project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Aircraft laser model  (Read 11459 times)

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Aircraft laser model
« on: March 29, 2008, 01:05:36 pm »
Here's a suggested model for aircraft-mounted laser cannon. Two issues I'd like to discuss:
1. Should the model include the turret? I used Shiva cannon for inspiration and it had none.
2. What ammo does it use? I included a larger D-F pack, should the standard infantry DF cartridges be used?

Other feedback is welcome.

Sourceforge model link:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1928619&group_id=157793&atid=805244

ADD: it is under GPL.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: Aircraft laser model
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 01:01:00 am »
No turret is required, this is an aircraft gun, so in the event there actually is a turret it would be part of the aircraft.

I like the gun, although I'm not sure what the little bit on the side is supposed to be -- what is it and why is it there?

Regards,
Winter

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 06:14:58 am »
Thanks!

As for smaller bit - I think you mean that abovementionad large DF cell used as ammo, I applied reddish material to denote it. It doesn't tilt with the cannon and is connected to it with a flexible cable/tube.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 01:29:32 pm »
Thanks!

As for smaller bit - I think you mean that abovementionad large DF cell used as ammo, I applied reddish material to denote it. It doesn't tilt with the cannon and is connected to it with a flexible cable/tube.

Ah, right. The thing is, I don't think it would be properly visible when attached to our aircraft models, so it'd be better to remove that and leave the ammunition out of sight. We're not sure we'll use D-F reactions for aircraft cannon anyway, because by 2084 it would probably be possible to make effective battery-powered lasers with the supply of electricity an aircraft can generate.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 09:37:43 pm »
Here's an updated and textured model.
Neither Sourceforge nor forum file attachments seem to work (though file size < 256K), so I've put on another hosting:
http://narod.ru/disk/78706000/lascannon6.wings

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 11:58:40 pm »
Here's an updated and textured model.
Neither Sourceforge nor forum file attachments seem to work (though file size < 256K), so I've put on another hosting:
http://narod.ru/disk/78706000/lascannon6.wings

The front of the gun and the two cylinders at the back actually look untextured, they're that same kind of bland, featureless grey. I would suggest making at least the barrel brown and textured like the hand-held laser guns.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 06:41:12 pm »
The ballons and front were supposed to be silvery :-) Like they are made of unpainted polished metal. It might be more obvious from this angle:

Anyway, I remade the texture to look more brownish, even given the muzzle the brownish tint, so it looks bronze now. Feedback is welcome as always!

Model with a new texture - http://sourceforge.net/tracker/download.php?group_id=157793&atid=805244&file_id=274381&aid=1928619

Texture source - http://sourceforge.net/tracker/download.php?group_id=157793&atid=805244&file_id=274382&aid=1928619

Jagger

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 04:15:45 am »
I am LOVING it. For what it's worth, I'd be happy for that to represent the weapon in game, at this stage of game development, I'd say it's above par for inclusion.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 09:17:36 am »
The texture still doesn't look enough like the other lasers to make me completely happy with it, but yes, as far as I'm concerned it can go into the game as it is.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 11:35:34 am »
As for other lasers - pistol and rifle have similar texture and color scheme, indeed, but heavy handheld laser shows some deviations. So I simply tried to follow the trend :-)
Anyway, I can try adding some panels with that brownish marble-like texture once I manage to make such! :-)

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 07:49:38 pm »
How about something this?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 09:23:00 pm »
Could you extend that banding around the barrel right up to the point where it drops down?

Once that's done, I'm giving it thumbs up for inclusion.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 08:21:50 pm »
Which variant did you mean - A or B ?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 11:15:40 pm »
B, definitely B.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 07:57:48 am »
Okay, here is it, along with texture source:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1928619&group_id=157793&atid=805244

Everything is GPL.