Development > Translating

Russian translation

(1/30) > >>

Zorlen:
ADD: Crappy quotes! Hope you can read without them.

ADD2: Not the qutes, its Cyrillic fonts.

I found this forum lacking such a thread :-)
I see there's a number od Russian-speaking people on the forums, so a thread on Russian translation would be handy anyway.

The fist thing I stumbled upon reading msgids is one for Bolter rifle. Russian translation sounds like (a word that I cannot write here) which means "Needle-thrower". That sounded pretty good to me, since I know no good Russian equivalent for bolt or bolter, and Bolter rifle shoots needle-like projectiles. But the proposed alien Needler weapon would probably have the same translation. So I suggest to simply transliterate Bolter rifle into (ah, no Cyrillics, so translit then) "Boltyernoye ruzhjyo", "Boltyernaya vintovka" or simply "Boltyer". This names were used in Warhammer 40k translations, so this are not complete neologisms.

Kildor:
I`m not agree.
There is not so many difference between needle and bolt, and there are some more things, translated not word-per-word, like nanocomposite armour.

PS: can you jabber me? kildor@jabber.ru

Zorlen:
I can't make Jabber working there, only ICQ. Seems to be firewalled.
As for needle vs. bolt - I was saying that the current translation of Bolter rifle was fine until another UFO:AI weapon - alien Needler - was proposed. Mentioning needles for Bolter may cause confusion with Needler.

nemchenk:
Good idea -- useful project.

Well, the "bolt" in English could be from a crossbow bolt. So, something closer to "strela". But that does sound like a rubbish weapon in Russian :D Anyone know what exactly an "arbalet" shoots in Russian?

Also, who on Earth wrote "shturmovaya vintovka"? Avtomat it has always been, AFAIK. AK -- Avtomat Kalashnikova.

Just my 2 kopeykii  ;)

nemchenk

Kildor:
memchenk, there are 'bolt' in historical texts, stories, and 'strela' in casual speaches.

And there are some more problems with 'avtomat', 'pulemet', 'ruchnoj pulemet' and 'shturmovaja vintovka'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version