project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Confused About the Shotgun?  (Read 5617 times)

Offline Chriswriter90

• Squad Leader
  • Zilla Response Unit
    • View Profile
Confused About the Shotgun?
« on: March 26, 2008, 01:41:33 am »
It's not really the Shotgun, It's the Ammo.

Sabot rounds have a range of 30, but use the "Close" Skill
Flechette rounds have a range of 15 but use the "Assault" Skill

Is it just me that thinks that the Skills should be swaped?

EDIT: what I mean is that...
  • Sabot rounds have more Accuracy/Range, less power, and fire 1 bullet per Sabot round; but have the "Close" skill
  • while Flechette rounds have less Accuracy/Range, more power, and fire multiple Flechettes per round; and have the "Assault" skill
  • That was in game, here online, Both ammo types have the "Assault skill

Which has the right info: Ingame or Online. Also, should this belong in the bug tracker for being an Ammo bug or a Typo?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 09:46:31 pm by Chriswriter90 »

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Confused About the Shotgun?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 12:11:10 am »
According to recent versions of weapons_human.ufo, both are slotted as "Close".  So unless this is radically changed from 2.2, i'd say it's a Typo.  I'll take care of changing the Wiki.

Edit: The ammunition pages are not editable, or at least *i* don't have that access.  Hopefully somebody with the power to do so can fix this.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 07:37:15 pm by Doctor J »

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 07:41:00 pm »
According to Blondandy's program, the actual values used by the program [V2.2] are "Close" for Sabot and "Assault" for Flechette.  See here: http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Weapon_skills_table.  On 2.3, they both should be "Close", as mentioned above.

Captain Bipto

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 12:17:43 am »
Why would you use a shotgun instead of the SMG?  Is the shotgun better in late game because of the better damage?

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 07:03:17 am »
You would use the shotgun when you wanted some variety in your game.  In terms of the given stats, the SMG equals or bests the shotgun in all but range.  In fact, the SMG is in many ways more powerful than the Assault Rifle [certainly more accurate!].

Captain Bipto

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 07:23:37 am »
Naw, there has to be a real reason for it. such as if the devs were planning on having gas shells (which exist in RL). I bet it is for damage.