project-navigation
Personal tools

Poll

What melee weapons do your soldiers carry?

None
33 (66%)
Combat Knife
3 (6%)
Kerrblade
2 (4%)
Monomolecular Knife
3 (6%)
Plasma Blade
9 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Blades  (Read 27692 times)

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Blades
« on: April 15, 2008, 05:33:33 am »
It is interesting to me to see if anybody uses the blades that are too big to fit in a holster or on the belt...

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Blades
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 01:17:32 pm »
i have used the combat knife in multiplayer. mainly for comedy value.

the knives are useful in that they do not require many TU. Pistols are in a similar category, so I am more likey to carry a pistol as a reserve weapon, as it has the advantage of working at a slight distance.

use of knives would mean failure to pack enough ammo

bobbens

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 07:36:34 pm »
I think he's referring to the 3 vertical space monomolecular blades.  Personally I haven't used them, not even as secondary because you can't put in the holster.  I really think it should get turned to use only 3 horizontal squares.  You'll be able to use it in the belt and holster then, actually increasing the chance someone will use it.  Melee is pretty hard to pull off too, I only melee with stunrods for capturing aliens.  I have no idea how to modify it so they take up 3 horizontal squares though.

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 07:35:45 am »
I think he's referring to the 3 vertical space monomolecular blades.

That is exactly what i'm after here.  The fact that the only place to put it is in hand or in the pack means it is that much less likely to even be brought.  As to the Kerrblade, forget it.  The only way to carry is in hand, which then means you can't bring carry a primary firearm...

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 04:36:36 pm »
Kerrblade of course is too big to pack it somewhere, but it would be fun to see special holster
on the leg or somewhere to place a knife inside.

Come to think about it, I would like to punch or soccer-kick those alien dudes :)

Offline Redtide

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 04:40:33 pm »
What about the plasma blade? I have noticed that even after I researched it I still can't see the stats for plasma blades. Are they better than the monomolecular knives?

Offline Telok

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 05:59:44 pm »
I used to equip soldiers with a combat knife very early on when I first started playing. One guy even got a kill with it once.

Later I moved on to using machine pistols as back-up weapons for the troops. The other blades simply didn't fit in the belt or holster, a requirement for a low TU last resort.

These days I'm simply playing it safe, without any blades. Covering fire, crouching, reaction fire, using two or four man groups, and lots of grenades.

I've found it safer to cover a doorway with a SMG or sniper while the grenadier lobs some explosives. Rather than send someone in and come face to face with a greeny and only 7 TUs left.

bobbens

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 07:46:01 pm »
Well you can use your passive coverfire technique atm, but once the engine is prepared for more complicated missions (attack/defend/turn limit/etc...) you'll have issues.  Reactionfire has gotten nerfed and is a lot less reliable and more expensive in 2.3 too, so it won't be as effective as before.  Personally flushing out aliens with flamethrowers while covering flanks with snipers/machine gunners is what I find most effective.  Also keeping a medic for support.  You just have to divide your team into two subteams and divide the map into "logical blocks" - divide and conquer.

knightsubzero

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 05:05:23 am »
i have special troops setup to use it, kerblade in one hand pistol in the other, or pistol in the holster, you can still carry grenades and stuff.

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 07:01:39 pm »
What about the plasma blade? I have noticed that even after I researched it I still can't see the stats for plasma blades. Are they better than the monomolecular knives?

The monoknife does 140 damage on a Slash, using 12 TU.  Plasblade does 300 on a Lock, using 7 TU.  Really the only downside to the Plasma Blade is that you'd better not need it twice, as it's disposable.  Hmm, maybe i should have included it in the survey...

Offline Redtide

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 05:14:02 pm »
The monoknife does 140 damage on a Slash, using 12 TU.  Plasblade does 300 on a Lock, using 7 TU.  Really the only downside to the Plasma Blade is that you'd better not need it twice, as it's disposable.  Hmm, maybe i should have included it in the survey...

I thought it was better I just didn't know the exact stats. I use plasma blades only cause I have a crap load of them and they fit in the same space as a knife. I don't need it more than once so the fact that it is disposable doesn't really affect me. I think it should be included in the poll.

Captain Bipto

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 02:11:51 am »
I am thinking about equipping some dudes with kerr blades and one of the alien pistols probably particle ones.  Just wait till they implement the heavier armors, I bet that combo would actually be feasibly (assuming the armor doesn't slow dude down). 

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 11:57:27 pm »
I really think it should get turned to use only 3 horizontal squares.  You'll be able to use it in the belt and holster then, actually increasing the chance someone will use it.  Melee is pretty hard to pull off too, I only melee with stunrods for capturing aliens.  I have no idea how to modify it so they take up 3 horizontal squares though.

I seem to recall one of the .ufo files containing the data that the game reads to know what size and shape items are, although I might be mistaken. The .ufo files also contain data for weapons stats, base building stats, and all kinds of stuff.  (They can be opened and edited with a text editor.)

What I personally don't know is how to rotate the model so it would look right in the game.

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 11:07:21 pm »
At a risk of going against public opinion...  I do not tend to use close quarter weapons at all.  I figure, my advantages are concentrating fire and killing from afar.  Getting up close and personal reacks of trading injuries, which apears to be a looser.

I suppose I should work on a tactic of sneaking up close and hitting first...  But then a machine gun works darn well through windows and doorways, AND halfway across the map. 

Am I missing some major point of blades?

Captain Bipto

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 07:54:56 am »
At a risk of going against public opinion...  I do not tend to use close quarter weapons at all.  I figure, my advantages are concentrating fire and killing from afar.  Getting up close and personal reacks of trading injuries, which apears to be a looser.

I suppose I should work on a tactic of sneaking up close and hitting first...  But then a machine gun works darn well through windows and doorways, AND halfway across the map. 

Am I missing some major point of blades?

I feel you man, I certainly do not use close quarter weapons now except the stun rod which I hate doing but need to to get gas grenades.  I don't think hand to hand as a regular tactic would really be feasible until the humies get the nastier armors that are supposed to be implemented in the game.  Other than that, close quarter combat would probably play a lot like clearing a room with close weapons:
1.) spot alien
2.) Flashbang alien
3.) rush in and dissect the bugger

In open ground close quarters would be dumb, just like in real life.