project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: how to make a texture ?  (Read 2531 times)

wiebe

how to make a texture ?
« on: May 27, 2008, 11:15:47 am »
Hi all.

I played the game for a while now and like it lots.
So now I want to contribute something. Saw on wiki you guys need a hand making textures.
Which is probably a simple enough job for a simple man like me. I am looking for something simple because I am not sure that I can contribute a lot of time so I want something that is useful also in small chunks of time.

So how do I do it ? I understand there is a folder with pictures; found the link.. Now do I need a tool to convert an image into a texture ? Or is it a matter of sizing and scaling it right and simply renaming it ? And where do I put the results ?

I am really a newbie: I am still stuck at finding a stable gtkradiant 1.5 for OSX somewhere. So any help is welcome.

cheers,

Wiebe

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: how to make a texture ?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 11:51:05 am »
a texture is just an image file. there are plenty of examples for you to look at.

if you checkout a working copy of the repository

svn co https://ufoai.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ufoai/ufoai/trunk trunk

(more help on svn is on the wiki)

you can see example textures in trunk/base/textures/

If have an installer, you can unpack the pk3 (just copy it somewhere and rename it zip) to see examples. maybe ask on this forum for textures people are wanting.

I am on windows, so cannot help with your mac/gtkr problem. it will be important for you to see how they work on maps.