project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Local troops?  (Read 15276 times)

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Local troops?
« on: June 01, 2008, 09:37:16 pm »
One thing I haven't seen so far - it would be nice if you encountered local troops trying to contain aliens, and not only civilians.

Local troops would be be regular soldiers armed with assault rifles and other conventional weapons and they would help you fight aliens (but wouldn't be under your control).

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Local troops?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 10:06:15 pm »
I believe such a suggestion was already brought up once - there are maps where the aliens are invading a military base and drug factory.  Both groups or armed folk don't do much that is interesting.  I think implementing some nice behavior is planned though.

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 11:22:36 pm »
there has been chat about local police trying. and civvies with baseball bats, etc etc

zircher

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 03:05:43 am »
There's also a lot of military on the convoy ambush mission, but right now they are just victims.
--
TAZ

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 11:13:21 am »
This really needs in...Would add flavor...F'course, you might need to increase the number of hostiles on such mission to keep the challenge rating.

Hmm..I've yet to play a base defense mission...do your workers/scientists appear inside the base when you're defending? Do they have some basic weapon (like a pistol?)

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 07:32:17 pm »
i really enjoy this idea....

there was a mission on my last test run of the game involving the ambush of a military convoy.... I was stunned to land on the mission and find 3 unarmed civilians running towards the aliens (another thing i know we already addressed)

Ive never been involved or seen a military convoy that at least SOMEONE wasnt armed with an assault rifle and most with their sidearms...

I like the police and civilians with baseball bats.... however some civilians.. or ex military are heavily armed themselves.. and the aliens might find themselves trying to abduct my old friend  who was a team member for 15 years... needless to say he lives by himself in what i consider an armed fortress that im afraid to knock on the door of sometimes..

However the unknowing aliens would have a not so pleasant surprise after they entered the first door of the entry way .... which reminds me... why isnt there the ability to deploy claymores in missions!!!! :-)

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 12:21:21 am »
Maybe a new rifle is order for use in local militias? You could even have various types of militias?

Asian militias would have Asiatic faces and use uniforms and weapons from their area.
In a similar fashion, a US milita would use something that looks like a M-16.

speaking of which, more faces might be cool...ya know..Agent Chao that doesn't have a pinch of Chinese blood is a bit daft.

Aiki-Knight

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 08:38:17 am »
i really enjoy this idea....

there was a mission on my last test run of the game involving the ambush of a military convoy.... I was stunned to land on the mission and find 3 unarmed civilians running towards the aliens (another thing i know we already addressed)

Ive never been involved or seen a military convoy that at least SOMEONE wasnt armed with an assault rifle and most with their sidearms...

I like the police and civilians with baseball bats.... however some civilians.. or ex military are heavily armed themselves.. and the aliens might find themselves trying to abduct my old friend  who was a team member for 15 years... needless to say he lives by himself in what i consider an armed fortress that im afraid to knock on the door of sometimes..

However the unknowing aliens would have a not so pleasant surprise after they entered the first door of the entry way .... which reminds me... why isnt there the ability to deploy claymores in missions!!!! :-)

Armed police and local military reacting to the aliens would be enough to make it really cool. It seems, from the odd behaviour of unarmed military people, that the developers have already begun something of a unique AI for military people. I read somewhere that these unarmed military people will pick up weapons and use them. We should try it next time we get the chance - toss one a pistol and see what he does.

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 10:44:36 pm »
Maybe a new rifle is order for use in local militias? You could even have various types of militias?

Asian militias would have Asiatic faces and use uniforms and weapons from their area.
In a similar fashion, a US milita would use something that looks like a M-16.

There absolutely won't be any in-game weapons even remotely based on real world weapons.  Besides, i think our generic assault rifle should be fine for them.  At least it wasn't made in the 1940s...  I guess we just have to hope the military team members don't all end up with useless close up weapons like shotguns.

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 10:51:43 pm »
I dunno, a few local rednecks armed with shotguns and an odd hunting rifle might be a force to reckon with when they go after "wife-stealin', cow-mutilatin', fo sho illegal alien fellers"

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 11:36:59 pm »
Ah, the livestock - that's something i miss from Enemy Unknown.

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 12:52:04 am »
there were a few cows on the farms that harversters happened to fall on.  Not sure if we get points for saving the cows.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 01:26:15 am »
You get influence increase with PETA if you do.

Now, seriously, can some code dev shed some more light on this? IT's so cool to fight with allies (and then gaurding them so they don't die)

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 01:35:51 am »
How about incapasitate the aliens, then have to fight back the locals who want to string the critter up on a nearby tree?  On one hand, you need ET, on the other hand, you can't afford to get too confrontational with the locals.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 02:12:16 am »
I dont see where that would be much use. Besides, that would probably have to be very complex