project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Weapon Balancing  (Read 3855 times)

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Weapon Balancing
« on: March 12, 2008, 10:23:44 pm »
I think a few weapons are unbalanced. Take knife.
Its very difficult to sneak up on aliens.

Flame thrower:
its big fun (though I would love to break wooden walls with it) but the problem is you really need to kinda move right up to the enemy... Maybe the range should be extended, or more target squares should be combatted with it. Also i think inferno sweep and inferno is too similar

Grenade launcher:
I think this is a very good weapon actually, you can kill groups of aliens rather nicely with it but the range part is REALLY killing the weapon. Later in the game, the long rifles just pick my guys apart. It makes no sense to run around with a weapon that has such a low range. Sure, you may use it when the map has many buildings etc.. but there are simply better overall weapons imho

Pistol:
I am fine with it, but maybe single shots could be made cheaper?

Bolt Rifle:
Cannonade is very cool, no complaint. The snapshot and precision shot however is kinda annoying... I think it could need a slight boost. But I am ok with it as it is.

Sniper Rifle:
Sorry, it sucks. Headshot takes up 24 points? And normal movement is 31, so what am I supposed to do, take a position somewhere on the map.. and wait. But the aliens will shoot at me too and hit me much easier with their long range weapons...  and if i actually move, i can do only one shot, which normally miss. Compare this to a weapon that can fire multiple times.

Grenades:
Not sure... they kinda roll around and miss too often, and they block a hand, thus preventing the use of a normal weapon kinda...

Submachine gun:
This is kinda the best weapon, even though its only secondary.
I can fire SO MANY SHOTS with it, i can happily use reaction fire... yes, it doesnt do a lot of damage, but i think firing SO MUCH is simply better. sooner or later the alien just is dead.

Missile thrower:
I think its underpowered. The exploding missile hardly kills an alien on first shot for me. And reloading takes a lot of points... and we cant destroy buildings with it... and there are no waypoints... and, well actually, the other weapons are just better!

Not sure about the other weapons... I am not yet an expert but i think the machine gun is useless, especially compared to assault rifle (which is much better) and the submachine gun is a lot better than the machine gun too.

I think these issues should be considered. It would be cool if weapons that are too similar could be modified a bit to reflect different needs. I would also like to see a somewhat heavier pistol-type weapon. Something like a huge desert eagle or magnum or something, maybe with a bit longer range and power but heavier handling cost.
Also what could be fun, a kinda whip that has a limited range (but higher than knife). Something like an ultra-thin whip but supersharp... guess you know what i mean ;)

Anyway, in general I am ok with the weapons because I get to choose - and not elect those weapons that I feel are less useful :)

Ankheg

Re: Weapon Balancing
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 10:47:45 pm »
knife
there's always "uselles-for-last-emergency-weapon" in many games. Why not have it here? )

Grenade Launcher
It has such good characteristic as a parabolla trajectory.
And if correctly use rolling qualities of grenades, you can find them good use in buildings.
And don't forget to change types of grenades. IC must help not less then simple kinetic damaging weapons.

Sniper Rifles.
I think it's normal for one sure kill use 24 points. It's pretty accurate and deadly.

Kamuflaro

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 10:21:11 pm »
Speakin of TRUNK here:

The grenade launcher is overpowered on city and other maps where you got a lot of cover. You can bounce for extra range... Really the best gun ingame right now.

The sniper is ok, you just got to use it in round 1. Then you indeed take a position and camp with reaction fire. It's realistic to hardly be able to move when trying to snipe! A sniper needs a lot of time to aim with - also you better crouch/lay down.
31 TU standard, cost for a crouching move is 3, cost for a turn is 1, shooting and going back to cover takes 24+3, a perfect turn imo. Too bad aliens won't expose themselves like that. :D

Yeah the rocket launcher is underpowered, it can't match the grenade launcher until ppl can aim for the floor.

grenades are pretty realistic, but quite useless the way I play. You just need to put them in the belt and reserve 11 points for a throw rather than 8.

The flame thrower is huge, lowers alien moral afaik :D Toast a couple of alien and let them clean out the rest themselves >:)

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 07:39:32 am »
Sniper Rifle:
Sorry, it sucks. Headshot takes up 24 points? And normal movement is 31, so what am I supposed to do, take a position somewhere on the map.. and wait. But the aliens will shoot at me too and hit me much easier with their long range weapons...  and if i actually move, i can do only one shot, which normally miss. Compare this to a weapon that can fire multiple times.

!?!  IMHO the Sniper Rifle is the best.  Give it to a soldier with good Sniper skill, and crouch down when the enemy is in sight.  Sure, Headshot is expensive, so don't use it too often.  I can consistently bring down my foes using the 12 TU shot [on easy].  AFAIK, Headshot would only be needed when the target is heavily armored.

jeric

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 04:46:39 pm »
I must admit everthing is balanced perfectly. I am an avid statagey gamer and I find no faults even with respect to to time management. The sniper rifle maybe too powerful acualley. Lock on with Plasma Knife is great too. I can't wait to attach it to enemy vehicles like a sticky bomb.

holyangel

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 11:06:10 am »
laser rifle is a powerful weapon It's burst firing mode only use 13 pionts timeunit
but it's very precisie

SpartanMarine88

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 08:49:58 pm »
set flamethrower to multi shot reaction fire in city maps, and it is the best weapon any aliens come around a corner or out of a building are toast, great to set up ambushes with. 1 shots anything and everything.

knightsubzero

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 05:26:30 am »
you just need to learn how to use it a bit better, there is nothing wrong with the weapons especially the sniper rifle (it friggin rocks), try and use stratergy, certain weapons have certain ranges, and certain soldiers are better at using certain weapons.

out in the open the flame thrower is useless (which is how it should be, its a flame thrower not an ion cannon), inside buildings and alien ships, its awsome.

on big open maps, the sniper rifle is really the only weapon, keep a pistol handy and switch weapons when you move indoors, or you can keep your snipers outside the buildings.