project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Camouflage Patterns  (Read 5667 times)

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Camouflage Patterns
« on: March 23, 2008, 05:30:44 am »
Do the different patterns of the soldiers' uniforms [Desert, Jungle, etc.] make a significant difference in being seen/hit by the BEMs, or is it purely a matter of window dressing?

P.S. Why is there no camo for woodland/forest?

SpaceWombat

Re: Camouflage Patterns
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 04:10:37 pm »
At the moment they have no real use. I do not think they will have any influence in the future either. Jungle is pretty much like woodland in my view.

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 11:44:20 pm »
I am neutral on this, but IF there will be penalties/advantages, then please make an easy way to have all soldiers wear the same outfit (jungle...town...etc.).
It wouldnt be fun to change suits every time I deploy them in a new area manually... :D

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 12:05:31 am »
It's actually fairly easy to get everybody in the same clothes.  Just tick the tickbox to the left of the pattern.  Now the hard part is trying to GUESS what the terrain will be like for the area in question.  It never fails: if i think mission is in jungle, it actually turns out to be desert.  Actually, now that i'm thinking about it, the only map that comes to mind which is jungle is the druglords map.  Anyway, if it happened automatically, then it wouldn't be affecting the player; which really means it didn't need to happen in the 1st place...

SpaceWombat

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 02:08:36 pm »
The soldiers know which terrain they will face (if they do not sleep during mission briefing) and pull over the correct dress. No need for influence on the gameplay in my view.
The other point is that I'm not sure whether the aliens or at least some of the alien species might be influenced the same way humans are by simply using trousers with a camo colour scheme (if you use a night vision in dark spots it has no influence at all even for humans).

Offline Chriswriter90

• Squad Leader
  • Zilla Response Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 10:03:34 pm »
In the original X-Com, the Muton's green color scheme would sometimes go unnoticed by players during jungle and forest missions.

The same principal could be used in multiplayer, although I haven't tried the multiplayer yet.