project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Wiki Updates?  (Read 8683 times)

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Wiki Updates?
« on: March 14, 2008, 11:49:57 pm »
Is this the proper place to talk about modifying the wiki, or does it belong in 'Design', or where?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Wiki Updates?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 12:59:01 am »
Depends on what you want to do, I guess.

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 01:48:35 am »
Well, for starters, the "Obsoletable Equipment" page talks about having to research Grenade Launchers.  AFAIK, this info is from an older version of the game?  I'm used to playing 2.2, and i don't remember having to research them.  There are also references to Tachyon weapons, which [correct me if i'm wrong] got replaced by Particle Accelerators.  I'm ready to edit things to the current standard, but i don't want to step on anybody's toes.  I guess i first need to sort out which version the wiki is meant to cover?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 02:02:13 am »
That page is terribly out of date (last edit was September 2006). I'm not sure how you want to edit it, but pretty much the whole thing no longer applies.

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 03:33:08 pm »
The principles are good, it's just the details that are out of date.  I assume that what exists in the svn pull should be the standard [i'm not really sure about different versions]?  Anyway, i just wanted to make sure that i wasn't stepping on somebody else's toes...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 04:25:19 pm by Doctor J »

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Documentation Updates
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 11:32:40 pm »
Okeh, i started by wrapping my head around items and technologies as they exist in yesterday's svn pull.  I have created a new Tech Tree to replace the ancient document in /trunk/src/docs.  This is aimed at the campaign game, and as such leaves out multiplayer only items and also things that aren't implemented yet [like the Hovernet].  I have spread it out among three pages so that the result may be viewed without a magnifying glass.   ;)  Somebody with commit access can check it in [or would i be able to have such access?].  Feel free to ping me with suggestions or corrections.  Anyway the drawing is .odg format, as was the original.

My time for this weekend is about spoken for, so i'll try to do some wiki updates next week.

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

The attached document can be considered spoilers.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 11:34:18 pm by Doctor J »

nemchenk

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 05:24:39 pm »
Again, I was told not to touch the WIKI, lest Winter broke my fingers :P Would be nice to know which has priority, WIKI or code, and how much of the WIKI we can view as maleable...

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 07:19:54 pm »
Again, I was told not to touch the WIKI, lest Winter broke my fingers :P

Well, if they didn't want us to make changes to the WIKI, then why do they issue WIKI logins?  Anyway, i've already committed several changes to the weapon/skill pages because, as BTAxis said, what's up there is pre-2.2.  So far i've just done semantic updates, like changing "Plasma Atomizer" to "Plasma Pistol".  And if somebody wants to break my fingers, then they can darn well get busy and update it themselves.

I've also continued to make cosmetic changes to the TechTree.  It's probably not worth attaching every time, so leave me a message if want it.  There has yet to be an official comment on whether or not my submission will be used, so should i assume the devs aren't interested?

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 07:56:41 pm »
Please, don`t forget to fix also pages urls, i\e, you change Atomiser to Pistol, but link is go to Atomiser, so wiki needs to redirect.

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 05:51:26 am »
Actually i took the lazy way out.  I changed just the visible name and left the URL the same.  Besides, i don't know what else links to that, and i don't want to go breaking links i don't know about...

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Tech Tree Updates?
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 11:10:55 am »
There have been a lot of changes in the research tree/thicket for 2.3-dev.  I have therefore updated the user's tech tree document.  I also tidied up a little and removed a few items that had gotten by me - stuff that's proposed but not implemented yet.  Since the other tech tree [for developers] was named identically, i also took liberties to rename it to "usertechtree.odg".  Feel free to commit it to trunk/src/docs in place of the existing techtree.odg.

D'oh!  I see the forum no longer allows Open Office documents to be attached.  What now?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 07:10:22 pm »
Test attaching an odg document.

Okay, seems to work. You can try again, Doctor J. If it still doesn't work tell me what extension your file has, and I'll add it.

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 11:33:40 pm »
Okeh, here 'tis:

XCOM1

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 02:18:22 pm »
Any more developments on this?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 02:30:20 pm »
I can replace the document that's there now with DoctorJ's version, but I'd actually prefer if the tree was incorporated in the PDF manual. I don't know what's the status on that.