project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Trouble with configure and jpeg_CreateDecompress  (Read 6163 times)

Offline stevenjackson

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Trouble with configure and jpeg_CreateDecompress
« on: May 23, 2008, 01:30:17 am »
Hi Guys

I've been fine compiling trunk with no problems since i found this project.

But yesterday when i tried compiling it told me i needed to rerun configure, which is fine.

But when i reran configure i now get this message i didn't get before "configure: error: You must have libjpeg!!!"

It seems to be something to do with jpeg_CreateDecompress but i cant figure out what.  Just looking for some pointers on some things i could do to resolve the issue.

I'm using osx leopard and i have tried both  compiling from source the jpeg libraries (along with gettext) and also tried it with fink.  Both recognise the headers but not this jpeg_CreateDecompress issue.

Thanks

Steve

Offline stevenjackson

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with configure and jpeg_CreateDecompress
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 01:52:10 am »
Posted too soon, i figured it out.

Just in case any other mac users have the same problem.  The reason it wasn't working was that universal binary was enabled by default and both the fink and source compiled versions of libjpeg weren't compatible with universal architecture.

I changed the configure script so  that it is disabled by default and it worked!
Might post that configure change as  a patch as perhaps other people will have the same issue.

This post might be better in the mac forum as it turned out to be a mac specific issue.  I'm not sure how to move it there.

Steve

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 02:48:09 am »
I moved it.

Offline tchristney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 07:15:42 am »
The easy way is not to change the configure script but to just run ./configure --disable-universal. It might make sense to change the default option if it is a really big hassle for people.

Offline stevenjackson

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 09:06:23 am »

i've added a patch to patch tracker to make it disabled by default.  As its likely to catch new people out, unless i have just missed the boat completely in figuring out how to load the libjpeg for universal binaries.

As a side note, how do you get the libraries to work for universal compile?

Steve

Offline tchristney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 04:24:32 am »
I think the only known way is to use MacPorts instead of fink. With MacPorts you need to install the libraries with the +universal variant (which works now for all the dependencies.) The configure script is also set up to automatically recognize MacPorts libraries in /opt/local. The principle I was working on is that up until a month ago no one else seemed to want to compile on Mac, so I wanted it set up such that all I need to do is type ./configure in order to prepare a release. I think eventually I'd go nuts if I had to type ./configure CFLAGS="-I/opt/local/include -arch i386 -arch ppc" LDFLAGS="-L/opt/local/lib -arch i386 -arch ppc" every time I had to run configure. ;D

Offline stevenjackson

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 08:23:16 am »

I'm glad someone else who is more knows more than me about mac builds is around.

I'm a developer by profession but mostly on linux and windows.  I'm a complete newbie to mac development and builds.
Which is probably why i had problems with the configure.

But i'm slowly learning, i might try and install mac ports and see if i can do the universal build.

Thanks

Steve

doc.torr

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 03:39:46 am »
oh, didn't see this post. Might explain a few things I've been seeing (intel mac)