project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Local troops?  (Read 15278 times)

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Local troops?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 11:46:32 am »
Yeah...multiple factions would be nice, but let's not overdo it.

Alltouhg I have to admit that it would be extreemely fun to fight with your allies (local troops) as both of you try to rescue civilians from a massive alien onslaught!

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 02:17:30 am »
My idea was to have armed people (local forces) in the map (If there are people at all), and how the locals react to you is based on the nations relations yo PHALANX. You may be a target before the aliens  ;)

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 12:36:29 pm »
IMHO, there should be the following groups:

- aliens
- PHALANX
- local milita (military personel from the country you're inn)
- civilians
- armed civie resistance?

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 02:52:19 pm »
nono dont make it complex. I think the SIMPLEST thing is to add "police".
This guy could be like an "alien" but he only shoots at other aliens. Such a thing would be quite easy to have implemented in code no? And it would be enough for a start already.

It will at least distract aliens (and he would be stronger than civilians, which often just run around stupidly anyway). He could even carry a very light armour.
And if he dies, we could pick up his weapon and kill aliens hehe

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 09:58:38 pm »
they would be armed with the most basic of human weapons. I dont think they would pick up any other weapon, since they dont know how to use it. But otherwise, yeah. Basic armor, smarter than the average civie, but I still say that how they react to PHALANX troops is based on national favor towards the organization

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 03:40:05 pm »
Yes, they can use simple guns. Just a tiny advantage compared to the helpless civilians that run around like crazy, and a bit armour,
even if it won't help them much anyway hehe

Offline Nevasith

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2008, 11:54:14 pm »
In my opinion it makes absolutely no sense to make any dependencies on nation attitude. Why?
-we still are the same species- fighting for survival with some strange monsters armed with weapons we could not even dream about. You have two targets- a big green guy that has just scorched a mother with child, or a human commando who is trying to kill the grinnie?
-they are not happy with us, but the presence of phalanx on the battlefield can change it - its like "hey look- the phalanx finally realized that we are humans too and they moved their asses to help us!"
As for the equipment they should wield assault rifles/pistols and shotgun like rifles (the police often has such equipment) and a combat armor- its nothing special, some police troops wear it during riot or similar situations

das

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 10:01:03 am »
It would certainly be nice if the troops in the military installation mission were to actually fight back, if incompetently. ;) Ofcourse, you will need more aliens to counter that.

Offline Nevasith

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 08:31:54 pm »
well, to make the neutral troops behaviour natural they should stick together and try to hold position in most cases.

Gaunt

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 05:22:09 am »
I like how the Soldiers in the Military Convoy and Military Base like to stand in every doorway possible or surround my guys so they cant even move.  Not for just one round either...until the mission ends or is restarted.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 05:44:40 am by Gaunt »

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 11:54:37 am »
Yeah...those guys are worse then useless...Hm...I think I figured out why humans were loosing to aliens so badly. Apparently, in the future the military is not allowed to carry weapon off-base. Hence, the unarmed military convoy. I also think the soldiers enlisted in the "living target" course.

das

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 12:06:33 pm »
Frankly they don't seem to carry weapons in-base either. That must be one low budget operation...

I think that line about European military readiness being questioned (in the backstory) is more than justified.

sirg

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 11:37:36 pm »
This is an old idea, but I agree... At least the military in the convoy should fight. I guess this is considered.

ZebTa

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2008, 08:42:17 pm »
It would be really nice to have local troops, it would give to any battlefield a more 'realistic' atmosphere.

In my opinion two different kind should be added:
- militarian for maps related
- police for urbans map.
- none of them in 'lost' places but just civilians or nobody. As it is actually.

Equipping them with standard weapons according to their corp., militarian have frag. grenade, not sure that police does (fumigene or flashbang may be ?).

What I wish to see would be thoses allies doing 'naturally' sometimes boring mistakes : launching grenade or a few bullets while you're not far from/behind target would keep sort of balance about gameplay. Giving thoses troops mostly bad stats (for cops, not really used to fight such a threat; a bit better for militarians then ?) would not make them great help but a little one, sometimes you could hate them, and they would anyway give a more realist touch on battlefield wich is more important point : I rather see dead militarian on attacked convoy map than thoses mushrooms seekers or.. whatever complex task they seems to complete :)

About their placement, hard work I guess ... they basically should join a non-confined placement while moving except if encouter occured. I would say that cops doesn't move but stay hidden waiting for something to shoot at, while militarian would be more aggressive.

Talking about that, interactions with scenes should be improved in this game :
we are not supposed to see aliens seen by civilians but if they could 'scream', run, .. it would add a dramatic atmosphere. Same with a dog model, not a moving one but just a chained one that could growl, etc when spotting an alien (like in any movie yep, while Terminator's getting close). Same with a bird model ?

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2008, 09:09:54 pm »
Hm....then dead miitary members would contribute to how pleased countries are with you?

After all, if in 10 mission in north america territory all milita on the map are killed, that faction would not be entirely pleased. Altouhg that factor (if any) should be low, since killing aliens and preventing civie casualties is the most important factor.