project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Ideas for new technologies  (Read 14943 times)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for new technologies
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 10:38:48 pm »
BTW: If there was the OICW insteat of 4 other weapons, this would have saved coding, modeling...  ;)

Than this issue is simply a question of priorities?

Quite a lot of the weapons we use now were done before mattn even took over the project (i.e. before the "death" of the first project). After that we got some new models, but not nearly as many as we had already. Don't think we just conjure these things out of our hats.

It's really a question of manpower, combined with the dev team's opinions. If there are people willing to make a model for their idea, then they have a shot at getting it included in the game. It is still subject to approval, and maybe the idea needs to be changed in some ways to fit in, but we're not really in a position to turn down art.

What is happening in this thread, though, is people throwing up lots of different ideas, and then looking at the devs, expecting them to make it happen. That tends not to work. We have enough ahead of us as it is, including modeling work.

brainy19

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 03:34:50 am »
One type of "projectile" I haven't seen much of is a gun that shoots electricity.  You want a fearsome alien weapon?  A gun that shoots electricity and reflects to the surrounding soldiers, damaging multiple soldiers.

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 08:06:48 am »
A gun that shoots electricity and reflects to the surrounding soldiers, damaging multiple soldiers.

The reflection would have to relatively short ranged, right?  Like it wouldn't work if the soldiers weren't adjacent to each other??

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 08:43:03 am »
@ BTAxis: is it okay if we 'brainstorm' together without the demand that you implement it for us?  If one of us users gets excited enough about some of these ideas, it might motivate us to create the necessary graphics/sounds/scripts... 

From the perspective of the player, it is okeh to have the most efficient tools for the job when the mood is serious.  There might be times, however, when we might be willing to forgo the standard loadout for something unusual or 'fun'.  Swords, anyone http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=2230.15?  Therefore, there really is no such thing as too many weapons on the human side.  The only issue here is whether a particular weapon is exciting enough to be used sometimes.  If there is no interest in using it, THEN there's no point in including it.  In either case, i wouldn't expect you to do more than take what we create and patch it in.

So in that spirit, let me offer another trial balloon: a bullet that has been variously called an Accelerator or GyRoc.  The idea is that these large caliber bullets have a built in rocket motor.  Therefore the primer would be much smaller than normal for minimal recoil.  After leaving the barrel, the rocket causes the round to accelerate until impact or burnout.  This would allow an Accelerator pistol or SMG to comfortably fire a 15 mm round which could in turn have a payload such as armor piercing or HE.  An Accelerator rifle or MG could have a 20 mm round.  The limitations would be weight and a somewhat lower accuracy.  Plus i haven't yet decided whether this should belong in a new tech tree, or have it branch off something existing [Bolter, again?].

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 09:42:12 am »
So in that spirit, let me offer another trial balloon: a bullet that has been variously called an Accelerator or GyRoc.  The idea is that these large caliber bullets have a built in rocket motor.  Therefore the primer would be much smaller than normal for minimal recoil.  After leaving the barrel, the rocket causes the round to accelerate until impact or burnout.  This would allow an Accelerator pistol or SMG to comfortably fire a 15 mm round which could in turn have a payload such as armor piercing or HE.  An Accelerator rifle or MG could have a 20 mm round.  The limitations would be weight and a somewhat lower accuracy.  Plus i haven't yet decided whether this should belong in a new tech tree, or have it branch off something existing [Bolter, again?].
I've suggested something similar, even made a draft model for such :-) (btw, it was my first experience with Wings 3D):
http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=2242.0

Serrax

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 11:12:43 am »
@Zorlen:

Great work!

May I suggest this: Install the ammo-clip under the weapon, or under/in the stock. Similar to the HK XM25 - which has exactly the same function - but using grenades instead of rockets.

@Doctor J:

Quote from: Doctor J
Plus i haven't yet decided whether this should belong in a new tech tree, or have it branch off something existing [Bolter, again?].
Maybe: "Smart weapons"?

cu

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 02:40:31 pm »
I've suggested something similar, even made a draft model for such :-) (btw, it was my first experience with Wings 3D):
http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=2242.0

Cool!  Great minds think alike.   8)  I like the box magazine version for a human weapon.  But, mattheus in the other thread had an interesting idea.  If we call it an alien technology and make the model more rounded and bulgy, we could make BTAxis happy along with having new toys for us!

So here's my idea for a tech tree: Rocket Carbine leads to Rocket Pistol and Rocket MG.  Both the pistol and MG researched allow for research of the Rocket SMG.

I will go further to suggest that the 15 mm ammo have the HE and sabot tips, while the 20 mm rounds could have those as well as a gas round and/or a Stingray [highly charged capacitor which shocks the target].

brainy19

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 09:34:11 am »
Can you suggest this to someone who knows who how model?  Or if you know someone who does model, introduce them to this game and get more modelers in  :)

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 12:41:58 am »
Actually, i've already downloaded Blender3D and will be giving it a whirl.  First time for me, so don't hold your breath...

brainy19

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 09:26:12 am »
Blender3D huh?  I'll download that and give it a shot too.

Offline MunkyFish

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 01:45:07 pm »
ok so just an idea

during research on the alien astro-navigation unit scientists came across head gear that is used as an interface to assist the pilot during flight, after some tampering and reverse engineering the same scientists realized that they could tune the head gear in to the same signal used by the spy satellites of the late 20th century as these satellites are so old the alien threat has ignored them. solders in the filed can use this headgear (at the cost of the astro-navigation unit) to see all units on the field of battle as long as they are in the open (old satellites cannot see underground or inside building)

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 06:46:32 am »
That is an interesting idea, but i don't think it will ever make it into the game.  The whole basis of the game is horror and suspense.  The more you can see, the less suspense there is.  The only way to balance it would be to make it ridiculously expensive in credits or work hours.

AT4

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 03:18:04 am »
HOW BOUT AN EMP?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Captain Bipto

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 11:00:37 am »
So you have IR visors that can help detect enemies but according to the description will penalize your accuracy, how about including targeting goggles? Have them give you an accuracy bump at the cost of extra TU per shot?