project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Need a modeler?  (Read 141666 times)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: Need a modeler?
« Reply #270 on: December 03, 2008, 08:15:47 pm »
Even if they are bad ones?

In your opinion, that is. How much game design have you done exactly? And how much professionally? How many times have you worked with actual industry people and methods?

Just saying that:

a) this is a hobby project, no one is paying anyone, so people work purely on good will alone. Therefore, having an "iron grip" (if you pardon the expression) on the project might not be the best idea, as it might alianate people who actually make content for "your" (or should I say, "our"? ) game. Personally, I don't make stuff for this because of your wining personality (not that my personality is much better, mind you) and I bet no one is.
Still, it's not as bad as I make it sound - as some other projects I've had the misfrortune fr joining before realising just how little freedom anyone in them actually had. I don't think this project is going down, quite the contrary, I think it will be finished - altough not exactly as fast as it could be.

I am friendly, courteous and respectful to anyone who genuinely contributes to the project without trying to hinder other people doing their part. That is not what you do. The design team doesn't tell the programming team how to do their jobs and vice-versa (unless we need to consult on design issues). In any game project where quality means anything, the artists work with the designers to create models that are coherent with the game, that look like they belong. They don't just chuck random models at the rest of the team and expect them to be used regardless of what they are or how they (don't) fit.

Plus, the way you keep hammering on about every piece of yours that we don't want to use, it comes across as an ego thing more than anything else.

b) you said what you didn't liked about the model, I fixed it, and you haven't said anything after that.

I said there was no circumstance under which we'd ever use it in the single-player campaign. BTAxis agrees. What is the issue?

c) you don't have a model for the starchaser. Not even a temporary one for testing. Makes no sense to not use something someone offers you for free, at least as a temporary fix.

What's there to test? We've already got other interceptors and we've already got other researchable craft. There is nothing to justify crowbarring in a model that doesn't even remotely match the art style of the game.

Regards,
Winter

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 04, 2008, 01:38:21 am »
I worked on quite a lot of project FYI. Lead a few myself. All finished in good time too.

It's not about not using my model in-game. Heck, there's a lot of my stuff that never made it into various projects (some of my stuff didn't make it in MY OWN projects). There's several things of mine you're not using - I'm perfectly fine with that.

The problem I have is of a different nature. You throwing bogus* reasons (like aerodynamics, too thin wing, too big engines) instead of just saying" It's not what we looking for. We want something that has a bit more Z". Some constructive criticims would have been nice to.
Something along the line of "the texture is to dark, doesn't look metaly enough. I envision rounder engines", "Phalanx uses a smaller cockpit" etc...you know, something that might give me a rough idea of what you DO want. Or at least how I can change it to suit your needs.
By now you should have figured that I got no objections to completey changing it, but I don't know exacty what to change it into.

So you might want to give me some ideas here.

*yes, bogus, cause half the craft you have have the exact same problems,even worse.

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 04, 2008, 08:50:03 am »
The only thing this game needs, i a good concept ( drawing ) artist.
And when the concept is approved, then begin with the modeling
and texturing part.

Otherwise it is much to much work for the modeler to modify the model ( and UV ) again and again.
before the approval is there, and that's frustrating.

Willem

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #273 on: December 04, 2008, 11:33:56 am »
The only thing this game needs, i a good concept ( drawing ) artist.
And when the concept is approved, then begin with the modeling
and texturing part.

Otherwise it is much to much work for the modeler to modify the model ( and UV ) again and again.

Willem

Hey sitters, long time no see! Glad to have you back.

We'd love to have a concept artist to straighten out the visual style beforehand and avoid all this arguing. Unfortunately we don't, and the few 2d artists we do get are also badly needed for the UFOpaedia. We simply don't have the art support we really need to make it all function smoothly, so we just have to struggle on.

Regards,
Winter

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 04, 2008, 12:41:37 pm »
All fine and dandy...but you got to have some idea of what you want.. even a rough description would do.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 04, 2008, 04:09:06 pm »

Offline ghosta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 04, 2008, 05:00:35 pm »
It looks like plastic or modeled o.O

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 04, 2008, 05:32:02 pm »

Not necasarily. Models for UFO:AI aren't complex and only use a single texture, so tweaking them or making multiple version is not a bit problem. Not a lot more than making a sketch at least.

I go no problems with making a concept model(s) (as I did with the Needler) and then tweaking them depending on feedback. But for that to work I need feedback.

So, to get back to the question at hand - what are you looking for Winter? I have a hard time getting a "feel" for Phlanax craft when they don't have nothing in common.
Is there anything I can do to make the StarChaser more to your liking (radical changes included)? Should I start from scratch?

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 04, 2008, 08:55:38 pm »
Hey sitters, long time no see! Glad to have you back.

We'd love to have a concept artist to straighten out the visual style beforehand and avoid all this arguing. Unfortunately we don't, and the few 2d artists we do get are also badly needed for the UFOpaedia. We simply don't have the art support we really need to make it all function smoothly, so we just have to struggle on.

Regards,
Winter

Yea, I am still around, but very busy making models, for the game I am a team member of ( Risen3d ).
I am making a total new monster pack, and animate it also.

I have learn a lot these days, sculpting, normal mapping, bump mapping , animating and more.
Yes mattn I am also animating now. :)

But also have some spare time for making models for UFO:AI ( if needed ).

yea I know the problem, its always difficult to make a model without any concept drawing.
Best way is to make an basic shape and if it is approved, then UV map and texture it.

Willem

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 11:40:28 am by sitters »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 04, 2008, 09:05:58 pm »
New models for UFO:AI are always needed.

A quick job is the Herakles transport which you did before. We're going to need a version of the pod with an interiour added to it for use on tactical maps.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #280 on: December 04, 2008, 09:28:21 pm »
I have learn a lot these days, sculpting, normal mapping, bump mapping , animating and more.
Yes mattn I am also animating now. :)

what - i heard animating??? can you show examples? is this game you are talking about open source, too? or for earning your bred?

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 05, 2008, 08:43:12 am »
what - i heard animating??? can you show examples? is this game you are talking about open source, too? or for earning your bred?

Yea it is open source ( doom2 port ) , I also map for it, here the link

http://risen3d.newdoom.com/

It's not a very big deal, only to make models same as the sprites of the original game.

Everything just as a hobby, not for earning my bred.

@BTaxis :   Yea I remember the pod, I pick it up.  :)

Willem

Edit :  I think for the interior of the pot, best can use separate models like the seats, first aid stuff, some  computer screens, pipes and more of that stuff.

Otherwise you get a giant texture format.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 11:40:45 am by sitters »

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 09, 2008, 12:50:46 pm »
I'll take this silence as "we're not interested for you to work on this"....

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #283 on: December 10, 2008, 08:23:24 am »
sorry TrashMan - you have to convince Winter and BTAxis to get a (storyline-)model included into the game

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 10, 2008, 12:02:31 pm »
I wasn't talking about that Starchaser, I was talking about A starchaser and other veichles in general....