project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: How many people can my base support?  (Read 6144 times)

Offline keybounce

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
How many people can my base support?
« on: May 21, 2008, 08:20:24 am »
Old XCom had a nice base summary screen that would give you at a glance info on your base, including how many people could be housed there, how many engineers/scientists were busy, etc.

I can't find anything like that.

What I did find is that my starting base has 10 engineers, 10 scientists, and 8 soldiers, with only one living quarters that is documented as supporting only 20 people.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: How many people can my base support?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 12:51:21 pm »
We do have a base summary view, but I think it might be disabled in 2.2.1 because it's buggy. I'm not sure here.

Offline Chriswriter90

• Squad Leader
  • Zilla Response Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 12:00:08 am »
20 people per Living Quarters, which is dismal compared to x-com's 40 per LQ

Perhaps it could be increased to 25 maybe?

Offline ghosta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 12:12:04 am »
20 people per Living Quarters, which is dismal compared to x-com's 40 per LQ

Perhaps it could be increased to 25 maybe?

I guess you can't just see this problem being not connected to other parameters. You have to balance the capacity of your quarters with the amount of people fighting in your missions, scientists working on project... In x-com u had 14 or 16 slots in your Skyranger. Your labs were big enough for 50 scientists and so on.

But I have to admit, that I miss the increased amount of soldiers fighting your ground missions. You didn't have to be THAT attentive to your soldiers.

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 12:22:24 am »
8 is OK with me, since the maps (at least early ones) tend to be smaller than those in X-COM.  I am somewhat concerned for the eventual implementation for HWP-s, however - even if we only trade soldier for 1 shooting robot, it will likely be a loss of versitility.  If we have to trade 2 to 1 or 4 to 1 like in X-COM - they better be some kick arse terminator types. 

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 06:38:48 am »
I guess you can't just see this problem being not connected to other parameters. You have to balance the capacity of your quarters with the amount of people fighting in your missions, scientists working on project... In x-com u had 14 or 16 slots in your Skyranger. Your labs were big enough for 50 scientists and so on.

But I have to admit, that I miss the increased amount of soldiers fighting your ground missions. You didn't have to be THAT attentive to your soldiers.

yeah well i need 14 to 16 guys if i want less than 50% casualties in the higher difficulty levels..

I do not like that the transport vehicles only allow you 8 soldiers.. id vote that be changed myself... i love sending teams of dozen or more (wo)men into ufo bases..

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 06:02:53 pm »
Darkpriest - you know, you are probably right.  If I had to take an X-COM-sized base with 8 soldiers, it would be damn tough.  My "doctrine" calls for 4 guys just to enter the command center.  With lots of others watching their backs and the approaches on account of blaster launcher fire.

Aiki-Knight

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 10:55:52 am »
yeah well i need 14 to 16 guys if i want less than 50% casualties in the higher difficulty levels..

I do not like that the transport vehicles only allow you 8 soldiers.. id vote that be changed myself... i love sending teams of dozen or more (wo)men into ufo bases..

In XCOM3, I usually sent 16 agents once I had the resources, but then again, special forces units tend to operate in small groups. I imagine changing the max number of agents is too much to ask at this point, and I'm really getting into the 8-man squad idea.

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 06:20:00 pm »
It is all about balance (maps, weapons, objectives) and so far - it is AWESOME!

Captain Bipto

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 08:06:52 pm »
Old XCom had a nice base summary screen that would give you at a glance info on your base, including how many people could be housed there, how many engineers/scientists were busy, etc.

I can't find anything like that.

What I did find is that my starting base has 10 engineers, 10 scientists, and 8 soldiers, with only one living quarters that is documented as supporting only 20 people.

this summary function is in the 2.3 dev version, donno if it will make svn cos I ain't a dev just a lonely banjo playing soul watching the history channel.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 08:16:55 pm »
What do you mean, "make svn"? The dev version is a svn snapshot.