project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: interceptor weapons  (Read 11906 times)

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
interceptor weapons
« on: May 20, 2008, 10:14:18 am »
The early combo of interceptor weapons that appears to work is a couple of ships with lots of SHIVA cannons and T20 pods, maybe an odd AA missile rack.  Is there something better, alien-based in the future?  Is it worth sprinting for?

Captain Bipto

Re: interceptor weapons
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 12:50:07 pm »
The early combo of interceptor weapons that appears to work is a couple of ships with lots of SHIVA cannons and T20 pods, maybe an odd AA missile rack.  Is there something better, alien-based in the future?  Is it worth sprinting for?

Here is a story for you...

Mr. President (El Presidente/Prime Minister/Mr. Minister [Chinese communist/nazi bastard])

Our air force that is designed to shoot down terrestrial threats managed to shoot down an extraterrestrial object! DAMN we are bad arse!!!!

Shak

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 04:00:48 pm »
AA missle racks all the way, attach as many as you can grab/make/steal ;D

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 04:14:33 am »
AA missle racks all the way, attach as many as you can grab/make/steal ;D

rehehehe-eally?  Judging by the description and some posts, that was the looser of the bunch, at best a third craft, support...   I think I am sticking with my pods and cannons for now

Shak

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 08:40:38 pm »
I was getting too many Interceptors shot down when I used the shorter range aircraft weapons, keeping the enemy at a distance works for me  :D 

cant wait until i get some ammo for those particle beam weapons though  ;D

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 09:59:02 pm »
ah, so we *do* get some cooler toys eventually!  sa-weeet!

zircher

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 01:09:42 am »
Actually, I find the longer range Sparrow to be the most 'survivable' of the weapon systems.  Often I'll do a fire and forget attack where I close on an enemy ship and fire, and then before the enemy retaliates I order the interceptor back to the base.

Compared to losing interecptors, missiles are cheap.  I'd rather throw some missiles at the enemy and see if one of them gets lucky.
--
TAZ

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 10:08:25 am »
Thanks, guys!  Something to consider.

Any thoughts on later interceptors - what are your loadouts?  Do you use the particle beams?

Offline EchizenR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 01:05:15 pm »
Wait, you mean we can order the Saracen or Silhoulette to fire missiles? I thought they will just move towards the UFO until one gets killed. For intercepts I have 2 saracens equipped with 2 SHIVA cannons, armour, ECM and targetting computer, after firing an AA missile from my base (Yeah, I let the UFO come in close, that way, my Firebird doesn't have to travel far) and it works most of the time. However, occasionally, one of them gets shot down and I have to buy another one complete with accessories.

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 05:20:21 pm »
Well, you can't directly order an interceptor when to fire - missile or otherwise.  If you equip your craft with Sparrowhawks instead of Shivas, you'll find you can fire back from much further away.  Just make sure to keep a stockpile of missiles at the base, otherwise your interceptors are likely to take off with their missile bays empty.

JerryLove

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 05:43:35 pm »
I'm near the end of year 1. I've never found ammo for those particle-whatever guns for the ships, and never got a laser. Anyone know what the holdup of implamenting these is? There can't be a major asset problem with ammo can there?

Surrealistik

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 05:55:05 am »
Pro tip: Draw aggro with your final interceptor or firebird, as soon as your first jets get within their target's weapon range. The ufo will then try to close on the last ship while soaking all sorts of damage from your other interceptors without returning any fire whatsoever.

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 01:54:14 am »
I am not sure if many things changed last time I tried the decent game here (i guess it was two or three months), but after I lost a few ships I tried to always opt for the weapon with the biggest range. I simply dont like to risk losing too many ships :-)

Offline Mayhem

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 10:29:25 am »
In my current 2.3 campaign, there is a bug preventing me from fully loading up my Stilletoes.

But my standard tactic of launching one Saracen (with armour and 2 ECMs, plus at least one missile launcher and either a 2nd ML or a rocket pod)) and 2 Stilletoes (no armor, no ecm, 1 targeting computer, I shiva in the nose, one ML) still gets me reliable kills.

As long as I don't let the saracen get too far ahead, that is.  Sometimes it wins one-on-one but its a lot more reliable if the two stilletoes are creeping nto ML range as the saracen 1st gets the UFOs attention.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 04:04:46 pm »
Stilleto with 3 Shiva cannons and 2 ECM's (or 2 Targeting comps). Works for me.
And another one with 3 Sparowhawk missiles.

The trick is to have one draw the UFO's attention while the other one hits it with everything.
I prefer the missile interceptor for a diversion - once safely in range 3 shiva cannons tear UFO's apart like there's no tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 10:21:18 pm by TrashMan »