill.
Too many guns, too many ammo types, really miniscule differences. But it did add some flare.

The ACM mod for UFO:AS is far better in that regard. Only 2-4 versions of some weapons, each significantly different.

That said, if a player is overwhelemed by having 3 assault rifles instead of 1 then that player is a retard and one has to wonder what is he doing playing a tactical and strategic game like UFO:AI in the first place, since that is nothing compared to managing several bases.

EDIT:
HA..re-did the thing.

Half the polys, twice the awesome!

Offline Chriswriter90

• Squad Leader
  • Zilla Response Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 23, 2009, 04:52:23 am »
HA..re-did the thing.

Half the polys, twice the awesome!

I've got a feeling that it's going to look badass when it's textured.

From that angle, it doesn't look like a pistol, it looks like a hand-cannon.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 06:49:51 am by Mattn »

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 23, 2009, 12:44:01 pm »
Inspired by Automag V ... .50 AE gun that puts the Desert Eagle to shame (and that's what the first, textured model actually is)

This is a more futuristic version

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 23, 2009, 06:43:57 pm »
AAahhh..some progress is being made

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline misiek

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 23, 2009, 07:58:52 pm »
WOW ! That looks deadly and awesome :)

I really like your models, it would be great to see them in game.

I have a suggestion for you - if your models cant be added into game because there aren't place for new weapons maybe you could try to remake/enhance current models? I think that your models have much better quality than current game models.

It will be shame if ufo:ai won't use your potential.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #340 on: April 23, 2009, 11:05:47 pm »
We can't use an Automag, Desert Eagle or any other hand cannon in the main campaign because it's a civilian toy, not a military sidearm. PHALANX would never use it.

A genuinely useable battlefield pistol would be accepted, but then, nobody models what we actually need anymore.

Regards,
Winter

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 24, 2009, 01:23:19 am »
The one I modeled doesn't actually exist at all, so the model is pretty much universal.
The first one (on the image with the rifle), does.

And I'd use it. I also hear some soldiers use it too.
And Phlanax would use it if it was effective against alien armor. It's all about the circumstances.

Which reminds me - has there been any changes in the main story, any refinements? Cause the current XVI virus thing is utterly terrible. Even worse than the UFO: AS "mating warships with mind control" bit, and that made me puke and put the game on the shelf.

I'll never get you people...never. All the talk about realism and you keep pulling stunts that irks me more than the unrealistic stuff in most other games....combined

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 24, 2009, 11:05:19 am »
Nope, story remains unchanged.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 24, 2009, 02:45:21 pm »