project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: About Antarctica colonies (population)?  (Read 42797 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
About Antarctica colonies (population)?
« on: March 29, 2008, 07:53:14 pm »
I did a search in the forum and didn't find any discussion about this - In the game, what is the status of the population of the colonies in Antarctica?

In present-day real life, there is a population down there, colonized with people from various nations, complete with telephones and even children who go to school in some parts.  Right now, none of these colonies (to my knowledge) are self-sufficient, with everything having to be flown in by aircraft, although I've heard about plans to build structures down there that use solar and other power that people could live in.

In the future and game setting, has the population continued to increase?  Has it become self-sufficient (and possibly a nation)?

Did the devs who do the story-writing cover this?  Whatever they (the devs) decide on this for the plot could open up new map/mission ideas.

SpaceWombat

Re: About Antarctica colonies (population)?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 11:56:09 pm »
The "population" of antarctica is not permanent (according to wikipedia). It never was. Not even during the whaling period (pop drops through antarctic winters). It's a research project. Cost of living down there is extremely high due to the need of import of nearly everything -as you mentioned- as well as the need of special equipment to guarantee basic survival and the low population density. And I doubt this will change during the next 100 years at least in relation to other terrains.
Just consider this: Try to build a city there with several thousand people in one spot. You will even fail to build a modern sewage system for minimum hygienic environment.
The natural ressources are also few as far as I've read about it.
The growing of population or even an emerging nation of antarctica seems quite unlikely to me.

This said I could imagine some kind of mine or research station map. Or maybe a secret military base (for submarines) or airport.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 02:21:19 pm »
Honestly I didn't check the wikipedia before bringing this up, what I know about the continent in real life I got from talking to college professors, although I didn't ask them what it would be like 80 some years from now into the future.  Also, if in the game plot the polar ice has melted, I'd imagine the climate would be a little different down there, although I'm not an expert or scientist on the subject.

I do see your point about a city - If any such town or settlement were to be built there, it wouldn't be built anything like a normal city would, given the conditions.

Then again, a lot could happen technology-wise in 80 years, as so much has happened and changed in the last 80 years and things seem to advance faster and faster.

I will say that I've seen in science news that right now (in real life) they are about to place a structure right at the south pole inhabited by a research team that, if I remember correctly, will stay there and be manned year-round, although I admit I don't remember too much from the news reports as I didn't read too far into them.  I vaguely recall something about it having solar power so it would be at least partially self-sufficient or something.

Just as a personal idea, I'd think that it could also be possible in the game for there to be some type of more permanent settlement to be under construction (but not yet finished) that could lead to special missions or maps, etc.

As far as natural resources, I heard from somewhere (can't remember where) that there actually are plenty of them down there, but we can't access them simply because of an international treaty that was designed to protect the environment there.  Was this information wrong?

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 07:55:14 pm »
Just as a personal idea, I'd think that it could also be possible in the game for there to be some type of more permanent settlement to be under construction (but not yet finished) that could lead to special missions or maps, etc.

As far as natural resources, I heard from somewhere (can't remember where) that there actually are plenty of them down there, but we can't access them simply because of an international treaty that was designed to protect the environment there.  Was this information wrong?

I do like the idea of a special mission down there.  Dunno if we're ready for that, though.  I seem to recall a mission i went on a while back that was labeled "Somewhere in Antarctica", i think.  The interesting thing was that the map had plenty of grass.

As to resources, i believe there is some oil or natural gas there, but that's about it.  Certainly no food.  Living there would be nearly equivalent to living on a desert island, except you would have potable water.  Way back when i got to chat with the crew of the plane flying in supplies to our research station down there.  The memorable fact is that the inhabitants prized the arrival of fresh produce.  "Freshies" as they called them, were so important that they took priority over personal letters.

Jagger

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 11:12:50 am »
Large amounts of oil is there, mainly in NZ territory.

South pole, split up into countries individual "ownership" (More like wardens really), and covered by international treaty, not expected to change.

I think there should be little down there, 80 years ahead, maybe some unusual science bases be attacked by aliens, either trying to disrupt learning, or trying to gather information. Either way, I think craft should be flown in from naerby territories.

The changes that would be needed to make antarctica make sense in a real life context I feel are unjustified at this point in development. There's still armours that are being made, facilities, weapons. I'd support something happening, much furthur down the track.

SpaceWombat

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 11:19:37 pm »
All I know for sure (no wiki propaganda) is that resources are few and hard to gather.
Whatever climate we will have in 80 years Antarctica is not going to be free of ice at any degree by natural influences. Ice melting will take thousands of years even if we follow catastrophic alarmism from people who make money with this (IPCC, MSM...). Actually the net ice volume of total antarctica is growing due to increased percepitation (more clouds over the ocean, still -40 or -50C over AA -> snow/ice/blizzards).

But your idea of melting ice could be a good starting point for another scenario. What if some nations started an experimented over there with some kind of primitive plants or something like this? I think there was an idea of using this method to melt frozen oxygen, hydrogen and nitrogen on other planets (Mars was the original object of interest for this as far as I remember) in order to create an atmosphere or fuel for long term missions. The darker color of the "plants" will catch more solar radiation and warm the frozen ground.
There might be some kind of experimental settlement as well. Not a large one but this would be an acceptable way of introducing such missions/story parts in my view.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 09:28:25 pm »
80 years in the future, i think it's much more likely that we'll be colonizing the shallow temperate ocean than seriously putting population in Antarctica.  If you weren't engaged in Antarctican science why would you choose to live somewhere where the outdoors are fatally cold even in summer?

But why do you have to have Antarctican cities to have missions there?

Antarctica would make a great site for hidden alien bases.  Since there are practically no people  they aliens would feel more secure against detection.

SpaceWombat

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 12:39:54 am »
I think this is half true. While they might feel save from (human) visual recognition a monochrome, plane, icy desert is also a good terrain to be observed by satellites or scout planes. Every source of heat (energy) and every moving object/subject is suspicious there. Depending on the alien stealth technology this is either a bad deal or irrelevant. If its irrelevant because humans cannot observe them anyway why would they use a terrain which is harder to defend, can be observed more easily etc. if you can drop in from orbit?

But maybe something like a thousands of years old crashed research ufo or something other from the aliens deep under the ice surface would be cool. Maybe this could be a trigger for a key tech.

You are right that cities aren't necessary. But there are lots of possibilities anyway.

Offline TroubleMaker

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 02:18:09 pm »
regarding Antarctica missions.

I'll suggest anyone to read Harry Harrison's novel of "Invasion: Earth".

---
Shortly: alien's starship crashed to National park of NY. There were two alien races onboard. Only survived alien was found chained to wall inside the ship, other (from other race) were found killed in pilot's cabin. Living alien claimed that the dead ones were the enemies of his race.

Ships of another race landed on backside of the Moon. First race personnel used Arctic science station near a South magnetic pole as a foundation for their "anti-another race" defensive system.

Later humans became doubted if their new allies are truthful. Mixed USA-USSR space mission flies to Moon in hope to meet other aliens: Robert, major from USAF and Nadya - Russian lady-linguist. Second alien's race meets them and called first ones liars and potential aggressors, who just sucking out Earth's resources (Arctic base constantly fed with uranium and so on).

Nadya puts Robert's attention on very strange similarity: both races speaking exactly the same language! After some events it is become clearly visible that both races are from one planetary system and are allied.

So, armed forces of Earth commits an assault on Arctic base. And there they locates species of both races. ALL aliens on base were killed.
---

I think, mr. Harrison will not be insulted if devs will take that storyline as a proposal for special Arctic mission(s) or something similar.

Haijo

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 10:09:05 pm »
I like the idea of an Antarctic mssion. However, I don't feel that there should be a colony to start the story. Now I don't know the mainstory (yet) but could it be possible that the aliens already established a research colony there? And that later in the game when you get an upgrade for the radar system(again I don't know if there is such a thing) that detects alien radiaton you detect the base. Then a story of some sorts could take place with new technology, like Aliens sensor apparatus and perhaps some new aliens!

Just my two cents.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 02:42:52 am »
By the same token, it might be possible to have the player research and set up or test something special in Antarctica to use against the aliens or defend Earth from them...

Or, perhaps the player's forces could retreat to somewhere special down there at some point - Honestly, I didn't read the plot as I didn't want to spoil anything for myself - I really have no idea if or how any of these random ideas could fit into it, although I'm well aware that its really up to the devs.

In the event none of the ideas here really fit in, perhaps there could just be a few simple missions, such as aliens attacking a storage area for supplies (as everything is imported), or an incoming shipment.

This brings up a new point - At present the player can build a normal base down there (last time I checked, unless I'm confusing it with one of the other X-COM/UFO re-makes), in my opinion it should be *very* expensive to do so and maintain, if at all due to having to import so much and the difficulties in maintaining a standard base in that location, although through a plot device there might potentially be a special advantage to constructing a base there (but not at the start of the game).  Perhaps the player would also have to research some type of special technology to support a base there?

EDIT: I just checked and yes, at present even the initial starting base can be built there, and it doesn't seem to be any more expensive than anywhere else.  Perhaps this could be changed so that at the start it's either too expensive, or a pop-up says something like: "You do not currently have the technology to support a base in this environment"?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 02:47:40 am by Destructavator »

Offline TroubleMaker

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 05:07:04 am »
At present the player can build a normal base down there ... in my opinion it should be *very* expensive to do so and maintain, if at all due to having to import so much and the difficulties in maintaining a standard base in that location ...  Perhaps the player would also have to research some type of special technology to support a base there?
Hmm I'm agree with high build/maintain expenses, but the mankind already have corresponding technologies, in real world at our days! It seems that in 2084 people will have even more advanced techniques, allowing to build and maintain autonomous bases.

How about mini nuclear power generator (IAEA approved, of course!) supplies electricity for melting snow and support hydroponic plantations and even farms. Also, there may be a simple storage for wastes (frozen shit, to be exact - I can't recall proper English word) to prepare them to be sent as a fertilizer to China or India. (nothing personal against both countries, just a pure fact about growing rice and other vegetation). Because of deep cooling, these substances (produced as by human, as by farm animals) may be stored there almost infinitely.
Frozen brickets may be safely sealed with plastic before transportation and so on...

So, we can have almost autonomous base, which is expensive on build, but require just a bit larger maintain costs. Ok, ok, there always is the risk of mini-Chernobyl, but... But I'm sure, 80 years may be enough to invent highly safe and robust reactors, whose will not melt a south ice cap.

Perhaps this could be changed so that at the start it's either too expensive, or a pop-up says something like: "You do not currently have the technology to support a base in this environment"?
Partially agree (see above): the building of the Antarctic base must be much more expensive than the cost of regular base building, but the difference between maintain costs should be very thin or absent at all. Also, costs of BUILDING of facilities must be higher, but not maintenance of theirs!

EDIT. few words about PHALANX emblem.
Reading wikipedia about IAEA, I've watched its flag:

Note its similarity with UNO flag: laurel wreath on blue background, enclosing the symbol of specific UNO's department. Why can't we invent similar emblem and flag, because PHALANX may not function without UNO's approval.

How about UNO's flag

Where the inner globe is partially covered with easy identifiable shield, aegis? I'm not an artist and can't draw my proposal, but... Now I'm looking for the rights of usage of UNO symbolics.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 05:23:53 am by TroubleMaker »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 10:40:05 am »
You might want to move that last part to this thread.