project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: troop numbers and ranks.  (Read 6302 times)

knightsubzero

troop numbers and ranks.
« on: March 13, 2008, 05:02:59 am »
it would be nice to have more troops in each aircraft, perhaps as many as 12 or 14.

also the troops dont seem to increase in rank, is this a feature that hasnt been added yet, or is the amount of missions required to increase the rank set way too high.

vehicles will be a great addition to the game especailly when your troop levels are low.

wotwot

Re: troop numbers and ranks.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 11:19:02 pm »
Your soldiers will gain rank but much more slowly than in old xcom games.

knightsubzero

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 01:23:33 am »
ok, it maybe needs to be increased a little then, i have had several months go by and no gain in rank.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 11:25:13 pm »
it would be nice to have more troops in each aircraft
that's planned for the future.

also the troops dont seem to increase in rank, is this a feature that hasnt been added yet, or is the amount of missions required to increase the rank set way too high.

vehicles will be a great addition to the game especailly when your troop levels are low.
The next release will probably have a new experience system, and un-manned vehicles.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 01:01:16 am »
The next release will probably have a new experience system, and un-manned vehicles.

I'd like to add some nuance here: that goes for the "next release" as in 2.3. There will also be a 2.2.1 release in the near future, which does not contain these things. It's mainly for bug fixes.

knightsubzero

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 02:05:39 am »
sounds awsome thanks. ;D

i got one troop ranked up today which was great....she performed bravely...

Knathrek

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 10:46:02 am »
I agree about ranks.
Make it X-com like!! =)

Sarkus

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 09:39:22 pm »
I think the ranks are buggy in 2.2.

I'm on Mission 39 of a campaign and have more than a few soldiers reach 20+ missions with a similar number of kills.  Only one soldier has ever been promoted, and he actually has fewer missions and kills than a lot of others.

Aiki-Knight

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 11:36:14 pm »
Actually, the ranks work. At first, I thought they hadn't been implemented yet. You just need to do a lot more to get promoted. Once your soldier's "mind" (which I consider overall skill, experience) stat reaches 50, he/she gets promoted to Lance-Corporal. 55 Corporal, 60 Sergeant, 65 Warrant Officer (I have 3), 70 Senior Warrant Officer (just got my first one).

Rank is assigned not purely based on kills, but rather "mind". Indeed, a leader must have the brain to lead; racking up kills is not necessarily a sole indicator of leadership ability. An agent gets one point of "mind" per mission, leading to a slow but sure accumulation of experience. Which agent gets a kill/kills in a mission is largely up to chance, but the agents with growing combat experience over time are likely the ones best suited to leadership.

It does take a long time to reach those first ranks, but keep sending your vets out on missions, and they'll get promoted. It's better than having an agent go on three missions in one day and reaching sergeant, as was possible in the XCOM games.

The rank insignia are a bit foreign to me (I'm in Canada), but that's fine - they seem European-inspired, and that's fine.

Koa Bosk

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 02:51:19 am »
I have a question on this, im running 2.2.1.

I had two guys, one was 52 the other 54 in mind rank and the one with the 52 got promoted first. Why is this, is there something more then mind that promotes?