project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: how to intercept alien's movement?  (Read 5629 times)

diyuanzs

how to intercept alien's movement?
« on: March 17, 2008, 05:46:51 am »
Hi all,
I just encountered 2 or 3 battles and here's my Q.s:

1.Is there any attribute number can tell me which soldier has better chance to intercept an alien's movement?

2.why soldier only shoots 1 shot when he intercepts enemy and I'd set the return fire mode to multiple shot and set the submachine gun to 5shots?(also it happens to shot-gun with 3shots)

thx

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: how to intercept alien's movement?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 06:10:20 pm »
Welcome to UFO:AI!  I see several people have read your yet and not posted a reply.  Perhaps people are not sure about the use of the word 'intercept'.  Do you mean to hit them with a bullet?  If so, the relevant attribute is the soldier's skill with the weapon they are using.  You can see which skill applies by viewing the weapon description in the UFOpedia.  Anyway, the actual 'to hit' percentage starts with the skill number and gets modified based on distance, standing/crouching, etc.

As to your second question, i believe there is currently only one animation and sound effect for each weapon.  Your soldier is really firing, say, a five shot burst, but you only see one shot.

nemchenk

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 07:43:16 pm »
If he's talking about Reaction Fire, then the attribute is Speed, IIRC. More Speedy soldiers act before less Speedy ones. So, use Speedy soldiers in "overwatch" mode :)

As to the multiple-shot thing -- if he has set it to burst fire, he should see several shots, not just one. diyuanzs, are you sure you are setting the RF mode correctly? Make sure the tick moves into the large circle. Also, I believe there is a bug whereby if you Retry a mission, the RF modes from the last game show up in the menu, even though the game will use the default RF mode. You need to select another RF mode, then select the RF mode you want once more.

HTH,

nemchenk

diyuanzs

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 05:27:33 am »
1st. of all,my bad. English ain't my home tongue.Well, in Chinese, interrupt or intercept has same meaning...sort of like...like...taxi and cab,i guess

What I'm saying is the following situation: my soldier is hidding 2 squares away from the door and facing it. After I press the "e" button, it's alien's turn,right? If any of my enemy comes out from the door, my soldier suppose to fire at him automatically if I set his status to "auto return fire" hotkey "x" .

And what happened was the alien came out and spotted my soldier and fired at him. the stupid GI Joe didn't do anything when he saw the alien...weird,huh?

I'm 100% sure I set it to auto return fire mode, so I guess there must be a figure to tell who move first. Like if my man gotta a number, say 3 and the alien gets 5---> in this case, the alien will make the first move,which in my case, killed my man...and vice versa, of course. 

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 06:22:56 am »
1st. of all,my bad. English ain't my home tongue.Well, in Chinese, interrupt or intercept has same meaning...sort of like...like...taxi and cab,i guess

What I'm saying is the following situation: my soldier is hidding 2 squares away from the door and facing it. After I press the "e" button, it's alien's turn,right? If any of my enemy comes out from the door, my soldier suppose to fire at him automatically if I set his status to "auto return fire" hotkey "x" .

Okeh.  I think we understand each other now.  In English we would normally say "to hit".  Just to be sure, next time look at the status of  the return fire indicator at the bottom of the HUD.  Pressing 'x' on a QWERTY keyboard causes the status indicator to change.  I don't know if 'x' on a Chinese keyboard will do the same, or if you need some other key.  You can also change return fire mode by clicking the indicator on the display.  About the display, if you see an "X" that means your soldier gets no reaction fire.  'Normal' reaction fire is available when the indicator changes to single bullet.  Or maybe it's a drop.  Your soldier is eligible for multiple reaction fire shots when the indicator displays three bullets.  Does this help?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 04:34:23 pm by Doctor J »

nemchenk

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 01:55:39 pm »
I guess there must be a figure to tell who move first. Like if my man gotta a number, say 3 and the alien gets 5---> in this case, the alien will make the first move,which in my case, killed my man...and vice versa, of course. 
Yep, it is based on Speed. More Speedy soldiers/aliens get to interrupt less Speedy ones :)

And, make sure to do what Doctor J said!

HTH,

nemchenk

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 03:59:52 pm »
Personally, if my soldiers are under cover, i typically only move a few steps, kneel down, and have the mode set to multiple shots

diyuanzs

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 04:53:51 am »
thank you guys. I've solved the problem:)