project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Weapons (again) ;)  (Read 3944 times)

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Weapons (again) ;)
« on: May 13, 2008, 03:46:30 pm »
Is there any chance that some weapons will be rebalanced?

I find that I completely avoid a few weapons, mostly because there are other weapons
available that do the job. Take the shotgun. Normally in games it is a very effective
weapon, but in UFO:AI the shotgun is basically useless. The submachine gun has
many more shots. Or take the pistol. For being so light, it also is of less use compared
to the submachine gun.

I am fine with flame thrower, it is at least a fun weapon and no other weapon can
do what the flame thrower does (though grenade thrower can be effective too
against multiple targets, but so can the bazooka)

What I am also unhappy with is the machine gun. Maybe the submachine gun
is just too good and should be downgraded, but I would rather see slight
upgrades for other weapons.
I thus make a slight proposal:

- Machine gun should fire more bullets than it currently does
- Pistol should have a lower TU use
- shotgun: should basically kill everything in close range ;) (i am kidding here... it should do a
LOT of damage in close range IMHO though.)
- sniper rifle: any chance that the TU could be reduced a bit? I find that my sniper guy
is less effective than a group of submachine gun guys, simply because the sniper
guy cant shoot twice anyway, and can hardly move AND shoot either.

Hmm my 2 cc (and i left out melee weapons hehe)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Weapons (again) ;)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 04:32:07 pm »
Is there any chance that some weapons will be rebalanced?

Yes. There is a 100% chance of this. Of course, whether the rebalancing will be exactly what you have in mind remains to be seen. As with any balancing issue, you can't please everyone.

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 04:47:50 pm »
some weapon values have been yoyoing a bit.

I suggest that any tweaks made are small, less than you think is required. On the basis that they can be tweaked some more if necessary.

I think that, on the whole, they are pretty good now.

For example, shotguns are for shooting wildfowl. They are no good against armour.

Captain Bipto

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 01:49:31 am »
some weapon values have been yoyoing a bit.

I suggest that any tweaks made are small, less than you think is required. On the basis that they can be tweaked some more if necessary.

I think that, on the whole, they are pretty good now.

For example, shotguns are for shooting wildfowl. They are no good against armour.

Really the use of a shotgun depends on what shot you are loading.  I'd rather not get shot with a tungsten penetrator from a 12ga. or even a roughly .72 caliber slug.  I am gonna give the shotty a second chance when 2.3 is released officially.

If any tweaks are made to the lasers, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE at least do not reduce their accuracy or range.

Offline Judge

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 07:34:11 am »
I don't think the sniper rifle is too TU consuming. I mean, think about the careful aim and prescision needed to actually hit with those things. And if it's too far away to reach, i just send the sniper up closer looking at the target with reaction fire set and crouched, it'll usually hit.

Offline Nevasith

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 06:56:40 pm »
You cant satisfy everyone with the weapon balancing- maybe a configuration file would be a solution here- like weapons.conf or something like 2da files in biowara infinity engine, where you coud edit some aspects of the game.
here I mean constructing a file, that the game would check to read the parameters of weapons.
Such a file should be rather simple, like

//flame thrower
weapon_reference
dmg  xxx
range xxx
clip drain xxx
accuracy
firing modes

And other parameters, so everyone would be able to simply adjust weapons to his liking. Moreover people would share their files helping to quickly rebalance the game

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 07:05:23 pm »
This exists, and is called weapons*.ufo. See base/ufos.