project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Equipment Management  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Equipment Management
« on: April 21, 2008, 05:30:42 am »
I notice there is a feature request [# 1946068] asking that the sell equipment screen be modified to prevent the user from selling equipment that his soldiers are using.  I, too, have been annoyed by this, and have some related observations to share:

• Similar to the above, it is too easy to transfer items that are already equipped.  The error is not discovered until it is time to launch the ship.  If the ship is launched by double clicking on the target, you won't notice the lack until you get on the Battlescape.

• The fact that equipped items remain in storage enables the following exploit - two squads in two dropships at the same base don't need to have two sets of equipment.  As long as you have eight sets of armor in storage then both squads will have enough armor.

To summarize, the game would be improved if items that are equipped did not count against storage - these things are either in the soldier's locker or stored on the dropship.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 07:08:13 am by Doctor J »

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Equipment Management
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 10:24:02 am »
I did not like this at first

Having got used to this, I now find it quite useful. When tech becomes obsolete, selling it all is a quick way to unequip all of your troops.

Discipline is required to re-equip them with something suitable.

Sophisanmus

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 05:24:40 pm »
From my perspective, though, the small convenience of selling obsolete items off your soldiers is outweighed by the inconvenience/annoyance/frustration of inadvertently disarming your soldiers.  Especially considering the benefit of the current system is only really available to the more experienced players, and may well confound new players, some change would be beneficial.  Perhaps a notification popup when a player attempts to sell enough of an item to start stripping soldiers, if not removal of equipped quantities from the salable pool altogether.

gruush

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 07:25:39 pm »
When tech becomes obsolete, selling it all is a quick way to unequip all of your troops.

If this is a desirable feature, wouldn't it be better to fix the problem mentioned by Doctor J, and ALSO have a separate, intuitive way of unequipping all of your troops, like an "unequip all" button on the equip troops screen?