project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Need a modeler?  (Read 141660 times)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Need a modeler?
« Reply #315 on: December 16, 2008, 01:49:51 pm »
You were told "no" and you didn't let it go. It wasn't a matter of "no, but if you change it a bit it'll become yes". You were sitting around going on about your model while the rest of us had moved on. That's what happened, nothing else.

You also did say you were ready to start a new model from scratch, and I'm not happy that Winter didn't react to that. But that's why I'm telling you to just go ahead and make something new now.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 16, 2008, 03:41:17 pm »
FYI, I never told I'd change it a bit. From the beginning I offered to change ANYTHING (drasticly if need be. I often do that) or make a new one.

What you refer to as "going on about your model" was me trying to get some guidelines as to what Winter actually wanted. That's why no progress has been made for so long. I was waiting for input.

now all the aircraft slots are complete.....

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 16, 2008, 04:46:29 pm »
So why didn't you make a new one? Because you didn't receive "input"? Sitters doesn't receive input. He just makes something and shows us. And we usually like it, but if we don't that's no big deal. Why can't it be the same for you?

Martinux

« Reply #318 on: December 25, 2008, 12:23:46 pm »
Hello TrashMan, I'm quite surprised to see you here. :)

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 20, 2009, 06:34:25 pm »
I actually made this for a small UFO Aftershock mod yesterday, but I figure I can post it here too:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 08:21:48 pm by Mattn »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #320 on: April 20, 2009, 08:22:56 pm »
if you would like to contribute the models, which license? and where can we get the files?

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 20, 2009, 09:07:41 pm »
I can send them over/attach/upload if you like em (and of course, the standard license, just like for other models).

The question would be if you'd need them or use them at all.

Also, there's a 1012 poly limit, right? I think the assault rifle is 1450 so I will probably have to optimize quite a bit.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 09:09:33 pm by TrashMan »

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #322 on: April 21, 2009, 12:10:52 pm »
I like your this model more than existed in game.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 21, 2009, 02:50:50 pm »
I just checked. The Automag V is 954 polys, so it's OK to go.

I actually plan to make a more futuristic version (minor changes and a new texture)

The rifle is modeled after the experimental VHS rifle concept (too bad that version did not go into production) and has 1434 polys - the very smooth barrel carrying a lot of that number.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #324 on: April 21, 2009, 08:57:04 pm »
no, there is no poly limit - i'm not exactly sure whether we would use it in the main campaign - but if you would offer them, i would add them to multiplayer only... or allow mod creators to use them.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 21, 2009, 10:35:18 pm »
As we already have models for all the human weapons we want to use in the campaign, the only way a human weapon model would make it in is if Winter decided it was better than an existing one.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 21, 2009, 10:39:47 pm »
For what it's worth, I'll say that I really like the look of that pistol, and even if it doesn't end up in the campaign I'd be interested in making a mod that uses it.  I'm actually still working on one mod, although I'll admit I've been putting it on a back burner for some time while working on other stuff...

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 21, 2009, 10:53:00 pm »
I frankly think that there's too little variety in human stock weaponry. ONE assault rifle?

Just how do you pick the best assault rifle? It's like picking the prettiest girl on the planet? Impossible.
Some have more punch (use a larger caliber), some are more accurate, some have more magazine capacity, some have more range. So too little I say.

UFO: AS and it's mods did good. You had a lot of firearms to choose from. And quite different too.

And now that I think about it, the current description for the assault rifle makes little sense. 5.56mm caseless slugs? And it can only carry 30 bullets per clip?
current assault rifles carry that much, and I'd expect that 80 years from now, with caseless slugs (that are more than half the size) you can fit at least 100

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 21, 2009, 10:59:45 pm »
I actually think there are way too many human weapons already. More isn't better; it's quite the contrary at times. Aftershock's arsenal was stupidly large, and it hurt the game from where I'm standing.

That said, modding in new weapons is pretty easy, but you'll run into a bit of a problem with the UFOPaedia writeups and their translations, as any mod-based articles aren't going to end up on the wiki.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 21, 2009, 11:10:17 pm »
I agree. You want more punch? Equip the machine gun. Want accuracy? Use the sniper rifle. Magazine? Perhaps that would be clip differences. Have more than one clip available for use for a gun, like the grenade launcher. Some clips take more room and more TU to change clips, but hold more rounds, other clips are smaller, carry less, take less room, and dont take long to change.

Maybe its not the equipment that needs to change, just what goes into it. Model some clips, and see what people say