project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Ufopedia: Sort equipment by category / weapons by range  (Read 2350 times)

Offline keybounce

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Ufopedia: Sort equipment by category / weapons by range
« on: March 23, 2008, 06:02:02 pm »
(I searched, but did not find anything on "ufopedia equipment").

In almost every area of the game, equipment is broken down into primary, secondary, armor, etc.

In the ufopedia, equipment is just a single alphabetical list, not categorized.

Additionally, while there is a need to easily tell what's a close range, medium range, or long range weapon, there's no breakdown by that either; I'm resorting to taking notes.

(I consider it a sign of a problem if I have to take paper notes on a modern game if the online documentation can't address simple stuff).

The docs seem inconsistent -- on one hand, some entries say that most fighting will take place at close/knife range, while other entries imply that medium/long range weapons are essential. This almost implies to me that I need my "main" combat characters to have two primary weapons, one for distance, and one for close combat.

GAAAAHHH.

(For what it's worth, I generally only use plain pistols and laser pistols in XCom. That's good enough until I'm shooting blaster bombs around corners.)

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Ufopedia: Sort equipment by category / weapons by range
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 06:33:38 am »
The UFOpedia could use some work, that is true.  It is a community project, and there is more work to be done than there are people doing the work.  Do you feel like stepping up?

(For what it's worth, I generally only use plain pistols and laser pistols in XCom. That's good enough until I'm shooting blaster bombs around corners.)

Many of the maps in UFO:AI have wide open areas that you will have to cross.  If you don't carry some rifles or other long range weapons it is likely that you will get cut down before you get within pistol range.

Offline keybounce

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 06:40:43 pm »
The UFOpedia could use some work, that is true.  It is a community project, and there is more work to be done than there are people doing the work.  Do you feel like stepping up?
How? Is there a wiki that we edit, that turns into the UFOpedia?

Many of the maps in UFO:AI have wide open areas that you will have to cross.  If you don't carry some rifles or other long range weapons it is likely that you will get cut down before you get within pistol range.
Actually, XCom's old pistols had full range across the map. Kinda spoiled me. How does range work in this game?

(Still dealing with starting equipment, haven't gotten to the first mission yet :-)

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 08:20:22 pm »
you might find this

http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Weapon_tables

useful. range means bullets fly a certain distance and then vaporise. you will notice the line you use for targeting go red.