project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Soldier Uniform Colors for new solider models  (Read 12600 times)

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier Uniform Colors for new solider models
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 09:58:37 am »
Actually, theres a techinque called UV Mapping. Im sure you know of it. A map of the UV Texture points is created, usually in a photosop format, and the image is edited there. It wouldnt be an issue to do that and just overlay the camo over the UV map, save, rinse, repeat. If I can get the model into Maya, I can create the UV map in a matter of clicks and save it as something you can open.

Offline PhilRoi

• Rookie
  • EMT and Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 10:26:38 am »
looks good.

as far as being camo that soldiers would never wear.  seems to me that its purely a cosmetic function in the game.  The uniforms have no real impact on game mechanics.

I personally think that being able to give very obviously different colored uniforms to different weapon load outs would be very helpful:
snipers wear green
bean(grenades) tossers wear red
assaulters wear blue
etc....
helps me get a quick idea of where my weapon systems are at quickly.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 07:40:58 pm »
many people do that with the colors already available

Ildamos

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 08:31:12 pm »
Destructavator, can you desaturate the colors a bit? They're too saturated atm and don't look realistic.

Bartleby's camo pic looks more realistic for instance.

If you can desaturate them a bit, I think they'd look great.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 10:32:16 pm »
Destructavator, can you desaturate the colors a bit? They're too saturated atm and don't look realistic.

Bartleby's camo pic looks more realistic for instance.

If you can desaturate them a bit, I think they'd look great.

I know what you're talking about - I apparently forgot (sorry) to explain that the way the colors look in these group square texture pictures are not exactly the same way they will look on the final model and in the game, because of the material baking process I use with some lighting to make the final textures.  When I first did test runs of baking the final texture I went with no lighting, "shadeless," and it didn't turn out as good as now when I use some (subtle) lighting.

When I'm really finished with the soldier models and show some pictures of those, they should look better and have the saturation and other stuff with the colors balanced.  If it turns out they don't look better, I suppose I could go back to "shadeless" and de-saturate all the colors first, as you've said.

I guess it depends on how they turn out when the modeling is finished - I could do more than one verision I guess, I don't claim to be an expert modeler (feel free to lecture me if you think I really should do something different to make it come out better).

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2009, 08:34:30 am »
couldnt u, for example purposes, just slap the camo on the soldier, put it in-game and take a pic? I would voulenteer, but I dont know how and dont have the stuff.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 03:38:52 pm »
Myself I'm really not sure how the end-result in the game would look, and I really don't know how to test it - This would be a question for one of the coders, if there is a way to test-load a model and display it on one of the maps.

Ildamos

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 05:14:47 pm »
When I'm really finished with the soldier models and show some pictures of those, they should look better and have the saturation and other stuff with the colors balanced.

Ah. Ok.

I also started a thread weeks back complaining about the saturation levels  in the 2.3 builds but Mattn hasn't gotten back to me on that one. This got me alarmed about the color scheme the game is taking but your reply put me at ease.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 06:54:58 pm »
I also started a thread weeks back complaining about the saturation levels  in the 2.3 builds...

Yes, I remember that thread, and I've had that issue as well on one of my computers I've run this game on.

Actually, with that brought up, I think the goal with these textures should be to make them so that for the in-game end-result, the colors balance out to match how the other objects, maps, etc. look in the game so that when the global appearance is corrected (as mentioned in that other thread you started), these textures and everything else altogether will look good.  Thanks for mentioning that.

Ildamos

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 06:07:59 pm »
I'm glad that you are with this team. Someone should take care of the color issue so that the devs can concentrate on the coding. More power!

odie

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2009, 07:33:32 am »
Nice work so far, Destructavator.

Dunno if these will help:

1) Military uniforms 1 - More patterns.

2) Wiki already has a huge tons on camo patterns for reference here

3) Camouflauge Theory - This might be helpful in helping to decide the variance of camo for diff terrains, there is a part where it details wat combi for wat terrains, in case u do not understand the geas of it. Its a military sch lesson sorta for commanders, so i am not sure if anyone here else knows.

Point 3 is also good as it can be used for considerations for UGVs (or vehicles on grounds for that matter). [Even artilleries]

4) FYI, even aircrafts has em See here

A little sharing.... anithing more just ask and maybe i can provide more info...