project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: New Campaign Q's  (Read 4534 times)

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
New Campaign Q's
« on: April 11, 2008, 01:08:32 am »
Okeh, i finally got 2.3 to hold together long enough to get through a mission.  There are two issues that concerned me enough to ask:

1) As soon as i built my home base i immediately started construction on a Small UFO Hangar.  A few hours before it gets completed i get the Farm mission [the one with the landed Scout].  The mission was fairly rough [it seems i had forgotten to equip armor], but i got through it ... and was forced to sell the Scout.  To add insult to injury, the hangar was completed before my Firebird got home.  On the bright side, the money from the sale of the Scout enabled me to go on a base building spree.   :o  So if campaigns are not going to start with a UFO hangar, can we please put a delay on the Farm mission until two weeks into the campaign?

2) One of the farmer's daughters killed two of my men with a Plasma Pistol and was later seen with a Plasma Rifle when i put her down.  I know from other threads in the forum that we don't have psi control, so to what do i attribute her aggressiveness?  Is this a really early XVI infection?

knightsubzero

Re: New Campaign Q's
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 06:00:22 am »
pms

Offline kracken

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 11:56:10 am »
and was forced to sell the Scout.
I just tested, and it seems to work fine here. Are you sure you UFO hangar wasn't full already ? Please check in the 'Base summary' menu (you should see 0/1 in front of Small UFO hangar if it's empty)

So if campaigns are not going to start with a UFO hangar, can we please put a delay on the Farm mission until two weeks into the campaign?
Don't worry, you're going to have far more UFO available in 2.3 than in 2.2 :) . Even if you can't get this UFO, you'll have other missions to collect a UFO scout.

2) Is this a really early XVI infection?
No, AFAIK missions with human enemy is not implemented yet. This is a bug. That would be nice if you could open a bug tracker with a savegame allowing to reproduce this bug (if it's reproducable).

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 02:37:43 pm »

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 02:44:58 pm »
I just tested, and it seems to work fine here. Are you sure you UFO hangar wasn't full already ? Please check in the 'Base summary' menu (you should see 0/1 in front of Small UFO hangar if it's empty)
<snip>
No, AFAIK missions with human enemy is not implemented yet. This is a bug. That would be nice if you could open a bug tracker with a savegame allowing to reproduce this bug (if it's reproducable).

Point 1: When i start a new campaign in 2.3, there is no UFO hangar until i build one.  Are you saying you start with one?

Point 2: Would it be better to attach the savegame pre-mission or post-mission?

Offline kracken

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 03:49:18 pm »
Point 1: When i start a new campaign in 2.3, there is no UFO hangar until i build one.  Are you saying you start with one?
No, I started a game, built a Small UFO Hangar (mind that a UFO Scout only fits in a Small UFO Hangar, not in a large one), wait the end of hangar construction, wait for a mission, go to mission, win, and recovered the UFO. After that, base summary menu indicated that my small UFO hangar capacity was 1/1.

Point 2: Would it be better to attach the savegame pre-mission or post-mission?
pre-mission please, I need to be able to reproduce the bug, fix it, and see if the fix worked :) . Post mission savegames are too late.

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 04:08:38 pm »
No, I started a game, built a Small UFO Hangar (mind that a UFO Scout only fits in a Small UFO Hangar, not in a large one), wait the end of hangar construction, wait for a mission, go to mission, win, and recovered the UFO. After that, base summary menu indicated that my small UFO hangar capacity was 1/1.

Aye, there's the rub.  My mission popped up before the hangar was built.  I suppose i could have waited until construction was complete, but it didn't feel right.  There's always a chance the mission will expire as failed, right?

pre-mission please, I need to be able to reproduce the bug, fix it, and see if the fix worked :) . Post mission savegames are too late.

Will be done! Tracker item # 1940260.

If i may go off on a tangent, i noticed my men took no reaction fire against her.  Is it the case that PHALANX troops will never use RF against infected humans that are killing us?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 07:10:20 pm by Doctor J »

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 04:49:00 am »
@ kracken: You were right.  After this weekend's 'svn up' i reloaded my post-mission save game and was immediately presented with "Proposal: Enemy On Earth".  Mind you, i haven't even complete the "Continuous Wave Laser Operation" research yet.

Robbos

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 04:17:05 am »
You mean ufos just don't randomly land?

i mean, i noticed terror missions just randomly popped up but i think this is a bit... farked up that missions just appear and you have no chance to stop the UFO thats going to cause them. In the original XCOM,battlescape combat was a punishment for you not killing the UFO.

This probably isint the place to bring this up. but blah; i liked the originals open endedness that didn't force you to a timeline; just forced you to get strong enough to stop the aliens.

Especially because starting interceptors are so weak that they cannot down anything above a supply ship or scout, that limits your missions quite alot.

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 05:43:40 am »
You mean ufos just don't randomly land?

No.  Landings are totally separate from crashings, and proceed according to a plot/timeline.

Especially because starting interceptors are so weak that they cannot down anything above a supply ship or scout, that limits your missions quite alot.

This has been discussed quite a bit in the forums.  To summarize, the Stiletto can do the job against Harvesters decently well when equipped properly.  The first thing that you need to do is scrap all those useless rockets and cannons and go all missiles, all the time.  In the dev version, your initial interceptor is now equipped like that.  Secondly, each interceptor needs to have both an ECM pod and a Targeting Computer.  After you've done that i think you'll find the Stiletto more or less equivalent to a Harvester.