project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Ideas for new technologies  (Read 14939 times)

Panthera Leo

Re: Ideas for new technologies
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 09:40:09 pm »
I was going to suggest a human-alien hybrid tech to give the Lasers a boost(unlimited/recharging ammo). I guess I could turn it around. Being the nerd I am, I dug up a old read on Tokamaks. We can't get it to work yet for a lack of knowledge working with plasma... The Aliens demonstrated a intimate knowledge of the subject.

If I remember correctly they're coming here for hosts, and new ideas. Why not turn the tables, say they see what we've been doing, and turn around and reinvent our technology. Some time after we've deploy lasers, and they deploy partical weapons, have them roll out a super laser. They look at our lasers, and seeing it's a good idea, but we don't have the power to get it to work well. They do, they turn around replace the D-F carriage with something alien. Repaint the weapons blue, maybe tweak the model a little.

It is just a modification of our existing design so a supper stat boost isn't needed. Just turn around and say they made it more durable with local materials, and made the chemical laser a conventional one, and gave it a more powerful recharging power source, a mini-Tokamak. That way whatever changes given could be balanced by saying the new ammo type, wile recharging, burns out and cools off weather it's used or not after a few hours once started(a mission.).

Seeing the Aliens increased strength, maybe make a Alien laser cannon, only slightly less powerful then our craft mounted version, but man usesable. Able to cut a large swatch of destruction at range, but using the same power cell as the lesser versions. Using so much power to fire from a cell designed for something smaller, it has to recharge over a turn or two to fire again.

Edit:

Something else I forgot, Alien chemical grenades. Moddling, which I can't do right now(Doh!) wouldn't be more then a clear ball that splatters. They seem to like high energy physics, but what about chemical warfare? Why not a corrosive that is oxygen activated that sticks and super heats them.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 09:56:42 pm by Panthera Leo »

Captain Bipto

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2008, 12:08:24 am »

Yeah how about Gas Grenades that can be used with the Grenade Launcher?

Abhoras

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2008, 06:07:30 pm »
I don't want to put a wet blanket over this whole discussion, but I think your time would be better spent trying to come up with more alien weapons. The human arsenal is quite large enough as it is.

I agree. And what is needed is not just another plasma/particle weapon (we have p. pistol, p. gun, p. cannon, p. grenade, p. blade, p. cigar lighter and p. depilatory, lets make some more plasma). We need some new weapon principal ideas. I came up with two. If anyone of you is familiar with them, yes I stole them ::)

Fusion gun
   The principal of this gun is subatomic thermal excitation of its target. It fires no projectile in any way (solid slug or plasma) just focused beam of subatomic energy that is invisible to human eye. But if the beam is invisible, its passing is not. Particles of atmosphere are excitated to such energetic levels where they emit very intense radiation, even visible light. This is coupled with a hissing sound. Upon contact, the same happens with the target, which can be heated to several thousands of degrees. This leads to armoured targets being literally melted and evaporated, while living tissue is just burned. This has earned the gun its nickname meltagun or cooker. Despite its high power against vehicles and highly armoured targets, this weapon is very limited in its range due to the dissipation of the beam when passing through the atmosphere.

Induction gun
   This weapon is basically a linear asynchronous induction generator. The way it works is unique among weapons previously encountered. It doesn't fire any form of solid projectile or energetic beam. Rather, the target is pulled into the gun. This is achieved by inducing strong magnetic dipoles in the particles of the target, and subsequent "switching of polarity" in the gun. The target is then gradually stripped to its constituent atoms, which are puled into the gun by strong magnetic force. What is most horrifying about this weapon is the speed of the whole process. It can chew thought living tissue, armour, even ferrocrete and all that within seconds. As such, body armour offers virtually no protection against this weapon, as it would just slow down the process by milliseconds.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 06:24:35 pm by Abhoras »

Captain Bipto

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2008, 01:39:49 am »
I think its awesome that this forum provides so much exercise for everyones' imagination. Here are some of my weapon ideas. I think the aliens (unless the background forbids it) would use alien analogues of human weapons such as grenade launchers, missile launchers, and the flame thrower.

1.Launcher weapons:  If an alien grenade launcher sounds weird (your weird!) then how about a rocket/missile launcher?

2.Grenades/Explosives: The aliens would probably have gas weapons of their own.  What would be really sick would be a gas grenade/rocket/shell that acted as smoke and was dangerous to walk through as well basically an area denial weapon like the incendiary weapons. 

3.Sprayers: Or if not gas weapons, biological weapons such as chemical sprayers, virus grenades, that sort of thing.  No I don't mean killer water pistols!

Offline Judge

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2008, 07:46:40 am »
They say that some things can affect emotions, like perfumes can make you happy or dog poop makes you feel sick. How about a weapon that deals morale damage? I've only had my men lose morale once, but i can say it was pretty devastating, and it's much more frightening to me then (Gasp) another plasma cannon. Although hearing or seeing particle weapons makes me grimace. (AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH PARTICLE WEAPONS RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!)
Back to the point. Perhaps a sound emitter, kind of like a dog whistle that damages morale, or something along that line?
Also, The really heavy armors use servos to allow movement right? So what about maybe an EMP bomb of some sort that disables servos. The alien would be pretty much incapacitated.
And definitely, I think it's pretty obvious that the gas grenade should be put on the grenade launcher because IT IS AWESOME!
Seriously though, i've set up all my men to carry gas grenades and one other, because most gas grenades knock them out the first time, and if you screw up, it's not like the guy's dead, it's just he's out of the way. I use them if i can't get my guy healed, i just gas myself to save him if i really like his stats.

brainy19

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2008, 08:19:39 am »
How about an ion weapon, a combination of laser and plasma technology?

Offline ponkan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2008, 05:49:48 am »
Ion weapon would be the particle tech tree. Ions = charged particles.

knightsubzero

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2008, 05:39:20 am »
how about a disk launcher like in tribes....for an alien grenaded launcher.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2008, 12:46:27 pm »
Disc launcher has been suggested and rejected before.

Captain Bipto

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2008, 07:57:14 am »
How about mini missile launchers?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2008, 11:06:13 am »
We've already got the RPG launcher, and we might well get an upgrade for it.

No waypoint-guided stuff, though.

Captain Bipto

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2008, 12:37:17 pm »
We've already got the RPG launcher, and we might well get an upgrade for it.

No waypoint-guided stuff, though.

Upgrade that biatch to a mini rocket/missile launcher yo!!